Lucy Fest 2013 -- August 1 - 4

Brock

Also, I bought this photo from Lucy's home that is still in its original frame. You may remember it from the 2010 Susie Morton Auction... which is where the original owner (Ric Wyman) bought it. Brock has another one on hold, but they dont have the documentation, which is nuts, but I bought it anyways... the dealer is contacting Ric about it.

Apparently the "owner" is out of town it will look for the certificate and maybe provide copies. I couldn't understand why the original certificates wouldn't be with each photos, but I see in the original heritage auction the three individual photos share one certificate of authenticity from the Widow.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I bought this photo from Lucy's home that is still in its original frame. You may remember it from the 2010 Susie Morton Auction... which is where the original owner (Ric Wyman) bought it. Brock has another one on hold, but they dont have the documentation, which is nuts, but I bought it anyways... the dealer is contacting Ric about it.

1013665_439322922832745_1089896139_n.jpg

Guess the get up she wears in that Rock Hudson episode wasn't that far off the mark huh?

Excellent recaps. They turned someone away when wanting to buy tickets just two minutes after an event started? Gee that's good customer service! :marionstrong:

I did many of the same events as already described. The only thing I would add would be the Tropicana Room dinner this evening. It was lasagna - which tasted decent, but the portions were a little small...but then again the portions of food a festival meal events are usually a touch small for my tastes. We watched the I love Lucy episode "Lucy Goes to the Hospital" in honor of Little Ricky's - and Desi Jr.'s - 60th birthday this year. The Tropicana Room was pretty well maxed out for attendance, and the event was decent. The only problem was that someone tampered with with the sound system and we couldn't hear most of the episode. It finally got solved just before Ricky went to the window to see the newborn Little Ricky.

Bad sound huh, guess it wasn't just ME after all.

Apparently the "owner" is out of town it will look for the certificate and maybe provide copies. I couldn't understand why the original certificates wouldn't be with each photos, but I see in the original heritage auction the three individual photos share one certificate of authenticity from the Widow.

Really? But, that would make sense that there is only one certificate... I wouldn't mind a copy, I just want some sort of documentation.

UPDATE: 8/2/13

So, here's my mid-day recap. Started the morning at the Lucy-Ethel Photo Opp.. which started 25 minutes late because the photographer was late. If that was not enough, some people had to wait an hour and a half just to get their photo taken in the same set for the third straight year. Then I finally got to do audio tour with Lucie... I really enjoyed it, she was very full of life as always and informative. There are actually a lot of new costumes, dresses and props this year including Lucy's blue suit with the pink shirt underneath from the LWL publicity shots, her ukelele from "Little Ricky Gets Stage Fright", her necklace from "The Operetta" and more (I will post pictures later). Then I went to the lunch with Gregg which was amazing. He had a lot of new material including a much longer version of the first joint TV appearance of L+D on Ed Wynn (1949)- which was hilarious... Lucy was in a costume similar to her "wicked city woman" one from ILL. He also had segments from the 1962 Danny Kaye Special which was great, Im sure Brock will post details better than mine, lol. Also, Gregg leaked that the BluRay first season is set to be released in March 2014 and there will be another DVD featuring all the colorized episodes (Christmas, Scotland, Italian Movie), and the Christmas episode is said to be updated. Brock will have better details I assume. Also, some lost footage of the flashback scenes were found (made when Lucy on maternity leave... instead of doing a straight re-run they added the flashback scenes in the beginning to avoid confusion in the storyline), and the complete pilot including the lost opening title, etc. Well, off I go... talk to everyone soon!

UPDATE: 8/2/13

So, here's my mid-day recap. Started the morning at the Lucy-Ethel Photo Opp.. which started 25 minutes late because the photographer was late. If that was not enough, some people had to wait an hour and a half just to get their photo taken in the same set for the third straight year. Then I finally got to do audio tour with Lucie... I really enjoyed it, she was very full of life as always and informative. There are actually a lot of new costumes, dresses and props this year including Lucy's blue suit with the pink shirt underneath from the LWL publicity shots, her ukelele from "Little Ricky Gets Stage Fright", her necklace from "The Operetta" and more (I will post pictures later). Then I went to the lunch with Gregg which was amazing. He had a lot of new material including a much longer version of the first joint TV appearance of L+D on Ed Wynn (1949)- which was hilarious... Lucy was in a costume similar to her "wicked city woman" one from ILL. He also had segments from the 1962 Danny Kaye Special which was great, Im sure Brock will post details better than mine, lol. Also, Gregg leaked that the BluRay first season is set to be released in March 2014 and there will be another DVD featuring all the colorized episodes (Christmas, Scotland, Italian Movie), and the Christmas episode is said to be updated. Brock will have better details I assume. Also, some lost footage of the flashback scenes were found (made when Lucy on maternity leave... instead of doing a straight re-run they added the flashback scenes in the beginning to avoid confusion in the storyline), and the complete pilot including the lost opening title, etc. Well, off I go... talk to everyone soon!

W O W , Lucy on Blu Ray, season one in 2014, what terrific news. Ask him about the ENTIRE series IN COLOR to see what he thinks.

Nope, but Gypsy and I got to chat with her a little bit. Wanda's very sweet. She was concerned if we were cold and then said she liked my hoodie. Lol

Everybody always says how nice this fine lady is, you're confirming it yet again. I'm really curious as to your first impressions of Jamestown, the Lucy Museum and everything else in general, and Gypsy's too of course.

I’m not sure what I can add to Justin’s great recap, but I’ll give it a shot!

After my last recap, Pandora Comedy presented an interesting showcase of comedians at the Reg Lenna Civic Centre. Hosted, as I mentioned last night, by Tammy Pascateli, she was very funny again but I was slightly disappointed a lot of her routine was recycled from her last Jamestown appearance. On the whole, the majority of the comedians presented last night were very good – particularly Jackie Kashian and Harrison Greenbaum. Keith Alberstadt was funny, but I didn’t find his set as engaging as the other. As for Joe Machi, the less said the better. Actually, I will say two things.

1. Saying unfunny things while holding a coke can and impersonating the awkwardness of Jeremy Hotz does not a comedian make.
  2. A seven minute set on the merits of using the n-word might not…well, there is a time and a place for everything.

After that, it was off to the Cherry Lounge to pick up dinner. It is a bit dingy, but the food is good. It is also entertaining to go there in the evening and watch the real Jamestown Hussies (not Taylor and Gypsy) on the stroll – and the barflies lapping it up.

Burger eaten, leftover work completed, it was off to bed.

My day today started with breakfast in the lobby of the hotel as I was fully expecting another round of exciting bagels and pre-wrapped Danish on Wanda’s cruise. Anyway, it was a good breakfast and I had a chance to talk a bit to T. Faye about the weekend – and commend her for not losing her mind at yesterday’s Trivia Fiasco. She’s great!

Then, it was off to the boat cruise leaving from the Lucille Ball Memorial Park. It was very well attended compared to cruises from the last year or two. I’m sure it had a lot to do with the wonderful company that is Wanda Clark. Lining up, I met up almost immediately with Maggie and her dad and we talked for a while. I took a wild stab at someone in the crowd I thought were Taylor and Gypsy. WRONG! They were, however, the first people we saw on the upper deck. I think though Gypsy spotted us first!

Wanda spoke and held court in the lower deck while Maggie, Taylor, Gypsy, my mom and I stayed enjoying the breeze on the upper. Wanda’s talk was piped through to the top.

Missing the action, Maggie and I decided to go down below for a bit to see the action, but the “Jamestown Hussies” stayed put. Lol Once down there it was a bit difficult to get back upstairs until the food was served. It was a full meal of roast beef, pasta, salad, and fried something-or-other (what was that, Taylor or Gyp?) but still full from breakfast and another lunch looming with Gregg Oppenheimer, some of us decided to skip the meal.

We got our money’s worth out of the cruise. It was extra long. The captain usually turns the boat around before the large bridge that spans Lake Chautauqua, but for the first time he went under it to take a loop around Bemus Point. It looks pretty cool around that area and wouldn’t mind going for a drive.

Mike Elliott was also on board with Steve. They sat down below but Mike came up to schmooze on the return voyage.

Taylor and Gyp went to Lucy Lane before the boat and Maggie, our parents and me, wanted to go afterwards but with the extended journey it was impossible. As soon as the boat docked it was a race back to the Tropicana Room for the lunch with Gregg Oppenheimer.

We got there just by the skin of our teeth. Four of us were in line and they told us there were only two more seats left. :o After some persuasion, they eventually squeezed everyone in.

As Justin mentioned, Gregg brought some wonderful film footage with him. My absolute favourite were the segments from Danny Kaye directed by Jess. It was wonderful seeing certain segments in their entirety – and in living colour! Lucy and Danny worked so well together and, aside from the popcorn incident, it’s clear they knew it!

I won’t repeat the juicy DVD tidbits that Gregg dropped, but it is very exciting! The food wasn’t bad either. I chose spaghetti and meatballs over the pork. The meatballs were quite tasty but the sauce was unusually sweet.

After lunch, Maggie, Justin and I met up at Lucy Lane to peruse the sales, take a tour of the house, and chat with the Rapaports. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and the prices on a lot of the vintage items were fantastic as well! The house has been so beautifully restored, although it is due for a paint job in a few months on the outside. Even though I have been in the house many times, there is still a very special feeling being inside the Hunt house. If those walls could talk!

Coincidentally, as we were getting ready to leave Bruce and Shanan of Unforgettable Licensing were visiting the property. Unforgettable is the company which handles the licencing for using Lucy and Desi’s images on merchandise. It sounds like they have a lot of interesting products in the pipeline this year.

Getting back to Jamestown a little while later, it was back to the train station and I was surprised to find a real collectors show had sprung up overnight in the large room previously overwhelming the slim pickings in the silent auction. There is a great stall with vintage movie posters and lobby cards, and a table from Su Ewing with souvenirs from past Lucy Festivals.

All afternoon chocolate wrapping and grape stomping competitions are taking place outside the train station. While I was there, some of the comedians from last night’s competition and this afternoon’s GIs of Comedy were taking their turn in the vats. The comedians didn’t hesitate to chug some of the fruits of their labour afterwards…despite the fact the grapes have been stomped by various pairs of feet throughout the day. I hope nobody gets Athlete’s Mouth.

I wanted to go to the GIs of Comedy, but I needed to come back to the hotel and check back on a couple of things. Now, I am resting my feet, writing this, watching Doris Day and La Wickes in It Happened to Jane on TCM and getting ready for Kathleen Madigan tonight!

Everybody always says how nice this fine lady is, you're confirming it yet again. I'm really curious as to your first impressions of Jamestown, the Lucy Museum and everything else in general, and Gypsy's too of course.

Love Jamestown. It actually reminds me a lot of my own city and Celeron reminds us of our hometown. It just seems to me to be a familiar place, like I've been here before. I could live here.

The Lucy museum was nice, but not worth the 20-dollar admissions fee if you ask me. I think knowing what a terrible job the center is doing to Lucy's legacy colored our opinions a bit. We took pictures even though we've heard that's forbidden. Hehehe.

This morning we went over to Celeron and walked along Lucy Lane until we came to the childhood house. They were putting together things for the garage sale and Bill R. took us through the house, which was super duper awesome. We'll probably go back later this weekend. We're off to see Kathleen Madigan tonight.

Love Jamestown. It actually reminds me a lot of my own city and Celeron reminds us of our hometown. It just seems to me to be a familiar place, like I've been here before. I could live here.

The Lucy museum was nice, but not worth the 20-dollar admissions fee if you ask me. I think knowing what a terrible job the center is doing to Lucy's legacy colored our opinions a bit. We took pictures even though we've heard that's forbidden. Hehehe.

This morning we went over to Celeron and walked along Lucy Lane until we came to the childhood house. They were putting together things for the garage sale and Bill R. took us through the house, which was super duper awesome. We'll probably go back later this weekend. We're off to see Kathleen Madigan tonight.

Cant wait to meet you Taylor!

I took the cemetery tour this afternoon, and I enjoyed it. The bus transportation between downtown and the cemetery was a great addition. Some of the material/info during the tour I remembered from two years and some was either new or I forgot it. Either way, I'm glad took the tour again, and I highly recommend it.

I ran into a family who has tickets to the Cemetery Tour at 4:00 on Saturday. Anyone who's interested in taking the cemtery tour at that time can stop by the info/ticket booth at the Train Station and inquire about it. (www.lucycomedyfest.com says this tour is sold out, but stop by the train station and they can hook you up, assuming someone else hasn't gotten their first.)

I went to the GIs of Comedy this evening, and I was totally awed! It was an incredible show and well worth the $10. The comedy was funny and respectful, and the tributes to the current servicemen and servicewomen as well as the veterans was terrific! I'd go see them again any day. :)

Finishing my recap...

After my midday recap I went to 59 Lucy Lane where I met with Brock and Maggie as he said. He covered the details above. But I really enjoyed finally being able to walk through the house- it was quite an experience. Plus, thanks for being our tour guide, Brock... but I think that girl had you beat. After our long visit there I went to the Lucy-Ethel dinner show at the Willow Bay theatre with Diane & Rhonda. The meal was chicken cordon bleu w/ baked potato and pound cake with fresh peaches as the desert. The chicken was dry and everything else average... but I barely had any appetite as we had just eaten 2 or so hours earlier. But the actual show was amazing. I loved having Diane back... she made some occasional unscripted dirty jokes and they had great audience participation. It was very well done and was full of laughs and costume changes. They did a great rendition of "Shortnin' Bread" with Lucy on the rope behind Ethel. However, many people were upset because they ignored the assigned seating and did general admission. Then I went back to the hotel for a short time to upload my pictures and got ready for Kathleen Madigan. At the show, they had Tammy again as the surprise opener... but her material was 75% recycled from last year. I thought Kathleen was alright... she was funny but barely gave me any good belly laughs. However, the turn out was great, it seemed almost sold out from my view on the first level. The comedians always seem to draw more locals. In the end, the day was great and I can't wait for my last day tomorrow. Anyways, I'm off to bed!

but I think that girl had you beat.

I agree entirely! :lucyhaha:

Anyways, I'm off to bed!

See you tomorrow.

Re: Tammy: Thank god that guy had the gall to check his watch (was it you? lol) or else that 75% would be significantly higher. ;)

Who exactly is this Bill Rappoport, husband of Mary, I used to hear about? Why is he spending a fortune keeping Lucy's legacy alive and why isn't HE running the Museum?

Who exactly is this Bill Rappoport, husband of Mary, I used to hear about? Why is he spending a fortune keeping Lucy's legacy alive and why isn't HE running the Museum?

I don't know, but thank God the museum doesn't own Lucy Lane. Lol. We just got back from the hometown tour, which was very long but interesting I guess. A lot of the places where Lucy went and/or worked at around here are no longer there so sometimes we just looked at empty spaces. Wasn't really worth taking any pics or anything.

The cemetery tour yesterday was ... interesting. I liked the fact that we were on a horse-drawn cart. But there were actors who portrayed the different people in Lucy's life at their gravesites and while we have to give them an A for effort, some of it was just cringeworthy. The little boy who was sposed to play Warner Erickson didn't want to do it this year, so they had Mrs. Erickson stand at the boy's grave with an empty wheelchair and talk to thin air. The guy who played Ed Peterson acted all goofy and was drinking green liquid out of a flask and his teeth were stained green. Thank God they didn't have Lucy or DeDe actors. The tour guide kept calling Cleo "Chloe." The guy playing Johnny Davita was too old and fat to play a 21-year-old wannabe gangster and also got names and dates wrong. Me and Gypsy would loudly mutter the correct info whenever they got something wrong. Lol

Wow on that cemetery tour. I did not know such a tour existed. Can't they just make the cemetery a stop on the town tour like they use to and let everyone pay their respects. I don't think we need bad acting to tell a story most coming there should know.

Wow on that cemetery tour. I did not know such a tour existed. Can't they just make the cemetery a stop on the town tour like they use to and let everyone pay their respects. I don't think we need bad acting to tell a story most coming there should know.

They stop at Lucy's grave too on the hometown tour and let people get out and take pics.

Archived