November 24, PBS: Carol Burnett receives the Mark Twain Prize

Brock

Lucie Arnaz and Julie Andrews will be among those paying tribute to Carol Burnett when her Mark Twain Prize for Comedy is broadcast on PBS on November 24:

WASHINGTON — Julie Andrews, Tony Bennett, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will honor Carol Burnett as she receives the nation's top humor prize in Washington.

The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is awarding Burnett the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on Oct. 20. The show will be broadcast on PBS stations Nov. 24.

The lineup of entertainers who will salute Burnett on stage also includes Maya Rudolph, Martin Short and Lucie Arnaz, the daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

Burnett became famous playing a variety of characters in sketch comedy routines for 11 years on TV's "The Carol Burnett Show." She had her breakout on Broadway in "Once Upon a Mattress" while also appearing on morning TV.

The prize honors Mark Twain's tradition of satire and social commentary.- See more at: http://bostonherald....h.r5SsDHr7.dpuf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Carol is ALWAYS so well dressed.  I can understand the line up being small potatoes, most of the superstars from her ERA are gone.  Thank God Tina and Amy and Marty were there.  As well as her old co stars Tim and Vicki.  Poor Lucie will forever be seeing that DAUGHTER OF LUCILLE BALL AND DESI ARNAZ thing huh?

Carol is ALWAYS so well dressed.  I can understand the line up being small potatoes, most of the superstars from her ERA are gone.  Thank God Tina and Amy and Marty were there.  As well as her old co stars Tim and Vicki.  Poor Lucie will forever be seeing that DAUGHTER OF LUCILLE BALL AND DESI ARNAZ thing huh?

I know you'd think she could be defined on her own for once. Also, it's not like anyone with half a brain couldn't put two and two together and figure it out for themselves.

• 1 month later...

carol-burnett-the-mark-twain-prize.jpg

Carol Burnett: The Mark Twain Prize
NEW

Comedic actress Carol Burnett receives the 16th Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
(Note: LA-area times/channels - check YOUR local listings! ;))
SUN 11/24   8:00 - 10:00 PM  PBS
Repeats:
WED 11/27  9:00 - 11:00 PM  PBS
FRI 11/29    12:00 - 2:00 AM   PBS
                    9:00 - 11:00 AM & 3:00 - 5:00 PM PBS

There were a few exchanges of dialogue added compared to the CBS Salutes version.  Interesting how they cut up the song. 

I don't know how she does it, but Lucie gets lovelier the older she gets.  She looks a full 25 years younger than her actual age.

When I saw the clip was starting from the beginning I said, how are they going to chop this up because it's long. I knew they would not play the whole thing but glad they showed this clip. It's my favorite Carol and Lucy sketch.

Lucie had mile long legs. She should thank her mother for those, but yes she is very well preserved.

What a wonderful salute to the "First Lady of Television Variety" as it was so aptly put. Lucie's first gesture of catching her mother's kiss from heaven and throwing it to Carol was nothing short of lovely.

LucieArnaz_BurnettMTP_t700.jpg

Oh is that what that was?  Lovely gesture indeed, I saw them throwing kisses but never got that first part.  I said in Carol's thread that Lucie looks better now than she ever has and her legs just like mom's are to die for.  And she speaks so well and had such a  great story too, one we'd NEVER HEARD BEFORE too, which is rare!

When I saw the clip was starting from the beginning I said, how are they going to chop this up because it's long. I knew they would not play the whole thing but glad they showed this clip. It's my favorite Carol and Lucy sketch.

Lucie had mile long legs. She should thank her mother for those, but yes she is very well preserved.

They should have shown more of the musical numbers of Carol's instead of those mostly unfunny ones that did now show off her talents as well.

There were a few exchanges of dialogue added compared to the CBS Salutes version.  Interesting how they cut up the song. 

I don't know how she does it, but Lucie gets lovelier the older she gets.  She looks a full 25 years younger than her actual age.

So true...but I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Carol is now 80 and looks a good twenty years younger herself! :professor:

Archived