The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

St. Bets will be on NBC's NEw Year's Eve Special with Carson Daly this year.

So, why isn't anybody talking about Betty's 90th Birthday Party Special on NBC in January. Scheduled to appear are Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett, Ed Asner, Gavin MacLoed, Valerie Harper, Valerie Bertinelli, Wendi Malik and Jane Leeves, among others.

So, why isn't anybody talking about Betty's 90th Birthday Party Special on NBC in January. Scheduled to appear are Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett, Ed Asner, Gavin MacLoed, Valerie Harper, Valerie Bertinelli, Wendi Malik and Jane Leeves, among others.

http://www.lucylounge.com/index.php?/topic/1192-betty-whites-90th-birthday-a-tribute-to-americas-golden-girl/ :HALKING:

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Birthday, Ms. White:

Here is what Lucille Ball and 'company' were doing on YOUR DAY! May it be one of your most pleasant ever! ENJOY!!!! Sincerely and respectfully, Joyce Kellogg

January 17

Edith Leslie, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) co-star, The Blue Veil, 1951; co-star, Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, an episodes of which, “Pandora”, is used as a 'pilot' episode, never becoming the series, Pandora and Friends,1961; as well as guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp “The Shooting Starts”, 1961; is born this date in 1905.

Irving Brecher, Comedy Scriptwriter, Lucille Ball early film-career, DuBarry Was A Lady, and Best Foot Forward, 1943, as well as with Lucille and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Ziegfeld Follies, 1946, is born this date in 1914.

Betty White, comedienne/actress, of The Golden Girls', Hot in Cleveland, etc., fame/widow of Allen Ludden, of Password fame, one of Lucille Ball’s favorite games; Lucille's friend; guest, Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 1963; co-star, Lucie Arnaz and Lucille, as ringmaster, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; with Lucille, NBC’s Happy Birthday, Bob, Hope’s 85th birthday and his 50th Anniversary with NBC, 1988; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope's Love Affair with Lucy, 1989, with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; hostess, Funny Women of Television, Lucille, via archival footage, 1991; with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), archivally, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995, appears with Lucie Arnaz; and with Lucille, honored through archival footage; CBS at 75, 2003, appears with Lucille and Vance, archival footage, TV’s Greatest Sidekicks, 2004; appears with Lucie and Desi Arnaz, IV, The 5th Annual TV Land Awards, the first ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Award, presented by Carol Burnett, Lucille, via archival footage; guest appears on PBS' Pioneers of Television Documentary, archival footage of Lucille and Desi and (“I Love Lucy”), 2008, is born this date in 1922.

Sheree North, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars “Lend An Ear”, 1954; guest, The Untouchables “Search for a Dean Man”, as Claire Simmons, 1963; guest, The Greatest Show on Earth “This Train Don't Stop Till It Gets There”, as Gloria, 1964; as well as guest, Mannix, as Rose Anderson, “Comes Up Rose”, 1968, is born this date in 1932.

Lucille Ball appears, as Lillian Temple, a cynical actress in RKO Radio Pictures, Chatterbox, co-starring Phillips Holmes, Margaret Hamilton, and Anne Shirley, among others, is released ths date in 1936.

Jerry Fogel, guest star, Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-in-Law, as Jerry Buell, 56 episodes, 1967-1969; co-stars with Desi Arnaz, 4 episodes, “A Night to Forget”, 1967, “The Hombre Who Came to Dinner: Parts 1 and 2”, also co-starring Desi Arnaz IV, and “The Matador Makes a Movie”, also co-starring Desi Arnaz IV, 1968, as well as Lucille Ball's guest star, (“Here’s Lucy”) “The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon”, co-starring Lucie Arnaz, 1973, is born this date in 1936.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Universal Pictures', Six Lessons from Madame LaZonga, as Beheegan, co-starring Eddie Acuff, Shemp Howard, Eddie Quillan, Jimmy Wakely, among many others, released on this date in 1941.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: Lucille Ball Coming Here for Grandfather’s Rites: - “Funeral services for Fred Hunt, former local resident . . . died at home, January 9, in Beverly Hills, born, Jamestown, 1865, a chiropractor in California – Lucille and mother, DeDe, bury beloved grandfather, ‘Daddy’ in family plot. During her Jametown visit, Lucille stands in front of her Celoron early childhood home, and learned her beloved early teacher, Mrs. Appleby, had moved away; also visits friends in Jamestown,” published this date in 1944.

Motion Picture Center (MPC), a puzzle whose final piece came together when it was announced: . . . “the Arnazes, as individuals, assumed voting control of MPC for an undisclosed amount (actually $750,000), with Joe Justman continuing as President, and board members: the Arnazes; Martin Leeds; the Lutheran Aid Society, which ‘has renewed its mortgage on the property under a refinancing set-up’ - Desilu continues to rent space for its film properties,” this date in 1955.

Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo, The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios (“I Love Lucy”) “First Stop,” funny happenings on the drive to California, the crew's first venture outside the studio for location-filming footage; with guest cast member, Olin Howlin, as George Skinner, airing this date in 1955.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Announcement of Voting for the Queen, by popular vote, with announcement of prize list, and Homecoming Queen crowning at the Gala Dance for Lucy & Desi visit February 6 - State Armory,” published this date in 1956.

Post Journal - Jamestown, NY: “Send Photo to Post-Journal by Saturday – Girls – Here’s Chance to Become Queen for Lucille Ball Event – Thrilling Role Waits Lucky Local Girl - Homecoming Queen Wins Wardrobe Fit for Rank,” published this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America “The Prison Within”, co-starring, among others, Joi Lansing, Don Rickles, and Gloria Talbot; Don W. Sharpe, many-year associate of Desilu, Executive Producer, second of seven episodes produced by Desilu, airs this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, having purchased RKO Studios, late 1957, return to find a forelorn warehouse; on which Studio memories of January 1935, ‘Roberta’, set remain for Lucille; they put up a “Desilu Studios”, in huge black letters on the silver water tower still standing, and go to work refurbishing, ultimately forming the Desilu Playhouse, in 1958.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball – “We signed the final escrow papers purchasing RKO. As I signed away 6 million-plus dollars, my hand shook; but, realized money becomes an exchange of legal documents. I never saw much real cash, and I never really felt rich, either,” told this date in 1958.

Jim Carrey, appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, archival footages, Junket Whore, 1998; a well as with Lucille Ball, archivally, Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America, “Slip on a Banana Peel: The Knockabouts”, 2009, is born this date in 1962.

Variety announces: “ . . . Desilu and CBS are in negotiations for a new Lucy series for the 1962-63 season, the deal contingent on the delivery of an okay pilot, and the same Monday night berth given (“I Love Lucy”) in the past, this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Bags a Bargain”, but has to get a job to pay for it, with Lucy veterans, Elvia Allman, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Jonathan Hole, Barbara Morrison, and Amzie Strickland, among others, airing this date in 1966.

(“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy’s Replacement”, written by Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs, recurring theme of Lucy attempting to get fired and/or re-hired, has Lucy getting a job in a steno pool, after being replaced by a computer, co-starring Phil Vandervort and R. G. Brown, airing this date in 1972.

Barbara Britton, b. 9/26; of Mr. & Mrs. North fame; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1942; as well as guest, Desilu Productions', The Comedy Spot “Head of the Family”, as Laura Petrie, 1960, dies this date in 1980.

Desi Arnaz, IV, appears on stage, Miami's Coconut Grove Playhouse in I Love My Wife, on this date in 1986.

All That – an episode with a sketch called I Luv Lucy, with Amanda Bynes, as Lucy; Victor Cohn Lopez, as Ricky; Kenan Thompson, as Fred; and Lori Beth Denberg, as Ethel, premieres on this date in 1998.

Richard Crenna, b. 11/30; guest, My Favorite Husband, CBS' Radio, 1949, 1950; guest, (“I Love Lucy”), 1952; guest, Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks, 1952-55; again in 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys, 159 episodes, 1957-1963; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 8 episodes, 1963-64; guest, Desilu Productions', Vacation Playhouse, 1965; directs, Desilu Productions', Vacation Playhouse, 1965; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, Red Sky at Morning, 1971; appears, co-Host, Part VI, CBS: On the Air, Lucille, co-Host, Part II,1978; guest, (“I Love Lucy”) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, and, archivally, guest, The Desilu Story, 2003, dies this date in 2003.

Virginia Mayo, b. 11/30; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, A Star is Born World Premiere, 1954; as well as with Lucille, The Bob Hope Show, 1966, dies this date in 2005.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “Girls between 17 and 25, single, are asked to enter Homecoming Queen Contest, sponsored by the Retail Merchants Association of the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce. From those entries, five will be selected by a panel of judges representing that Association, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and The Post-Journal, and announced in its January 25 issue, after which public balloting will start. The ‘chosen’ girl will reign in regal splendor – with a complete wardrobe befitting all her Queenly duties – as the City’s official hostess during the two-day visit of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz next month,” published this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: by Joni Blackman, Director, Fenton History Center: Area Attractions To Open Their Doors – “The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, in conjunction with other Jamestown organizations and The Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce, are hosting a ‘free admissions’ day Saturday, to encourage local residents to take advantage of area attractions,” published this date in 2007.

The Latest from Everything Lucy website – Museum Opens Doors For Free Weekend – “The third annual ‘Doors Open Jamestown’, a free day at local museums and attractions, happens Saturday, January 19th. The Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting the event, along with the Fenton History Center, Jamestown Audubon Society and Nature Center, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, Robert H. Jackson Center, Roger Tory Peterson Institute, Reg Lenna Civic Center, and Chautauqua Sports,” posted this date in 2008.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: – 1500 Misc. Help Wanted Classified Section – “First Day – Executive Director – The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, Inc., of Jamestown NY, has an immediate opening for an Executive Director to lead this Center in its mission to preserve and celebrate the legacy of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and enrich the world through the healing powers of love and laughter,” published this date in 2009.

Desi Arnaz, IV, appears, Sundance Film Festival, Dimension Films', Hell Ride, uncredited performer: “She's So Far Out, She's In”, and starring, David Carradine, Dennis Hopper, and Michael Madsen, among others, released this date in 2009.

Happy birthday, Betty! :HALKING:

Betty's getting a wax figure at Madame Tussaud's. Great quote from her. ;)

Screen legend Betty White, best known for her roles in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Golden Girls and Hot In Cleveland, will be honored with a new wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hollywood. The actress, who turns 90 years-old today, will have her figure unveiled at the legendary wax attraction later this year.

Throughout her over 70 years in the film industry, she has more than 100 television credits and over 20 film credits. Betty White began her career in Hollywood in 1939 and rose to national fame with her series, Life with Elizabeth, in the 1950s. She is the only woman to ever win the Primetime Emmy award in all performing comedic categories, having won in the Outstanding Leading Actress, Outstanding Supporting Actress and Outstanding Guest Actress Emmys two times each. In May 2010, she became the oldest person to guest-host Saturday Night Live after fans launched an online campaign to get her on the show. The episode was one of the highest-watched in Saturday Night Live's recent history.

"Betty White is truly America's sweetheart," said Colin Thomas, General Manager of Madame Tussauds Hollywood. "We are thrilled to have someone with such a long and prestigious Hollywood career join our ranks."

"I want to thank Madame Tussauds Hollywood for taking their sweet time in making my wax figure," said White. "Would it have killed them to do this 50 years ago before gravity took over?," she quipped. "Seriously though, it will be an honor to stand among the greats like George Burns and Lucille Ball."

White's figure will appear with figures of such Hollywood icons as Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, as well as Hollywood's latest superstars including Lady Gaga, Jennifer Aniston and Will Smith.

My link

Happy birthday, Betty! :HALKING:

Betty's getting a wax figure at Madame Tussaud's. Great quote from her. ;)

My link

Superstars Anniston and Smith huh? I see they've sorta diminished the real meaning of superstar then, but at least Betty really is. AND, unlike the other two, she's still down to earth and not full of herself like they are.

Here's the column I wrote on Betty's birthday. I initially I just wanted to make a brief mention of it, but things didn't turn out that way. LOL

http://www.theauroran.com/UserFiles/File/pdf/Auroran/2012/V12N12/V12N12P04_large.jpg

Wow, we have our own little Hedda Hooper right here at The Lounge! Congrats, great article and Joyce won't have to ask you the date and title for this one.

Here's the column I wrote on Betty's birthday. I initially I just wanted to make a brief mention of it, but things didn't turn out that way. LOL

http://www.theauroran.com/UserFiles/File/pdf/Auroran/2012/V12N12/V12N12P04_large.jpg

Brock:

When you get a minute, please copy this somehow, and re-print; when I click on the site, it shows, in large print, your picture, at the cover story; then, quickly goes to page 2, which is in print SO SMALL, I couldn't even begin to read it. If there is no way to do that, how do I 'keep it on page one', which is readable? Thanks...JK

Brock:

When you get a minute, please copy this somehow, and re-print; when I click on the site, it shows, in large print, your picture, at the cover story; then, quickly goes to page 2, which is in print SO SMALL, I couldn't even begin to read it. If there is no way to do that, how do I 'keep it on page one', which is readable? Thanks...JK

I read it clearly by placing the web page up to 400% from the normal 100%.

Brock loved the article.

• 2 weeks later...