Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

Let's just direct all future queries directly to "Harry"! ;)

BTW does anyone else find it amusing that "Florabelle" is sporting a full manicure replete with what appears to be pink nail polish???! Such a stylish bag lady!!! :lucywow:

LOL Right! In some scenes she does have her famous lip line added, SLIGHTLY. Im so surprised she let her ENTIRE IMAGE go for the sake of that role, and for it not to be a cause-celebre, she takes on A LOT for the part, even illness. In hind sight, Im SO HAPPY it was well received. I sometimes think its over looked, maybe because of her appearance in it?, but it should be re-released on DVD with extras including some facts, some tie bits, like the interviews she did for the publicity- a photo gallery of some of her pics through out filming- talking to cast members etc.

LOL Right! In some scenes she does have her famous lip line added, SLIGHTLY. Im so surprised she let her ENTIRE IMAGE go for the sake of that role, and for it not to be a cause-celebre, she takes on A LOT for the part, even illness. In hind sight, Im SO HAPPY it was well received. I sometimes think its over looked, maybe because of her appearance in it?, but it should be re-released on DVD with extras including some facts, some tie bits, like the interviews she did for the publicity- a photo gallery of some of her pics through out filming- talking to cast members etc.

I always thought she was robbed of an Emmy nomination!!!  :HALKING:

oh 'What Now Cat' is probably one of her better performances in her entire later career. Its one of the best!!

To be brutally honest though... I wish this had come along when Lucy was a bit younger.

Lucy LOOKS nice, but she doesn't sound as good as she looks. Her speech is a slowed by her age, but still comes off nicely- but her voice is shot, and sounds tired. Now dont get me wrong, she does great! but Id love to see her do this some time around Critics Choice.

Im not sure if its the  her over pronunciation  and that over the top delivery that eclipses the true emotion and believability she's trying to portray. She makes a great effort, but Its very mechanical- she shouts her lines, and breaths heavily lol

I mean, she shows her anger and sadness which is captivating , since we never see her characters truly angry- but it feels like a little automated. Had it have been a little earlier, she would have had the ability to be a little more feminine and not as warped over time by her own style or acting (for a studio audience)

She did an incredible job though. Its funny because- seeing the first act, you understand that her feminine appeal is kinda fading, and it makes it understandable that her husband would want to look for a younger woman- but when she becomes youthful and vibrant- she looks and sounds the same. Had it been earlier, she could have really shed off years- but here, she looks older and older ,but I think an emmy nod would have been nice, but Stone Pillow- SHE SHOULD HAVE WON EVERYTHING for that role. 

• 2 weeks later...

oh 'What Now Cat' is probably one of her better performances in her entire later career. Its one of the best!!

To be brutally honest though... I wish this had come along when Lucy was a bit younger.

Lucy LOOKS nice, but she doesn't sound as good as she looks. Her speech is a slowed by her age, but still comes off nicely- but her voice is shot, and sounds tired. Now dont get me wrong, she does great! but Id love to see her do this some time around Critics Choice.

Im not sure if its the  her over pronunciation  and that over the top delivery that eclipses the true emotion and believability she's trying to portray. She makes a great effort, but Its very mechanical- she shouts her lines, and breaths heavily lol

I mean, she shows her anger and sadness which is captivating , since we never see her characters truly angry- but it feels like a little automated. Had it have been a little earlier, she would have had the ability to be a little more feminine and not as warped over time by her own style or acting (for a studio audience)

She did an incredible job though. Its funny because- seeing the first act, you understand that her feminine appeal is kinda fading, and it makes it understandable that her husband would want to look for a younger woman- but when she becomes youthful and vibrant- she looks and sounds the same. Had it been earlier, she could have really shed off years- but here, she looks older and older ,but I think an emmy nod would have been nice, but Stone Pillow- SHE SHOULD HAVE WON EVERYTHING for that role. 

I agree she should have been nominated for both these roles.  I love both projects.  Did any of Lucy's post Here's Lucy and Mame work even get nominated besides the song writing for the ones she sang "Leading Lady" in 1977 and "Comedy Ain't No Joke" in 1988.  At least Lucy must have gotten a kick out of those nominations.  I know she got boat loads of life awards later on till today but Lucy loved working and being recognized for the present not the past.

1557.jpeg

1818.jpg

15439.jpg

9966.jpg

Does anyone know the story of how Lucille 'FOUND' Snowmass, as a place she would want an alternate 'home'?  I'd love to hear that story.  I think I already mentioned that the desk man at our beach club in Daytona, was an employee of Snowmass, either waiter or bartender, or possibly desk man there; said she was just a lovely woman.  He would not agree to be interviewed by me for the chronology; and, sadly, has since passed, not yet 60 years of age, about 7 years ago.

My hunch is that she was looking for a place in Aspen as that was a hot place. Somehow or someone turned her on to Snowmass that was not that far from Aspen. From what I understand Snowmass was not a huge area and was not the hot area at the time. This afforded her the opportunity to buy in a place that was relatively not very expensive. I think over the years once she had the condos it became a much hotter place and the cost of property went up drastically. I found in a letter she talked about getting really great offers to sell the place but she wanted to hang on to the condos.

Is it the absence of a laugh track that is responsible "Gets Lucky"'s ho-hum reception?  Even among Lucy fans?

The overlong chase scene?  I contend that were it not for that one shot of Lucy out-running the thugs on a scooter, it would be a better sequence (since the scooter isn't moving much faster than they are).  And the thugs are much more menacing than they should be given their reasons for chasing Lucy (which I can't remember)

Though her last name is now "Collins" (my guess is that it's to avoid being under the umbrella of what Jess sued for), this is essential a "Here's Lucy Comedy Hour" because she's pure Carter.  Maybe the script and premise are not special-worthy but if this was a Here's Lucy episode, it would be in my top 5. 

It's the least ambitious but most satisfying (for me) of all her 70s specials because she's giving us a whole lotta classic Lucy bits, something I appreciate much more after seeing it upon its DVD release after so many years.  One of many that have improved with age like Viv's day-old cream puffs.

(And pre-VCR, I wonder what was being watched in the Morton household: this or "Black Dahlia" on NBC)

And that includes "Calls President"; the videotape cheap look of that one mars (for me) what should have been a classic reunion.  Lucy didn't look or sound good and videotape just accentuated that.

Lucy Gets Lucky

lv1.jpeg

There are parts of Lucky I like that make me want to keep grabbing it from my Lucy DVD stack and then there are the parts that need a fast forward. That chase scene is one of them. I’m also hit or miss on the cancelling the reservations scene. First I think it is impractical that they would not find a seat for one person and give those on a wait list the other 7 seats. Are people not allowed to go to shows alone? Second it just seems to go on for too long. It’s worth it to see how pretty Lucy looks in her outfit and I really like her hair.

I think the guys are chasing her over the Kino game but I forget what the ultimate conclusion to what that thing was. All the scenes with Dean are wonderful because they had such a wonderful rapport. I love them walking to the plane at the end. And one of my favorite meta scenes is Lucy checking her hair in her display in the hallway.

I heard when Lucy was on the talk shows to plug this special she was telling everyone to watch Black Dahlia, which I think is a pretty decent movie and Lucie did a good job in it.