Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

No, this is the movie where she fell getting on the boat, tore open the gash in her leg and knocked herself unconsious.  They had to take a few weeks off from filming.  Seems that now we know where that gash might have been.  There is a photo I can't locate right now that shows her left ankle wrapped.  Lots of war wounds with this movie.

Found these Facts of Life stories I never heard.

The Facts of Life set was not lacking in creative tension. Hope and Frank fought fiercely over Hope's performance. Frank, who was directing, wanted it to be a more serious and three-dimensional character, and not the usual shtick that Hope was famous for (as in his Road movies). In the end, Frank shot two versions of many scenes, one his way and one Hope's gag-filled way. Frank used mostly his versions in the final edit.

Hope felt that The Facts of Life was one of four pictures in his career for which he really did deserve a nomination. The others were Monsieur Beaucaire (1946), The Seven Little Foys (1955) and Beau James (1957). Even though the latter two titles contain some of Hope's most dramatic roles, overall Hope rarely took on straight dramas. In a 1961 interview, Lucille Ball said of her co-star, "Bob just didn't believe in his abilities as a dramatic actor. That was unfortunate because in my humble opinion he could have been a really fine one if he'd believed in himself. He should have branched out, given himself a chance."

Hope felt that The Facts of Life was one of four pictures in his career for which he really did deserve a nomination. The others were Monsieur Beaucaire (1946), The Seven Little Foys (1955) and Beau James (1957). Even though the latter two titles contain some of Hope's most dramatic roles, overall Hope rarely took on straight dramas. In a 1961 interview, Lucille Ball said of her co-star, "Bob just didn't believe in his abilities as a dramatic actor. That was unfortunate because in my humble opinion he could have been a really fine one if he'd believed in himself. He should have branched out, given himself a chance."                                                                         Pot calling the kettle black huh?

No, this is the movie where she fell getting on the boat, tore open the gash in her leg and knocked herself unconsious.  They had to take a few weeks off from filming.  Seems that now we know where that gash might have been.  There is a photo I can't locate right now that shows her left ankle wrapped.  Lots of war wounds with this movie.

Oh I KNEW the boat story, I just thought if it wasn't in the script, shouldn't they have done a clear bandage, unseen by moviegoers?

The Facts of Life set was not lacking in creative tension. Hope and Frank fought fiercely over Hope's performance. Frank, who was directing, wanted it to be a more serious and three-dimensional character, and not the usual shtick that Hope was famous for (as in his Road movies). In the end, Frank shot two versions of many scenes, one his way and one Hope's gag-filled way. Frank used mostly his versions in the final edit.

Hope felt that The Facts of Life was one of four pictures in his career for which he really did deserve a nomination. The others were Monsieur Beaucaire (1946), The Seven Little Foys (1955) and Beau James (1957). Even though the latter two titles contain some of Hope's most dramatic roles, overall Hope rarely took on straight dramas. In a 1961 interview, Lucille Ball said of her co-star, "Bob just didn't believe in his abilities as a dramatic actor. That was unfortunate because in my humble opinion he could have been a really fine one if he'd believed in himself. He should have branched out, given himself a chance."

Interesting! If Bob felt he deserved a nomination for this, I wonder why he kept such a tight lid on releasing the film for broadcast and home video until the last few years of his life.

I've recently studied her acting on this and it is a great example of the 'believe" factor Lucy often talked about.  She believed that she was up that high and every bit of her acting conveys it.  We then as the audience completely believe it.

She sure was right about that because we all felt it when she came close to falling and if she had, a hang nail maybe, that's it.