Lucille Ball RKO Comedy Collection Vol. 1

Shemp

Warner Archive now has the 4 new "Columbia Collection" titles available on its website.

AND...

It has announced, and has available for August 2 pre-order, a 2-DVD set The Lucille Ball RKO Comedy Collection Vol. 1 (note, it says Vol. 1).

From Warner Archive's listing...

THE LUCILLE BALL RKO COMEDY COLLECTION VOL. 1

Long before she was crowned the queen of TV, Lucille Ball reigned as the "Queen of the Bs" for RKO Pictures, appearing in over 43 films in under a decade. Although she had yet to find her niche, Lucy's prodigious talents, grace and charm as a performer found her much in demand across a wide variety of movies. This collection brings together three rarely seen cinematic treasures from Lucy's RKO days, giving modern audiences a chance to witness a star on the rise. 3 Films on 2 DVDs.

FILMS INCLUDED:

GO CHASE YOURSELF (1938) Before she hitched her hilarious antics to Vincente Minnelli's The Long, Long Trailer, Lucy joined Joe Penner and a slightly shorter trailer in this madcap romp. After bank robbers use her husband's camper to cover their getaway, Carol Meeley (Ball) sets out to prove her hubby is far too dumb to commit a crime.

NEXT TIME I MARRY (1938) Lucy moves up to leading lady in this screwball comedy, served up with inspired humor by Garson Kanin in one of his earliest directorial efforts. In order to claim her inheritance, heiress Nancy Crocker Fleming (Ball) must marry a "plain American Joe." So she does what any self-respecting debutante would do ¬ she hires a husband.

LOOK WHO'S LAUGHING (1941) An alluring and glamorous Lucy enjoys top billing in this feature length satire based on the long running Fibber McGee and Molly radio series. Joining Lucy and the McGees (Jim and Marion Jordan) in this rollicking satire are Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy, who see Fibber try to persuade an aircraft company to set up shop in the small town of Wistful Vista. James V. Kern, who would later direct I Love Lucy, pens the tale, while screen pioneer Allan Dwan directs.

1000239110_f.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AND...

It has announced, and has available for August 2 pre-order, a 2-DVD set The Lucille Ball RKO Comedy Collection Vol. 1 (note, it says Vol. 1).

From Warner Archive's listing...

1000239110_f.jpg

AMAZING! :HALKING: The "Volume 1" part is very encouraging. Take note DVD peopel -- THIS is how it is done! I can't wait for this. Great cover art, and great film choices! Next Time I Marry and Go Chase Yourself in particular.

Two thins...

1. Do you think The Big Street really fits into a COMEDY Collection? LOL

2. The Big Street is already available on DVD. ;)

Oh yeah, comedy, what was i thinking? LOL! I was just thinking RKO, so think how many dramas they could release under a Lucillle Ball Best RKO drama collection later on, LOL! And i know it's already released but when has that ever stopped them before.

Is he in that? Saw the film many years ago on BBC2. I have always liked Charlie McCarthy though, but thought Edgar Bergen was a terrible ventriloquist.

But Mr Bergen was the world's most famous ventriloquist though with the most impressive career, who is this Hamilton giuy you are talking about?

But Mr Bergen was the world's most famous ventriloquist though with the most impressive career, who is this Hamilton giuy you are talking about?

He was a great comedian, and his dummy characters (Charlie, Effie, Mortimer) were very funny, but visibly he was awful. Best ventriloquist was the late British comedian Ray Alan.

He was a great comedian, and his dummy characters (Charlie, Effie, Mortimer) were very funny, but visibly he was awful. Best ventriloquist was the late British comedian Ray Alan.

Now you see, never heard of your guy. However, as i recall Bergen, you're right, he certainly made it obvious that his lips were moving if that's what bothers you about him, in the US he was regarded as a premier entertainer because of his material, his many famous characters and his longevity. Not to mention the fact that he gave us beautiful Candice, LOL!

Neil Hamilton - commissioner Gordon.

And yes, it was Bergen's lips movements which were so obvious. Ray Alan was a very popular ventriloquist his dummy was Lord Charles - the ever so slightly drunk monocled gent.

http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/5912864

Still do not recall ever seeing that particular gentleman anywhere even though i grew up on British shows. Ever see the guy on SOAP that was a ventriloquist, what did you think of him?

Vaguely recall the guy on Soap, it was never a show I really had any interest in. Ray Alan was on hundreds of British TV shows (variety shows, game shows/panel shows) and even worked with Laurel and Hardy on their 50s tour. I think Shari Lewis was good from what I recall of her Saturday 15min BBC1 teatime shows.

Vaguely recall the guy on Soap, it was never a show I really had any interest in. Ray Alan was on hundreds of British TV shows (variety shows, game shows/panel shows) and even worked with Laurel and Hardy on their 50s tour. I think Shari Lewis was good from what I recall of her Saturday 15min BBC1 teatime shows.

Oh yes, Shari was a beloved icon in that world. How about the Broadway hit Avenue Q, ever see that? And there's a current act in Vegas with one guy who has several characters, i've seen clips online but i forget his name.

Have heard of it, but never seen it. Getting back to Edgar Bergen, saw him recently in a rare dramatic role as a good guy in an early Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episode, though one still expcets to see or hear Charlie McCarthy. Great foil for WC Fields - someone who Lucille never worked with sadly.

Archived