Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

And I thought that was Onna White and all the time it was Wanda.  Again Shel, you and I are one on Lucy gets lucky.  I looked at it last night in the glass shelves and almost put it on as I LOVE it but everything looks so fake and no audience ruins it for me.  I think Lucy took too much time to place the mobster's bet, so he lost money because of her, that was the reason I think for the goons going after her.

Who was her double? How often did they use one?  I love these pics.  I agree.  Lucy Gets Lucky is fun with Lucy and Dean together but the whole chase scene seems old hat and the other comedy bits seem to indicate Lucy is getting older and it is too slow.  Still an interesting piece but I prefer Lucy Meets the President special and even Life With Lucy's Mother of the Bride more than this. 

• Like 1

Agree with both of you, when you think the Lucy walking to the plane with Dino is the best part of a special, you know you're in trouble, LOL!  Is that the one where she spies a huge pic of herself at the MGM Grand, that was fun too!  My fave though is the one where she dances with Jackie Gleason at the end of the other special.

And why, pray tell, is that?  Heard she wasn't doing too well at the end, hope Brisson wasn't her manager, like Doris' hubby, Sinatra would supply trips and clothes for her sometimes.

Brisson was in charge of Roz's career and was not well liked in the industry. He was able to get Roz prestigious roles in major movies in an era when pretty much all her contemporaries were doing horror films or not working. It wasn't like Marty Melcher signing Doris up for terrible films just for the money. 

This one is my favorite hour episode- and I think its so clever and so brilliant in every aspect, that its probably the best of the shows IMO. 

I also see how Lucy and Desi could use this time, in between their busy schedules, to be affectionate and congenial to each other and their performances. 

Its almost as if the sound stage provided a curtain of make believe, where-when they walked onto that soundstage, and the word action was called- all was ok within the skin of The Ricardos- They could argue and not speak off of the set, but they always allowed Lucy and Ricky to serve a purpose for them, to love each other during a time they found it so hard to do so. 

For instance, the intensity and the charm that they both give in the "That means I love you" number is delicious! - they exude this attraction and affection for each other,

EVEN IN MAKE BELIEVE, it comes across- and its so magical to see, and so romantic.

Look at how they smile at each other when its done-ugh- pure satisfaction of the others showmanship and spirited talent. Its my favorite moment of the episode- that and the next scene- 

the ever so intimate, cute and small hotel "Aint a'more grand!?" scene where they are serenaded

I totally agree with your assessment on this episode. I think how that whole club scene is played is why it’s my favorite of the hour longs. Even the scene in the carriage before it is great. The indifference Lucy shows gradually breaks at the club.

That little wink she gives him is repeated again on the Desilu Revue Christmas episode. Even though everyone goes by their real names in this special they are all playing their characters. At the very end when the acting troop is singing that song there are cutaways to Lucy, Desi and Hedda Hopper watching them. Hedda is standing in between L/D. At one point Lucy looks over to Desi and gives him that same scrunchy face wink and right away he blows a kiss at her. Given that this special was shot around Oct/Nov of 1959 and the marriage was pretty much over at that point it makes that gesture all the more meaningful. Knowing that this workshop and special was Lucy’s pet project and that it had a lot of technical issues getting made (I think it was 6 hours long at one point) and Desi did come in to help her out (although there apparently were fights going on about that) that was not a gesture that was character driven and I don’t think it was scripted either. The way they were standing with Hedda in between they very much could have not acknowledged each other and it would not have been weird. But they did and the gestures were a lovely nonverbal way of saying, “Thank you baby”, “Your welcome sweetheart” to each other. Professionally they still cared and even deep down they cared.

Lucy herself said in the later years that playing the Ricardo’s was when she could escape into the perfect marriage.