Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

26 minutes ago, Neil said:

Spoiler alert:  they get divorced...

Am I mistaken or in Desi's "A Book", did he suggest Lucy actually tried to kill him FOR REAL with a gun that turned out to be a cigarette lighter---and he calmly lit his cigarette from the flame?   There are SO many things wrong with this story.  First off, wouldn't Lucy know it's not a real gun (and she obviously didn't try to load it)?  And it's nice of Lucy to keep the flame going by keeping her finger solidly on the trigger, so Desi could do his cigarette lighting bit....yeah, right. 

Don't forget in Lucy's book she talked about hitting Desi with a cast iron pan and knocking him out. She thought she killed him and her and Harriet were trying to come up with a plan.  So it seems like these 2 both could weave a tale that sounded like a plot from their own show. 

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

Lucie and Kate did a great Instagram Live today and mentioned that, with all the production delays, Cate is no longer attached to the picture. 

Interesting. I sort of thought this would happen. Cate seems very busy with lots of stuff.

Any other news from Lucy Land they shared?

4 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Interesting. I sort of thought this would happen. Cate seems very busy with lots of stuff.

Any other news from Lucy Land they shared?

I don’t recall any other breaking news. In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, they mainly took questions about what Desi would think about certain current events and what advice he would give. I hope they continue to do these videos. Next time they should make it so they can continue to be viewed afterwards. 

They made it seem like they were looking for another actress to play Lucy and planning to proceed with the project. 

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are in negotiations for the film, now called Being the Ricardos. Aaron Sorkin will direct. 

https://deadline.com/2021/01/aaron-sorkin-nicole-kidman-javier-bardem-lucille-ball-desi-ricardo-being-the-ricardos-1234651297/

Did they just throw a bunch of A list redheads and Latin men in a hat and pick one? If so I would have preferred Bryce Dallas Howard. 

A few years back they said it was to be a one week plot. Its red scare all the way. Calling Judy Davis, we need you to do Hedda again. 

• Like 1

Those are not bad casting choices. I do wonder about Sorkin being attached, as I'm not usually a fan of his writing. This makes me wonder who on earth will be cast in other roles. I really have no clue. Whenever this project comes to fruition, I AM anticipating the Lounge nitpicking it to death as only diehard fans could.

• Like 1

There's a lot of griping about getting an actress who can do comedy for the role, but I'm guessing that Sorkin's script isn't big on laughs. Studio 60 had a similar setting and emphasized the backstage drama over the fictional sketch series that was being produced. If this is Sorkin's immediate followup to The Trial of the Chicago 7, he's probably got carte blanche to do what he wants. It'll probably be serviceable at best. And Carole Cook needs a cameo.

8 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Obviously this is the type of film that will be submitted for awards consideration left, right and centre, but I’m curious which ones it’ll be eligible for. Will it qualify for the Oscars or is Amazon considered TV and therefore Emmys?

Like most of Amazon’s films, this would likely get a theatrical release and qualify for Oscars. 

• Like 1

First word from Nicole:

It was recently announced she’s playing Lucille Ball opposite Javier Bardem as Desi Arnaz in Aaron Sorkin’s “Being the Ricardos.” “I was like, ‘Yeah, I would love to give it a go,’” Kidman says. “With Aaron’s words and his direction and Javier … that’s kind of a wonderful prospect to, you know. But yikes, off we go. Give it a go. Try my best—see if I can do it.”

Kidman’s been watching a lot of “I Love Lucy.” “I love Lucille, having looked now and delved into her,” Kidman says. “She’s an amazing woman. I’m very excited for people to see what Aaron found out about her and the way he’s interpreted Desi and Lucy and the way that it’s so rich. I didn’t know any of this.”

https://variety.com/2021/film/columns/nicole-kidman-the-undoing-lucille-ball-1234893157/

6 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

This worries me. For as much as we've been told its not Lucy Ricardo and I Love Lucy I would hope Nicole is going to get cracking on learning the real lady soon. So it seems like she doesn't know much about Lucy at all?

We should find out who represents her and send an approved list of books and documentaries. :)

4 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

We should find out who represents her and send an approved list of books and documentaries. :)

And I wonder if she even read the script. Any confidence Lucie worked to build got blown out by this. The Today Show played the audio of this interview this morning. It was so flippant.