The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

I think we might soon need a separate thread for Betty's 90th Birthday Extravaganza. Thoughts? Here's another article on the television event of 2012:

No Facebook campaigns necessary, Betty White's milestone 90th birthday party will be televised. NBC is planning a special party for the legendary funny woman and invitations are in the mail.

The struggling peacock network is planning to film the special in Los Angeles to air in January, close to the comic icon's birthday on January 17th, 2012.

NBC has had it's share of scheduling woes lately (bring back "Community"!) but it looks like a Betty White birthday bash is a safe bet. Who doesn't like Betty White, birthdays and old people saying inappropriate things? People with no souls, that's who.

So who is awesome enough to score an invite to the dinner party of the century? According to TV Guide famous faces from White's past will be on hand to send up the 90-year-old comedienne. Stars from White's landmark series "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and her more current sitcom "Hot In Cleveland" will be on hand to celebrate.

Also showing up will be the very funny ladies of the NBC comedy lineup. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph and Betty White all in one room? Be still my funny-lady-loving heart!

That's not all for White's birthday extravaganza though. In a little bit of life imitating art, TV Land is also planning a special episode of it's hit sitcom "Hot in Cleveland" centering on the 90th birthday of White's character Elka Ostrovsky. I wonder if Elka's party will be a televised dinner party filled with famous people too?

White is, of course, much beloved by basically everyone. That's what happens when you're a comic icon for much of television's history. The outpouring of love from former co-stars will make it even sadder that none of her "Golden Girls" stars are alive to toast her though.

White isn't just sitting on her laurels starring in sitcoms, lighting up viral internet campaigns and being funny on "Saturday Night Live". She's also hosting a reality show for NBC called "Off Their Rockers" awaiting an airdate that features funny senior citizens pulling pranks. Maybe the peacock is planning to premiere the series as a birthday present?

SOURCE: http://www.yidio.com/show/hot-in-cleveland/news/betty-white-turning-90-and-youre-invited-4443

Has anybody bought any of the cheapie public domain Betty White dvd sets of LIFE WITH ELIZABETH and A DATE WITH THE ANGELS that have been coming out left and right for the past year and threaten to overtake the p.d. sets of THE LUCY SHOW in number? There's one or two that seems an interesting collection with rare footage of Betty on variety and talk shows as well but it's hard to know what's on these thins as the cases - and even Amazon reviews - are rather vague.

I bought a bare bones set of Date with the Angels last year -- no extras of any sort -- but some of the episodes are hilarious! My favourite one might be the one where Gus' old girlfriend Diane (Cara Williams) comes over for dinner.

CBS Sunday Morning had a behind-the-scenes feature on Hot In Cleveland this morning, focusing on their audience warm up guy. The segment featured new interviews with Betty and the Cleveland gals. People should still be able to catch it on the west coast feeds!

Ed Asner will appear in an upcoming episode of Hot In Cleveland!!

From Entertainment Weekly:

Mary Tyler Moore fans, here’s a reason to get excited: Lou Grant and Sue Ann Nivens are reuniting!

EW has exclusively learned that Mary Tyler Moore co-stars Betty White and Ed Asner will appear in an episode of TV Land’s Hot in Cleveland that’s slated to air in the sitcom’s batch of new episodes next summer. The half-hour will shoot in February. Cleveland‘s third season recently premiered, on Nov. 30.

There are currently no details about what kind of role Asner will play on the show, but you can probably expect a wink or two to the pair’s time on Mary Tyler Moore. These kind of old-sitcom reunions are not unusual on Cleveland: White appeared with Mary Tyler Moore in the series’ second-season premiere back in January.

The show’s other principal cast have also seen reunions with their old sitcom cohorts: Valerie Bertinelli with One Day at a Time co-star Bonnie Franklin and Jane Leeves with Frasier co-star John Mahoney (who’s also returning this season). Wendie Malick will share the screen with her Just Shoot Me! co-star Laura San Giacomo in the series’ upcoming Dec. 14 episode.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/12/ed-asner-hot-in-cleveland/ :HALKING:

I bought a bare bones set of Date with the Angels last year -- no extras of any sort -- but some of the episodes are hilarious! My favourite one might be the one where Gus' old girlfriend Diane (Cara Williams) comes over for dinner.

Walmart currently has the Mill Creek 40-episode set from Betty's two 50's sitcoms (with a picture of her from the MTM years on the cover) for $5 - I am toying with buying it even though it will probably sit on my shelf for years before I watch it (I have some of the 50's Betty shows in a couple of dollar dvds but haven't even watched all of those yet after almost a decade, one of the sitcoms is pretty good but the other one is rather bad and at ont point Betty literally makes faces to the camera to get laughs. Glad she moved up to much better writers in later decades.)