Lucy A to Z -- C!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cantor, Eddie (Roman Scandals)

Eddie bears repeating, so important to Lucille's life:

Eddie Cantor b. 1/31/1892 d. 10/10/64

January 31

Eddie Cantor, Lucille Ball mentor and friend - while a Goldwyn Girl - he was her first-film co-star, United Artists’ , Roman Scandals, 1933, and Kid Millions, 1934, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Strike Me Pink, 1936; writer, Ziegfeld Follies, 1945, in which Lucille also co-stars with Frawley; as well as appears with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; is born this date in 1892.

Joey: You said, regarding Cam McCullough, "Hmm, going by the credits, I thought he worked all La Ball's series -- including LWL (at least the first one) yet you don't list them here, any particular reason?"

I probably overlooked something in my research; let me go back, and I'll check again. Thanks for calling this to my attention, though; you are THE BEST!

Merry Christmas EVE.....

P.S. While STILL 'logged on'; checked and IMDb, where some of my research is done, does NOT mention Cam in LWL; but The Lucy Book does; any suggestions where I can find more about him? I can't pull him up on wikipedia, either. Love, JK

Joey: You said, regarding Cam McCullough, "Hmm, going by the credits, I thought he worked all La Ball's series -- including LWL (at least the first one) yet you don't list them here, any particular reason?"

I probably overlooked something in my research; let me go back, and I'll check again. Thanks for calling this to my attention, though; you are THE BEST!

Merry Christmas EVE.....

P.S. While STILL 'logged on'; checked and IMDb, where some of my research is done, does NOT mention Cam in LWL; but The Lucy Book does; any suggestions where I can find more about him? I can't pull him up on wikipedia, either. Love, JK

Well frankly, depending on Wiki as a definitive resource may be a little "dangerous" as it's one of those sites where anyone can post anything on anybody and list it as "fact" when it fact it may not be!

One thought would be to take a quick "zip" through the various DVDs (assuming you have them) and FF through the credits at the end -- I'd almost swear he was listed for most if not all during her long reign.

Can't do that (well, legitimately ;)) for LWL but I can tell you anecdotely having been present for the first filming that he was indeed the sound man as he was so deaf at that point, they literally -- herself that is! -- had to yell at him loudly enough for him to hear to let him know they were ready to roll! marionstrong.gif

Well frankly, depending on Wiki as a definitive resource may be a little "dangerous" as it's one of those sites where anyone can post anything on anybody and list it as "fact" when it fact it may not be!

One thought would be to take a quick "zip" through the various DVDs (assuming you have them) and FF through the credits at the end -- I'd almost swear he was listed for most if not all during her long reign.

Can't do that (well, legitimately ;)) for LWL but I can tell you anecdotely having been present for the first filming that he was indeed the sound man as he was so deaf at that point, they literally -- herself that is! -- had to yell at him loudly enough for him to hear to let him know they were ready to roll! marionstrong.gif

IMDb and the internet I found 'late' in my research; some of my entries were from various books written about Lucille, etc., and this Lounge, of course, has been invaluable. Also, internet sites have been informative; so, when I find something to add, I might be adding to something I had entered YEARS ago; it's fun and addictive. I do thank you for your assistance, and pray you will keep assisting.

Just for my own information, why don't you tell all of us who do not know, how involved, and in what capacity(ies) you were involved in Lucille-related 'thin's'....Thanks again...

Loving you, JK

Kathryn Card b. 10/4/1892 d. 3/1/64

Kathryn Card, veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), Minnie Finch, “Fan Magazine Interview” and Lucille Ball's TV mother, Mrs. McGillicuddy, “California, Here We Come”, “Ethel's Home Town”, “The Hedda Hopper Story”, “Don Juan is Shelved”, “Hollywood Anniversary”, “The Great Train Robbery”; and “In Palm Springs” 1955; “Lucy Gets Homesick” and “Bon Voyage”, 1956; Desilu Studios-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, “A Trip to Wisconsin”, 1955; Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America “Bed of Roses”, 1956; and Desilu Productions', Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer, The Texan “The Troubled Town” 1958, “The Marshal of Yellow Jacket” 1959, and U.S. Marshal “Maryjo is Missing”, 1959; The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show “The Ricardos Go To Japan”, 1959; is born this date in 1892.

Charlie Chaplin b. 4/16/1889 d. 12/25/77

Charlie Chaplin, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, Monsieur Verdoux, produced and music by Charles Chaplin; 1947; Lucille Ball mentor, to whom she pays homage on The Lucy Show, Lucille, as the ‘tramp’, and Vivian Vance, the flapper, “Chris’ New Year’s Eve Party”, 1962; with Lucille, via archival footage: Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964; and Legends of Comedy, 1992; as well as, each via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, is born this date in 1889.

Ellen Corby b. 6/3/11 d. 04/14/99

Ellen Corby, played Grandma on The Waltons, 9 years; Lucille Ball early film career co-star, Lover, Come Back, and The Dark Corner, 1946; and supporting cast member, Miss Hannah, (“I Love Lucy”)”Lucy Meets Orson Welles”, 1956; as well as appears CBS’ On the Air: A Celebration of 50 Years, on which Lucille co-hosts, Part II, 1978, is born this date in 1911.

Archived