The Barbara Walters Interview (FULL)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this interview is the one everyone feels so awkward towards Lucy about because of the way Lucy talked about Desi in one preticular way. By calling him a loser, but people need to realize the way she meant it. She said it in a way Desi carried/believed in himself. If he won at something, he had to lose it all. Like she said "He still claims he is the same way." It drives me crazy that people take this interview and make it seem Lucy is bitter towards Desi. When it isn't that at all, she tried to build him up so much during this interview. Talking about how he built everything up brilliantly, while she was just doing the acting and saying how sweet and generous he was. The best part of this whole interview was Lucy saying she STILL didn't understand how the marriage fell apart, then Gary saying "It certainly has passed." :lucyhorror:

Honey, it never did. :lucythrill: (Gary's 'witty' remarks are too annoying in this by the way) :angry:

This interview just shows how heartbroken she was and remained. How clueless she always will be how it fell apart when they did have everything.

Is it bad I almost always tear up when I hear Lucy's answer to Barbara's question about the Arnazes marriage was so different than the Ricardos?

"I used it when I was unhappy. It was always happy in our stories. It was always happy pretending... It helped." :(

Lucy and Desi's love just captures my heart. You don't see anything like that nowadays. Honestly they are the reason I believe in love and wish for such deep emotional love. :wub:

I like how Gary couldn't think of anything he didn't like about Lucy. I think he was scared of saying anything in front of her. :lucyhehe:

I've never seen that whole interview before and I love that it shows more of the house interior. And I agree about the Desi remarks, perhaps she shouldn't have used the word "loser" because that's what made everyone think she was dissing him.

I like how Gary couldn't think of anything he didn't like about Lucy. I think he was scared of saying anything in front of her. :lucyhehe:

I've never seen that whole interview before and I love that it shows more of the house interior. And I agree about the Desi remarks, perhaps she shouldn't have used the word "loser" because that's what made everyone think she was dissing him.

I think she realized that after she said it, that's why she went into splaining herself more.

That was a great watch! Lucy interviews never get old. She really opened up with Barbara...it's amazing how much she shares by how much she likes/respects the interviewer. I was just watching her interview with Dick Cavett and was struck how distant she was. This interview with Barbara is pretty great.

That was a great watch! Lucy interviews never get old. She really opened up with Barbara...it's amazing how much she shares by how much she likes/respects the interviewer. I was just watching her interview with Dick Cavett and was struck how distant she was. This interview with Barbara is pretty great.

Distant?? She sat with her back to him, which I thought was unbelieveably -- and uncharacteristically, rude! lucydisgust.JPG

I know this interview is the one everyone feels so awkward towards Lucy about because of the way Lucy talked about Desi in one preticular way. By calling him a loser, but people need to realize the way she meant it. She said it in a way Desi carried/believed in himself. If he won at something, he had to lose it all. Like she said "He still claims he is the same way." It drives me crazy that people take this interview and make it seem Lucy is bitter towards Desi. When it isn't that at all, she tried to build him up so much during this interview. Talking about how he built everything up brilliantly, while she was just doing the acting and saying how sweet and generous he was. The best part of this whole interview was Lucy saying she STILL didn't understand how the marriage fell apart, then Gary saying "It certainly has passed." :lucyhorror:

Honey, it never did. :lucythrill: (Gary's 'witty' remarks are too annoying in this by the way) :angry:

This interview just shows how heartbroken she was and remained. How clueless she always will be how it fell apart when they did have everything.

Is it bad I almost always tear up when I hear Lucy's answer to Barbara's question about the Arnazes marriage was so different than the Ricardos?

"I used it when I was unhappy. It was always happy in our stories. It was always happy pretending... It helped." :(

Lucy and Desi's love just captures my heart. You don't see anything like that nowadays. Honestly they are the reason I believe in love and wish for such deep emotional love. :wub:

I swear to God, i have to put my hand over HIS face whenever i watch that great interview, he looks like such a schlepp, why the hell was he on there anyway??? Saturday Night Live did a sketch about this interview with Gilda Radner DOING Lucy and some writer imitating the schlepp, just nodding and appearing lifeless, hey wait, come to think of it, he captured him brilliantly, LOL!

I have played back the part showing the hosue a million times and never tire of it.

D I S T A N T ? Where the heck do you get that? She was funny, playful, open, direct etc . . .

I swear to God, i have to put my hand over HIS face whenever i watch that great interview, he looks like such a schlepp, why the hell was he on there anyway??? Saturday Night Live did a sketch about this interview with Gilda Radner DOING Lucy and some writer imitating the schlepp, just nodding and appearing lifeless, hey wait, come to think of it, he captured him brilliantly, LOL!

Here, I pieced this together from the remains of the Old Lounge: http://www.lucylounge.com/index.php?/topic/1698-bill-murrays-celebrity-corner/

He drives me nutso. He reminds me of the Ricardo's leaky shower faucet in Breaking the Lease. An annoying prop that should be taught a lesson by Desi.

Woooooops... Did I just say that? :D

BTW. Hope no one gets offended by that. It's only for funsies.

Thank you!! I just cannot stand Gary, he's just so annoying!!

I think the interview is fantastic. Lucy looks better than she looked in Here's Lucy in my opinion! Love her hair! I'll just never get all this hate about Gary - yes, he might act like a bit of a doofus but it's so obvious how much they love each other.

Read the books that mention him, he comes off as so vain and arrogant, so full of himself. And so incredibly CHEAP too. I mean cancelling Lucy's nurse when everything he had came from Lucy in the first place. :lucydisgust::lucyblah:

Well, he was Jewish :lucythrill: (I'm allowed to say that because I am too) ;-)

I think the interview is fantastic. Lucy looks better than she looked in Here's Lucy in my opinion! Love her hair! I'll just never get all this hate about Gary - yes, he might act like a bit of a doofus but it's so obvious how much they love each other.

Have you read any of the books that mention him or heard quotes from the insiders about him? It's not pretty.

Have you read any of the books that mention him or heard quotes from the insiders about him? It's not pretty.

Honestly, no, I haven't, but how much truth is their in some of these books? At the end it's really just Chinese whispers. The only people who REALLY know the truth is Lucy and Gary. Know what I mean?

Read the books that mention him, he comes off as so vain and arrogant, so full of himself. And so incredibly CHEAP too. I mean cancelling Lucy's nurse when everything he had came from Lucy in the first place. :lucydisgust::lucyblah:

Oh I have read them!! It's so true, he's not somebody I would personally like to meet at all (If he were still alive). Yes, they were in love and happy together as a couple, but he has such an odd personality, he makes you feel... awkward. Desi was still the love of Lucy's life, but Desi could not work together with her so the marriage couldn't work. I think the things like saying he's a "loser" is her just trying to hide the pain maybe. At least that's my interpretation.

Honestly, no, I haven't, but how much truth is their in some of these books? At the end it's really just Chinese whispers. The only people who REALLY know the truth is Lucy and Gary. Know what I mean?

Carole Cook is a friend of Lucy's who disliked Gary immensely after he tried to push her and some other friends away after marrying Lucy. That's just one example. There are countless stories of other friends and co-workers who just could not see what the hell Lucy saw in Gary because he was so cheap, arrogant, and just plain goofy. All these people couldn't have just gotten together and decided to make up Gary-bashing stories, where there's smoke there's usually fire.

I'm sure Gary and Lucy loved each other in their own way. Gary loved her kids and treated them like his own and he brought happiness to Lucy after such a bad marriage to Desi. But the guy is just annoying to me. He's not all that handsome, he's goofy-looking, and he certainly was NOT funny doing stand-up (I will admit that his celeb impressions were very good, however). Not only that, but it was rumored that he cheated on Lucy whenever she was away (read Sharon Thober's book for a tidbit about a call girl), and was deathly afraid of her finding out. So was he a better husband to her than Desi in the end? Maybe a little. He was just better at hiding his indiscretions, methinks.

And that's just my 2 cents...

Carole Cook is a friend of Lucy's who disliked Gary immensely after he tried to push her and some other friends away after marrying Lucy. That's just one example. There are countless stories of other friends and co-workers who just could not see what the hell Lucy saw in Gary because he was so cheap, arrogant, and just plain goofy. All these people couldn't have just gotten together and decided to make up Gary-bashing stories, where there's smoke there's usually fire.

I'm sure Gary and Lucy loved each other in their own way. Gary loved her kids and treated them like his own and he brought happiness to Lucy after such a bad marriage to Desi. But the guy is just annoying to me. He's not all that handsome, he's goofy-looking, and he certainly was NOT funny doing stand-up (I will admit that his celeb impressions were very good, however). Not only that, but it was rumored that he cheated on Lucy whenever she was away (read Sharon Thober's book for a tidbit about a call girl), and was deathly afraid of her finding out. So was he a better husband to her than Desi in the end? Maybe a little. He was just better at hiding his indiscretions, methinks.

That's exactly how I feel. As Taylor basically said, there are many reliable facts that come from people who knew Lucy and Gary (i.e. Carole, co-workers). Plus I have also heard and read stories about him cheating when Lucy was away. Then, theres the fact that after Lucy died, Gary got remarried several years later when he was 70 or 71. If she was "love of your life" for nearly three decades and she dies, you decide the best thing to do is to remarry only fours years later. It sounds like a long time, but there had to have been a relationship that built up over those 4 years, or he could have been with this lady during his marriage with Lucy, idk maybe. There are so many sides to the story about Gary, but there are only a few people who know the honest truth and we might never know.

That's exactly how I feel. As Taylor basically said, there are many reliable facts that come from people who knew Lucy and Gary (i.e. Carole, co-workers). Plus I have also heard and read stories about him cheating when Lucy was away. Then, theres the fact that after Lucy died, Gary got remarried several years later when he was 70 or 71. If she was "love of your life" for nearly three decades and she dies, you decide the best thing to do is to remarry only fours years later. It sounds like a long time, but there had to have been a relationship that built up over those 4 years, or he could have been with this lady during his marriage with Lucy, idk maybe. There are so many sides to the story about Gary, but there are only a few people who know the honest truth and we might never know.

Not to mention the quote that Lee Tannen gave about Gary rearranging things in the house after Lucy died and spouting, "This is my house now, finally it's gonna look the way I want it to!" or something along those lines. Lee, who was Gary's cousin by marriage, despised him too and thought that was a very callous thing for him to say just a day or so after Lucy's death.

Distant?? She sat with her back to him, which I thought was unbelieveably -- and uncharacteristically, rude! lucydisgust.JPG

Yeah, I was putting it very lightly. "Distant" may be too soft a word. Your description is far more accurate.

D I S T A N T ? Where the heck do you get that? She was funny, playful, open, direct etc . . .

Hold your horses, bucko! Looks like JoeySoCal also noticed it...so it's not just me!

The Cavett interview does not sit well with me. It looked like Lucy was in a funk that day: she barely faces Dick, she literally shrugs off many of his questions/comments and appears generally disinterested to engage or elaborate on any of her comments. I'm not saying it was a HORRIBLE interview. But compared to other interviews I've seen, Lucy seems totally more reserved and cold here and at times as Joey said above: rude. It's not overly apparent but it's sprinkled throughout the interview.

It makes me wonder...did Lucy and Dick know each other very well by that point? Had they just met? It looks to me that Lucy simply didn't know Dick well enough and hadn't warmed up to him yet. Lucy comes off as a person to me that keeps her distance until she can really trust the person. The loyalty would then follow. Watching her with Carson or Merv...you get a totally different vibe.

^^^^^^THIS POST. Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth.

All I can say about Lucy and Desi is sometimes love isn't enough. Best quote to fit them. I believe Lucy had Gary because she filled her selfish need to have a great marriage and a husband that wouldn't hurt her, be a good hand holder, bow down to her, and support her every move.

As you can tell like I said before she opens up a lot about Desi here. Really still cares and doesn't understand how a marriage with such passionate love can fall apart.

Not to mention the quote that Lee Tannen gave about Gary rearranging things in the house after Lucy died and spouting, "This is my house now, finally it's gonna look the way I want it to!" or something along those lines. Lee, who was Gary's cousin by marriage, despised him too and thought that was a very callous thing for him to say just a day or so after Lucy's death.

Whatta dbag!

Archived