The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

Except that dress is hideous! I swear in that "Golden Girls" heyday whomever designed their gowns and "dressy" dresses must have been some queen on crack! Ugh! :lucydisgust:

I remember at the time hating the fact that they always had Betty in little old lady FLOWERED dresses, those were the worst on her, made her look ancient. But come to think of it, you're right, when they wore evening gowns they sometimes were over the top.

True, but Bette's clothes were never as hideous as Bea Arthur's! :lucydisgust:

True, Bea's clothes were worse than Betty's, i guess because she was so tall and BIG, they had her in these hand me downs from close by MEN'S wear shops, LOL! My mom used to like her clothes on Maude though. And neither was that well dressed when you saw them out and about around town either, Bea with her open flat sandals showing off her humongous ugly feet and i remember Betty's dress when she got that award from SAG, not that great. Then again, it could be that Betty, like Lucy, liked to spend her money on more important things than evening gowns.

I remember at the time hating the fact that they always had Betty in little old lady FLOWERED dresses, those were the worst on her, made her look ancient. But come to think of it, you're right, when they wore evening gowns they sometimes were over the top.

Right but it's not like they always have to BUY their evening wear, it's often "donated" (for publicity), especially if it's for an award show appearance or the like. :)

And the first two shots are from Sordid Lives which the devestatingly beautiful lady did so much later in her life and portrayed someone much older, LOL!

Funny, I always loved her too but never thought of her as a "devestatingly (sic) beautiful lady"! :lucyhorror:

Yeah, and in SL she was probably playing (finally) her REAL age! :marionstrong:

Funny, I always loved her too but never thought of her as a "devestatingly (sic) beautiful lady"! :lucyhorror:

Yeah, and in SL she was probably playing (finally) her REAL age! :marionstrong:

I was only talking about her the way SHE referred to HERSELF on Golden Girls. She PORTRAYED a sexy slut on the show but was NEVER a gorgeous hunk of woman, it was all about attitude. I thought it was funny that on Sordid Lives, she was now the age that she kept poking fun at her co stars on GG for being. LOL!

I was only talking about her the way SHE referred to HERSELF on Golden Girls. She PORTRAYED a sexy slut on the show but was NEVER a gorgeous hunk of woman, it was all about attitude. I thought it was funny that on Sordid Lives, she was now the age that she kept poking fun at her co stars on GG for being. LOL!

I know....sad she didn't really live to be a spunky old lady like Sophia! Well...at least we've still got Bets! :D

• 3 weeks later...

This is a wonderful honor. I am wondering, did Betty White ever work with Jack Benny? On his radio show or television?

TV Guide has announced NBC is planning an all-star TV Special tribute to mark Betty's 90th birthday! :lucywow::HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING:

Invitations are going out for NBC's 90th birthday celebration for beloved TV icon Betty White. The dinner-style event is expected to be filmed in Los Angeles before year's end and will air as a special sometime close to Betty's milestone on January 17, 2012.

Among the famous faces likely to offer on-camera tributes: stars from Betty's series, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Hot in Cleveland, as well as funny ladies from the NBC comedy lineup. Additionally, TV Land's Cleveland is planning an episode centered around the birthday of Betty's character, Elka Ostrovsky. The special is being executive produced by Brad Lachman, Steve Ridgeway and Jon Macks, whose credits include The Tonight Show, the Emmys and the Academy Awards.

NBC also has a reality series hosted by Betty, titled Off Their Rockers, which is awaiting an airdate. The series features senior citizens playing pranks on unsuspecting youngsters.

Retirement clearly is not a word in this active lady's vocabulary.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Betty-White-NBC-1039791.aspx

All hail St. Bets! I hope NBC remembers to invite Bill Dana for the occasion.