Lucille Ball RKO Comedy Collection Vol. 1

Shemp

Have heard of it, but never seen it. Getting back to Edgar Bergen, saw him recently in a rare dramatic role as a good guy in an early Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episode, though one still expcets to see or hear Charlie McCarthy. Great foil for WC Fields - someone who Lucille never worked with sadly.

I know, Lucy also missed working with Laurel and Hardy and the great Chaplin of course, but she did do that one sketch with Buster Keaton on a special so at least she got to work with one of the era's greatest, he had mentored her in the beginning also.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any other nominations for Volume 2 in addition to the Annabel Double Feature? Since they're going for comedy, I hope the third spot is taken by Beauty For The Asking or Seven Days Leave.

Except I don't remember Beauty as a comedy but then I haven't seen it in years. Perhaps there'll be a Vol THREE with all dramas, hopefully including Five Came Back! After all, they could milk this to death! ;)

Beauty isn't a comedy...

This is superb news! Just a heads up to anyone not familiar with the archive collection: movies are never remastered, discs are simply DVD-Rs (with labels) and theres a chapter break every 10 minutes. Still, a great way to finally get our hands on these in an official format!

Beauty isn't a comedy...

This is superb news! Just a heads up to anyone not familiar with the archive collection: movies are never remastered, discs are simply DVD-Rs (with labels) and theres a chapter break every 10 minutes. Still, a great way to finally get our hands on these in an official format!

I agree, i dun't care how they release them as long as they RE release them.

When? Where? Who? How? The Three Stooges and The great Marx Brothers yes.

She introduced them in the (1943 ?) radio show Stan's Wedding which was part of the series MAIL CALL. The boys mention her somewhere in the radio show (before the actual sketch if I remember rightly). I haven't heard this in a long time, so can't actually recall if she actually works with them, but it certainly appears as though she were there with them at the radio studio during the recording. So, really, she worked with them in the same capacity as she worked with Harold Lloyd.

She introduced them in the (1943 ?) radio show Stan's Wedding which was part of the series MAIL CALL. The boys mention her somewhere in the radio show (before the actual sketch if I remember rightly). I haven't heard this in a long time, so can't actually recall if she actually works with them, but it certainly appears as though she were there with them at the radio studio during the recording. So, really, she worked with them in the same capacity as she worked with Harold Lloyd.

Had no idea, i guess if you include the radio work she did we can then include many others. Harold Lloyd directed one of her movies didn't he?

She DID work with Laurel and Hardy though.......

As did Desi, on the 1942 Hollywood Victory Caravan national tour, a celebrity war bond drive. Laurel & Hardy, Groucho Marx, Desi Arnaz, others.

hvc2.jpg

Newsreel footage of this turns up every now and then (has been on Youtube, but I can't find it there today). The unedited, sound & silent newsreel footage is included in its entirety as a DVD bonus on Warner Home Video's IN THIS OUR LIFE (1942). Has some nice moments with Stan & Babe trying to drive their jeep, with Desi sitting in the back breaking up laughing.

And don't forget Abbott and Costello, Leon Errol, Edgar Kennedy. Did she ever work with Gracie Allen? Not sure if she ever did a Burns and Allen radio show

Lucy was on Burns and Allen radio show. Gracie also did a Jell-O commercial with Lucy at the end of the My Favorite Husband episode "College Homecoming."

Lucy was on Burns and Allen radio show. Gracie also did a Jell-O commercial with Lucy at the end of the My Favorite Husband episode "College Homecoming."

Did you refer to that great encyclopedia of Lucy info, LUCILLE BALL FAQ, to supply that information? LOL! Ebverything is in there but the Ricardo's KITCHEN SINK.

• 5 weeks later...

Some specialty DVD stores actually keep a selection of the DVDs in stock, but they are few and far between.

What irks me is, they should release a nice commercial boxed set with five or six movies at once. I'm sure there's a bigger market for these movies than they'll be getting through selling it solely through the archive system.

Archived