Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

On 1/29/2021 at 12:39 AM, Luvsbway said:

And I wonder if she even read the script. Any confidence Lucie worked to build got blown out by this. The Today Show played the audio of this interview this morning. It was so flippant.

That’s not good. She’s not exactly a physical or vocal match to begin with, so she’d really need to study if she hopes to be taken seriously in the part. 

From Aaron Sorkin:

Trial of the Chicago 7 is Sorkin's second film as writer-director; he previously helmed Molly's Gamewith Jessica Chastain, and he'll soon begin filming his next project, Being the RicardosThe upcoming Amazon film stars Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem as married TV legends Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

"They have a very complicated, fascinating relationship," Sorkin teases. "The movie takes place in one production week of I Love Lucy, [from] the Monday table read to Friday audience taping. There are flashbacks that show how the two of them got together and how I Love Lucy finally happened. But mostly it takes place during this week where, I don't want to be coy, but a big event occurs that I think most people don't know about when they think about Lucille Ball."

Sorkin adds that he hopes Kidman's performance as Ball will shine a new light on the woman behind one of the most iconic sitcoms in Hollywood history.

"The number one thing that makes Nicole the right person for this part is she's a world-class actress," Sorkin adds. "She's phenomenal. The role isn't Lucy Ricardo. It's Lucille Ball. There are moments throughout the film where we see little shards of I Love Lucy, and so she'll be doing her best Lucy Ricardo there. But the meat of the role is not Lucy Ricardo."

https://ew.com/awards/golden-globes/aaron-sorkin-trial-of-the-chicago-7-being-the-ricardos/

big event occurs that I think most people don't know about when they think about Lucille Ball."

Is the Communist thing really that unknown?

The number one thing that makes Nicole the right person for this part is she's a world-class actress,"

Well that's sort of a low bar.  We just threw all the A list actresses in a hat and kept picking until one said yes and we thought could win us an Oscar.

• Thanks 1

After Nina’s Tony winning Broadway triumphs several years ago, I expected her to become the biggest thing in show business. For whatever reason, that didn’t happen. She does work constantly and seems to be the go-to for supporting roles in show business period films. She previously had standout roles in Florence Foster Jenkins and Stan & Ollie. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 3:39 AM, Luvsbway said:

Well that's sort of a low bar.  We just threw all the A list actresses in a hat and kept picking until one said yes and we thought could win us an Oscar. 

I wonder if this film’s marketing will have the same, blatant “For Your Consideration” feel that Renee’s “Judy” movie had.

I know she’s not a big enough name for these filmmakers, but I personally think Rachel York should have another go. She’s more age appropriate this time around, and it’d be nice to see her take on Lucille with a (hopefully) stronger script.

• 1 month later...

Some groovy new casting announcements. 

https://www.thewrap.com/lucille-ball-biopic-being-the-ricardos-tony-hale-alia-shawkat-jake-lacy-cast/

There are some Lucy-Desi connections in the cast. Robert Pine appeared in The Lucy Showepisode “Lucy Gets Her Diploma” and Linda Lavin worked with Desi in an episode of Alice (produced by Bob and Madelyn). Also, John Rubinstein costarred with Lucie in the National tour of Pippin. I wonder who they are playing. 

29 minutes ago, Sdolginoff said:

I predict Linda Lavin as DeDe.  Christopher Denham as Fred Ball. Robert Pine as Grandpa Hunt.  Clark Gregg as a “red scare” investigator.  

Oh, I'm digging Linda as DeDe. That would be fun. As for the rest, except for Rubenstein I don't recognize any of those names. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, Luvsbway said:

Post-Henna, Pre-Irma.

From Variety

“It was recently announced she’s playing Lucille Ball opposite Javier Bardem as Desi Arnaz in Aaron Sorkin’s “Being the Ricardos.” “I was like, ‘Yeah, I would love to give it a go,’” Kidman says. “With Aaron’s words and his direction and Javier … that’s kind of a wonderful prospect to, you know. But yikes, off we go. Give it a go. Try my best—see if I can do it.”

Kidman’s been watching a lot of “I Love Lucy.” “I love Lucille, having looked now and delved into her,” Kidman says. “She’s an amazing woman. I’m very excited for people to see what Aaron found out about her and the way he’s interpreted Desi and Lucy and the way that it’s so rich. I didn’t know any of this.”

Okay then...“yikes, off we go!“ :lucymeh:

Rachel Ray interviewed Tony Hale this week and they talked a bit about the film. Rachel was falling out of her seat with excitement about the film, but then it seems she does that all the time.

Tony said he was having a lot of fun playing Executive Producer Jessie Oppenheimer. There are 2 things wrong with this sentence. 

2 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Rachel Ray interviewed Tony Hale this week and they talked a bit about the film. Rachel was falling out of her seat with excitement about the film, but then it seems she does that all the time.

Tony said he was having a lot of fun playing Executive Producer Jessie Oppenheimer. There are 2 things wrong with this sentence. 

:lucydisgust: Oh wunnerful, wunnerful. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

The article is right, they are unrecognizable...if I said in what way, I'm afraid another post from Miss A. would result.

• Like 1