Lucy in London, specifically!

So, what do you people think of the special? I didn't like it as much BACK THEN as i do NOW. Now i just think it's perfect, so different from anything else she ever did. The guest stars were great, the plot divine, the costumes fantastic, i just loved every minute of it. What did you guys think?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting the Dave Clark Five to guest was a major accomplishment as they were HUGE at that time. And to see a great star like Wilfrid Hide White on with Lucy too. Anthoney Newly was a aquired taste for sure, and not loved by everybody as comedians had a field day making fun of his singing but the songs he did on the show were just superb.

Well, seeing as it was the very first time I'd ever seen it, I was pretty psyched. I loved all the costumes too, I think that was my favorite part of the whole thang. She just looked beautimous. Some of the musical numbers were kinda hokey (the Dave Clark 5 one), but all in all I give it 4.5 stars out of 5. :peachonthebeach:

Well, seeing as it was the very first time I'd ever seen it, I was pretty psyched. I loved all the costumes too, I think that was my favorite part of the whole thang. She just looked beautimous. Some of the musical numbers were kinda hokey (the Dave Clark 5 one), but all in all I give it 4.5 stars out of 5. :peachonthebeach:

Yes, but the musical numbers were reflective of THAT time period and that was a loooooooooooooong time ago. Everybody was trying to be the NEW Beatles back then. But the fashions Lucy displayed in that song were terrific, never expected that either. Mod Londontown was famous world over for that wacky newish modern garb.

Unless they put "Lucy Moves to NBC" on Season 6. But that probably won't happen...

MPI is set to release Lucy Moves to NBC on its own, so it won't come out in Season Six, much less on a CBS DVD! lol While not Season Six specific, I'd love for them to include restored versions of Lady in Limbo or K.O. Kitty... and I would KILL(!) for The Good Years! :HALKING:

Yeah I didn't figure CBS would release "NBC" stuff lol. Never heard of Lady in Limbo or KO Kitty. :lucyhorror: I'd love to see "The Good Years" too.

All three are excellent choices with K O Kitty being my favorite and i've NEVER heard anything positive said about The Good Years except that she looks absolutely sensational in it.

All three are excellent choices with K O Kitty being my favorite and i've NEVER heard anything positive said about The Good Years except that she looks absolutely sensational in it.

I wouldn't say she looks absolutely sensational in it. Lucy does look good, but she looks a bit tired and overly made up. She looks healthier than she did during her Wildcat stint, but not as good as she did on The Lucy Show or Critic's Choice some months later. Although the special itself is rather bizarre, The Good Years does contain some of Lucy's best musical work ever.

Getting the Dave Clark Five to guest was a major accomplishment as they were HUGE at that time. And to see a great star like Wilfrid Hide White on with Lucy too. Anthoney Newly was a aquired taste for sure, and not loved by everybody as comedians had a field day making fun of his singing but the songs he did on the show were just superb.

Of note too is that he not only wrote but performed the theme song, the now infamous (for other reasons, of course) Phil Spector -- and he volunteered to do it, according to director Steve Binder if I recall correctly from the Paley panel the other night. Cool, huh?

I think this is the extra to end all extras and will be extremely tough to top for season six.

How about (wouldn't top it but would be VERY nice to see)

Carol Burnett's 1960s special with Lucy and Zero Mostel

Any-all of Lucy's appearances on The Carol Burnett Show

I would imagine Carol would be very receptive to having some of her shows as a bonus feature on a Lucy set.

And while it was many years later how about a restored Allstar Party For Lucille Ball from 1984??

First time for me to see it also. I really liked it. Very Nostalgic!! Yes it was very different from anything Lucy (as Lucy) ever did, but that made it even more interesting. I like anytime Lucy was performing on location, let alone that it was London!! I thing my favorite part was Lucy and Anthonys' number with The Dave Clark 5.

I would imagine Carol would be very receptive to having some of her shows as a bonus feature on a Lucy set.

And while it was many years later how about a restored Allstar Party For Lucille Ball from 1984??

Yeah, I forgot about Carol's show. I'd love to see all of Lucy's appearances on her show. :marionstrong:

I saw Lucy in London about 12 years ago when I got a VHS copy (that had been copied who knows how many times). Loved it and really loved the mod section. Seeing this after many years and in full gorgeous restored color makes me love it all over again. The documentary was great and it was nice to see how they used that production bus to do the show or why stills were used in the beginning. The only part I fast forward through is the Newley song book at the end. But when it picks back up again with the spotlight number I have now come to totally love this close. In my bad VHS copy you could never see how emotional or great Lucy looked in this number. I loved that it's her professor outfit she used for the number. Oh and in the doc they should one clip on Lucy's home movies in London. Wow, could I see more of these please. She looked great.

The on location stills are beautiful and I like the one of Lucy and Gary running down that path at Great Fosters. She looked to be having so much fun.

I wouldn't say she looks absolutely sensational in it. Lucy does look good, but she looks a bit tired and overly made up. She looks healthier than she did during her Wildcat stint, but not as good as she did on The Lucy Show or Critic's Choice some months later. Although the special itself is rather bizarre, The Good Years does contain some of Lucy's best musical work ever.

I have no recollection of seeing that special at all, it just was not memorable in any way but i do remember that the stills i saw from it made her look sensational, of course those could have been touched up.

Oh yes, Carol Plus Two was one of the best specials Lucy ever did and that along with All Star Party would be sensational.

I saw Lucy in London about 12 years ago when I got a VHS copy (that had been copied who knows how many times). Loved it and really loved the mod section. Seeing this after many years and in full gorgeous restored color makes me love it all over again. The documentary was great and it was nice to see how they used that production bus to do the show or why stills were used in the beginning. The only part I fast forward through is the Newley song book at the end. But when it picks back up again with the spotlight number I have now come to totally love this close. In my bad VHS copy you could never see how emotional or great Lucy looked in this number. I loved that it's her professor outfit she used for the number. Oh and in the doc they should one clip on Lucy's home movies in London. Wow, could I see more of these please. She looked great.

The on location stills are beautiful and I like the one of Lucy and Gary running down that path at Great Fosters. She looked to be having so much fun.

I agree of course, can't wait to throw out all my COPIES of this special that were so horrible to look at, and enjoy every minute of this perfect restored special, a one of a kind Lucy show for sure!

Re: Lucy's best musical work on television and "The Good Years". So true. Particularly impressive is her (practically) acapella rendition of the plight of the sewing girls. The special was not meant only as pure entertainment, more of a historic look back on those 'good' years: 1900 to 1914, containing archival footage and re-enactments of notable events. Lucy's segments were more in the lighthearted nostalgia vein. Many breakthrough developments, a time of relative prosperity before the onset of WW 1. It's not a historic period we're that familiar with today. I'm surprised it wasn't used in schools as a teaching aid. It's really quite interesting. I don't know why it gets knocked. In 1962 those 'good years' were in the memory of a lot of people. Today's equivalent would be the 50's!

Re: Lucy's best musical work on television and "The Good Years". So true. Particularly impressive is her (practically) acapella rendition of the plight of the sewing girls. The special was not meant only as pure entertainment, more of a historic look back on those 'good' years: 1900 to 1914, containing archival footage and re-enactments of notable events. Lucy's segments were more in the lighthearted nostalgia vein. Many breakthrough developments, a time of relative prosperity before the onset of WW 1. It's not a historic period we're that familiar with today. I'm surprised it wasn't used in schools as a teaching aid. It's really quite interesting. I don't know why it gets knocked. In 1962 those 'good years' were in the memory of a lot of people. Today's equivalent would be the 50's!

You know very well that the public tuned in to get laughs from Lucy, if that was not always the case, Lucy paid the price. It happened to her here and in Wildcat and in so many specials all the way to Stone Pillow. I especially love the way she looks IN COSTUME, makes me think of what she would have looked like in that special that never got made, Lillian Russell to Jackie Gleason's Diamond Jim Brady. Which come to think of it might be from a very similar period.

I just finished watching the Lucy In London documentary for the fifth time and this whole release is just perfection.

If I could provide just one suggestion -- if they make any changes to the documentary in advance of the inevitable BluRay release, it would be fantastic if Tom and crew could insert a couple of brief interview snippits with Frank Thornton, who played the customs officer. He is still a very active actor even at the age of 90 and it would be fantastic to have his memories down for posterity.

Archived