Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

Not to mention the real Lucy was 5 months pregnant by September 1952...

My mistake was making too many assumptions about this movie. It took me the last few months to realize this. I assumed since they were focusing on the week of the Red Scare "The Girls Go Into Business" would play at least a minor part. I assumed that since that week was full of drama, tension, love, and commitment there would be no need to add in other events that happened months or years apart. Basically, I assumed that "Hollywood embellishments" would be relatively minor. Now I realize that was pretty naive of me. That doesn't mean I won't cringe when I go watch it, but I'll be a little more prepared on what to expect.

• Like 1

Well when you are a producer on the film you can't really come out and say, "well sorry kids for yelling at you earlier this year that you must like this film, but it's really not what I thought it was going to be."  Of course she is going to like it because if she doesn't, so many fans won't see it. That has been the number 1 thing I'm seeing from skeptical fans is that her support is huge. And maybe she truly did like it, but she has a very unique and one of a kind way of viewing this film.

I really want to know that with all the inaccuracies I'm hearing this film has, why was it ok for her to criticize the other films for not being right, when this one won't get it right either?  Did her dad somehow come off better in this one? But we still have the Confidential magazine cover story so we can not get away from the fact the man cheated. Maybe Javier gives some long speech justifying how it wasn't as much as it was made out to be.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Well when you are a producer on the film you can't really come out and say, "well sorry kids for yelling at you earlier this year that you must like this film, but it's really not what I thought it was going to be."  Of course she is going to like it because if she doesn't, so many fans won't see it. That has been the number 1 thing I'm seeing from skeptical fans is that her support is huge. And maybe she truly did like it, but she has a very unique and one of a kind way of viewing this film.

I really want to know that with all the inaccuracies I'm hearing this film has, why was it ok for her to criticize the other films for not being right, when this one won't get it right either?  Did her dad somehow come off better in this one? But we still have the Confidential magazine cover story so we can not get away from the fact the man cheated. Maybe Javier gives some long speech justifying how it wasn't as much as it was made out to be.

Shelly,

that's (one of) the reason(s) I thought she put that spin on it, her name is gonna be on it (not to mention more than likely a nice chunk of $$$), what else can she say?? Also like mindedly (is that a word??), if Desi comes off better than her mom I'm sure that factors in her favoring it... oh my oh my oh my.... kinda wish the teaser hadn't been released yet, at least so far from the premiere (wonder if they'll "leak" more clips??), if for no other reason that my previously kinda-open-mind about this (sorta) is narrowing as I thought the narration of it by Kidman, the writing/what was espoused that is, is just downright OBNOXIOUS! 😮  The Lady would NEVER have gone on that way about herself, no matter how much she may have thought it of/to herself! Such a turnoff! If this is the overlying "tone" of the whole film, I think we're in for a world of hurt! :HALKING:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeySoCal said:

Re: "I wonder if she succeeded getting the RKO/MGM scene cut she wanted gone." OOh! I'm unfamiliar, what is this you speak of Brianson???

https://www.thewrap.com/lucille-balls-daughter-pushed-to-remove-scenes-that-werent-accurate-from-aaron-sorkins-biopic/

you can also find some other posts covering this topic on the previous page of this thread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Well said.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this on my social.

Being the Ricardos trailer review. I was dreading this but honestly it gives me some hope. It’s clear that there was a lot of money put into it and it looks like a compelling drama. I’m not into all the moody, washed out lighting. Did everything happen in the dark?

I’m still seeing Nicole in every shot. Hair when she is not on set is not at all how Lucy wore it, and the red tones seem really dulled down. I think they even have her as brunette when she first met Desi (she was a blonde). I haven’t seen enough of her acting to judge for Lucy mannerisms, but there is a similar head tilt. The Lucy voice seems to come and go, which I think is going to get annoying. Listen to her say “Sorry I got lost for a second.” That’s Lucy’s cadence and a hint of her voice. And listen close at the very end, an older Lucy laugh.

The thing that pissed me off the most was the line from Lucy, “I’m Lucille Ball, when I’m funny, you’ll know it.” NO, NO, NO. Again, with the arrogance. Lucy said over and over. “I’m not funny. I do funny things (meaning on screen) My writers are funny.” And that voiceover on the last trailer is what gives me BIG concern they wrote her all wrong. If Lucy comes off as Diva, that will do more to hurt her legacy then any factual errors in this film. This right now is my biggest concern.

Javier. I’m still getting very little from him to judge his Desi. Javiar’s age is throwing me off big time. I better see lots of warmth and charm in his portrayal because Desi had a wonderful softer side. But he also had an explosive temper too. It’s a fine line to portray him so that the audience will still love him.

I was always on board with JK as Bill and I’m still liking what I see. At first I was not getting Viv, but the hair from the early 50s looks right once I looked up pictures. I hope the acting matches up. There is very little of Viv to watch from the 50s to get a sense of who she was. Most is after 1960.

The trailer is heavy on 2 subjects. The Communist red scare is one. I will be taking a deep dive into that next week in a multipart series, so we know all the facts and how it happened. The other is the Confidential magazine story and Desi’s cheating. Now a certain producer on this film seems to think her father didn’t cheat very much. So, with that said, what version of the truth will this movie show? Because there are so many creditable accounts from other friends and family who witnessed that it was bad.

Other scenes I’m interested in seeing is that meeting on top of Cold Water Canyon in the late 40s, Shooting Too Many Girls and their first meeting. That’s Ann Miller Dancing in that one clip. My Favorite Husband recording is also shown. And I’m curious as to what goes on at Ciros.

Overall it’s goanna be a long month with the press tour and additional clips coming out. I’m hoping to see it in a theatre on the 10th.

• Like 1

I just can't with that Hollywood Reporter interview. The reporter asked excellent questions many of us had and all we got was BS from Aaron. He said people today don't find the show funny, he didn't care if the actor's looked or even tried to act like the real life people. He gave some answer I still don't understand about not casting a Cuban. He thinks Lucille off screen was either Marilyn Monroe or Rita Hayworth. I could go on but it reeks of arrogance and a writer drunk on his own power. 

Who did he make this film for because he insulted a huge fan base and anyone who even remotely likes Lucy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I just can't with that Hollywood Reporter interview. The reporter asked excellent questions many of us had and all we got was BS from Aaron. He said people today don't find the show funny, he didn't care if the actor's looked or even tried to act like the real life people. He gave some answer I still don't understand about not casting a Cuban. He thinks Lucille off screen was either Marilyn Monroe or Rita Hayworth. I could go on but it reeks of arrogance and a writer drunk on his own power. 

Who did he make this film for because he insulted a huge fan base and anyone who even remotely likes Lucy.

I read the excerpts you shared on Instagram and am still scratching my head. People nowadays don’t find the show funny? I guess the fact it’s still in reruns and has recently been rebroadcast in Primetime on CBS is because it’s lousy, then. Ai yi yi yi yi! And none of the books written about Lucy and Desi have been very good? NONE of them?? Well smush me in grapes and color me purple!

A very good article on the research and work Nicole and Javier did to prepare themselves for their roles. The more I read I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Aaron is really the problem here. Nicole wanted to get every same move down for grape stopping. Aaron said it didn't matter. And then his totally wrong fixation on how "Lucy" didn't look like Lucille stopped the hair and makeup department from giving Nicole the correct Lucille look. I mean a simple read of Desi's book and you'd know Lucy wasn't brunette when she met Desi.

And this point Nicole and Javier have my sympathy for having to deal with a director who shut down the good work they were achieving. If Aaron could have seen in Lucy and Desi what the actors did in their research we may have ended up with a stellar film instead of a problematic one.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-11-11/being-the-ricardos-i-love-lucy-nicole-kidman-javier-bardem

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:57 PM, Luvsbway said:

A very good article on the research and work Nicole and Javier did to prepare themselves for their roles. The more I read I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Aaron is really the problem here. Nicole wanted to get every same move down for grape stopping. Aaron said it didn't matter. And then his totally wrong fixation on how "Lucy" didn't look like Lucille stopped the hair and makeup department from giving Nicole the correct Lucille look. I mean a simple read of Desi's book and you'd know Lucy wasn't brunette when she met Desi.

And this point Nicole and Javier have my sympathy for having to deal with a director who shut down the good work they were achieving. If Aaron could have seen in Lucy and Desi what the actors did in their research we may have ended up with a stellar film instead of a problematic one.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-11-11/being-the-ricardos-i-love-lucy-nicole-kidman-javier-bardem

Thanks for sharing this. A very interesting read.

This reminds me of some comments Rachel York made. She did lots of research and was disappointed the filmmakers chose not to include or focus on many of the facts she’d uncovered, choosing instead to “play the surface” of Lucille’s life. She found it frustrating to only get to play the TV version of her life instead of digging deeper.