Lucy talks illness and Lucy character.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Let me tell you somethin... This is the FIRST time I ever saw this.. episode.. and I was laughing ALL the way throgh it... I thought this was very good.. much better than any Here's Lucy episode... (with a few exceptions)... why the heck was this show cancelled???!!!! This isn't bad.. really it was very cute an dang funny... too bad they pulled the plug...the wrong people had the "boxes" back then.. .they should have put neilson boxes in my house and people like me should have had neilson boxes.. then LUCILLE would have stayed on the air a bit longer.. MANY shows SUCKED at that time.. and this show would have gone on longer... SHAME on the powers that be to pull the plug too soooon on the QUEEN...!.... Well what's done is done.. but seriously.. this wasn't as bad as I have read.... I thought this was a very cute and fun romp... go figure!

Let me tell you somethin... This is the FIRST time I ever saw this.. episode.. and I was laughing ALL the way throgh it... I thought this was very good.. much better than any Here's Lucy episode... (with a few exceptions)... why the heck was this show cancelled???!!!! This isn't bad.. really it was very cute an dang funny... too bad they pulled the plug...the wrong people had the "boxes" back then.. .they should have put neilson boxes in my house and people like me should have had neilson boxes.. then LUCILLE would have stayed on the air a bit longer.. MANY shows SUCKED at that time.. and this show would have gone on longer... SHAME on the powers that be to pull the plug too soooon on the QUEEN...!.... Well what's done is done.. but seriously.. this wasn't as bad as I have read.... I thought this was a very cute and fun romp... go figure!

The ep on her taking care of plants was ok, but I agree with you, for some reason it seems much better today then it did back then. I thought her delivery was excellent and she looked great too. The reasons it was cancelled was not just due to the Neilsen boxes, it was because people tuned in to see Lucy Ricardo and they got an old lady instead, the writing was weak, the situations stale, it needed a strong lead in to give it a chance to change as it did with the great Audrey Meadows working with Lucy, that seventh one was the best of the series and a sign of better things to come, in MY opinion of course.

The ep on her taking care of plants was ok, but I agree with you, for some reason it seems much better today then it did back then. I thought her delivery was excellent and she looked great too. The reasons it was cancelled was not just due to the Neilsen boxes, it was because people tuned in to see Lucy Ricardo and they got an old lady instead, the writing was weak, the situations stale, it needed a strong lead in to give it a chance to change as it did with the great Audrey Meadows working with Lucy, that seventh one was the best of the series and a sign of better things to come, in MY opinion of course.

But what did people expect? Lucy to still be young? Personally I think we saw an old Lucy Ricardo - she was almost reminiscent of her ILL days. She certainly didn't act like Carter or Carmichael in it! I think that's where it failed. She should have acted more subdued - it was too over the top as much as I like the show - she should have "acted her age" so to speak. I think she wanted to relive the Ricardo days but it just made you cringe rather than laugh. Don't get me wrong, I can see past that and enjoy it but I can see why people didn't.

But what did people expect? Lucy to still be young? Personally I think we saw an old Lucy Ricardo - she was almost reminiscent of her ILL days. She certainly didn't act like Carter or Carmichael in it! I think that's where it failed. She should have acted more subdued - it was too over the top as much as I like the show - she should have "acted her age" so to speak. I think she wanted to relive the Ricardo days but it just made you cringe rather than laugh. Don't get me wrong, I can see past that and enjoy it but I can see why people didn't.

If she were alive today and this show was on, I think it would have worked. Back then there wasn't much respect for older actors/actresses. Look at Betty White today or Carol Burnett, etc. Dems some classy old broads. :lucyhaha:

Oh but now we know it wasn't the network who "pulled the plug". It was Gary. The network offered to continue the show at a reduced rate and Gary turned them down. Stu Shostak let it slip out once but has never mentioned it again. Every time I think about it I see red. Im sorry but this was not his decision to make!! This was the end of HER career and that no talented,second rate comic had NO right to make the call. He didn't even tell her about the offer!! This above everything else Gary did wrong with her career, I will never forgive him for! The success that Lucy and Desi built together(swallow that one Morton) ended with a decision from a no talented hack. And harsh as I know this sounds I mean every word of it!

If she were alive today and this show was on, I think it would have worked. Back then there wasn't much respect for older actors/actresses. Look at Betty White today or Carol Burnett, etc. Dems some classy old broads. :lucyhaha:

True, we forget that like Hope, she was considered an old has been, I have a few pics of her with Ginger Rogers and Ethel Merman where all three are referred to that way.

Remember the ILL ep where Lucy Ricardo was on the ledge? They said the audience didn't laugh as they were scared for her, that she'd fall off. Well, she did a bit in a big easy chair that was mechanical on LWL where they saw this old lady of 75 getting bounced around and they again worried about the old lady getting hurt, yet she handled it beautifully and it was her BEST BIT on the short lived series. I agree that she should have tried something more sophisticated and verbal instead of slapsticky, blame her hack hubby for that.

Oh but now we know it wasn't the network who "pulled the plug". It was Gary. The network offered to continue the show at a reduced rate and Gary turned them down. Stu Shostak let it slip out once but has never mentioned it again. Every time I think about it I see red. Im sorry but this was not his decision to make!! This was the end of HER career and that no talented,second rate comic had NO right to make the call. He didn't even tell her about the offer!! This above everything else Gary did wrong with her career, I will every forgive him for! The success that Lucy and Desi built together(swallow that one Morton) ended with a decision from a no talented hack. And harsh as I know this sounds I mean every word of it!

Oh my, can I get this post notarized? gary was also a cheap bastard that made her look like diamond Jane Brady. All he was concerned with was that cancellation clause he had in the contract where they had to pay a million dollars to them to end the series, money is all that hack POS was concerned with.

Oh my, can I get this post notarized? gary was also a cheap bastard that made her look like diamond Jane Brady. All he was concerned with was that cancellation clause he had in the contract where they had to pay a million dollars to them to end the series, money is all that hack POS was concerned with.

And the cherry on top is that poor Stu had to lie to Lucy in order to continue working for them. Stu says that he lost respect for Gary after that and their relationship was never the same. By the way, in Stu's interview with Desilu author Tom Gilbert Stu told Tom that on the final day of filming Life with Lucy Gary knew that the show was canceled and didn't want to face the audience. So,for the first time, Gary asked Stu to do the warm up. Stu of course, knew nothing about the show being cancelled yet and was thrilled with the offer. Then Gary said to him" But we are not paying you". At this point in the story Tom Gilbert muttered under his breath "cheap bastard" LOL The next day Stu found out the show was no more and then realized oh so thats why he let me do the warm up! (You know because Gary was so good at it!) :gary:

Oh god, here comes the Gary bashing again. I'm surprised the Jewish jokes haven't started rolling in. :lucymeh:

Im sure not a single person on this board cares that Gary was Jewish( in fact good for him!). But as for the rest .. sorry he deserves it. Still I hope this doesn't bother you to much :)

Im sure not a single person on this board cares that Gary was Jewish( in fact good for him!). But as for the rest .. sorry he deserves it. Still I hope this doesn't bother you to much :)

What an unusual comment.

BROCK: Why do you say that? People are bashing him left, right and centre that I'm surprised that him being a cheap Jew or tightarse Jew haven't started appearing. I dunno, I guess I just always liked Gary and with him being Jewish and me being Jewish I feel some form of connection with him as strange as it may sound. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't think Gazza deserves all the crap thrown at him.

DESILUFAN2: I dunno, just the fact that they were so in love with each other it sorta does bother me. I mean, who are we to judge? We don't know the whole story. Look, I know Gary had his flaws (as everyone does) but I don't think some of the comments are necessary.

Exactly. Lucy would have much more respect now than in the '80s. Like cmon, the world will absolutely stop when Betty White passes. I'm sure it would be the same if Lucy was still here. Her death would be 100x more broadcast and dreaded with the new and old generations. Fans keep gettin stronger and stronger as time passes.

BROCK: Why do you say that? People are bashing him left, right and centre that I'm surprised that him being a cheap Jew or tightarse Jew haven't started appearing. I dunno, I guess I just always liked Gary and with him being Jewish and me being Jewish I feel some form of connection with him as strange as it may sound. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't think Gazza deserves all the crap thrown at him.

DESILUFAN2: I dunno, just the fact that they were so in love with each other it sorta does bother me. I mean, who are we to judge? We don't know the whole story. Look, I know Gary had his flaws (as everyone does) but I don't think some of the comments are necessary.

Your very sweet mikidiki. But I stand by what I said. Gary deserves it. But im sorry it bothers you.

When we're criticizing his well-documented cheapness and his business sense (a lack thereof) it seems a bit of a leap to then throw in the Jewish angle, when nobody has ever brought his religion into it. Perhaps I read too much into what you posted, but it sounded to me as if you were implying that his religion plays a part in our criticism which is off-base.

When we're criticizing his well-documented cheapness and his business sense (a lack thereof) it seems a bit of a leap to then throw in the Jewish angle, when nobody has ever brought his religion into it. Perhaps I read too much into what you posted, but it sounded to me as if you were implying that his religion plays a part in our criticism which is off-base.

EXACTLY, I have never mentioned his Jewishness being a part of anything wrong with him, most of the funny men in show business were Jewish, most of the BIG builders of the entire ENTERTAINMENT industry were Jewish also, that has nothing to do with HIS being cheap, as was Lucy for that matter and she was not Jewish either.

Your very sweet mikidiki. But I stand by what I said. Gary deserves it. But im sorry it bothers you.

Stop worrying about what you said, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, you were stating facts that have been said in countless books and anybody who had any dealings with him knows all of these things to be true. He was a fourth string comic who had no class whatsoever, no business experience to speak of and Lucy gave him every opportunity to learn the business but all he was concerned with was WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME? Just read the Herb Solow book, on his work at Desilu and he has the same stories as Howard Rafayel, two Jewish men who put him down as being an idiot who never would have died rich had he not met Lucy. As a matter of fact, gary created that Europe street at Desilu, which cost a fortune and N E V E R was used for anything, no movie or tv show, and it is now the perfect example of his brainpower.

Mikidiki, you know I love you, stop trying to defend him just because you have that one thing in common, that THING, your both being Jewish has nothing to do with his being cheap, bad in business and lacking skills in comedy. He was a very good husband for Lucy though and held her hand and stopped people from annoying her and that sort of thing, for which he was very well paid. Idolize Steven Spielberg instead, a much better choice, LOL!

Stop worrying about what you said, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, you were stating facts that have been said in countless books and anybody who had any dealings with him knows all of these things to be true. He was a fourth string comic who had no class whatsoever, no business experience to speak of and Lucy gave him every opportunity to learn the business but all he was concerned with was WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME? Just read the Herb Solow book, on his work at Desilu and he has the same stories as Howard Rafayel, two Jewish men who put him down as being an idiot who never would have died rich had he not met Lucy. As a matter of fact, gary created that Europe street at Desilu, which cost a fortune and N E V E R was used for anything, no movie or tv show, and it is now the perfect example of his brainpower.

Yep right on. I just don't understand what Lucy saw in him. Oh I know I know. She saw stability. But come on she couldn't have found someone bright and capable like Desi before the drinking got out of hand?(Even then he was brilliant but no longer capable) Oh and he made her laugh. That I will NEVER understand LOL. The guy wasn't funny! Ive seen his standup act! I just don't get it. Ive always felt I understood her relationship with Desi. I clearly see why she fell madly in love with him and I understand just as clearly why they had to divorce. Gary I will never understand

Archived