The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

LOL. This is so typical. I no sooner invest in the subscription plan and they announce this :P

I'll have to find out if any or all of these episodes are on the subscription sets, and if so I'll cancel. There are bound to be a few repeats, but I'll have to wait and see.

I noticed that you were talking about this RIGHT before they announced the Time-Life releases. It will still be worth having the CH/G-R volume sets, because they include introductions and commentaries, with Carol, Tim, and Harvey (now deceased). Plus, there may be episodes not included on the new sets.

I have the Columbia House sets, volume 1-9 and 12. Of course the later volumes are the ones to have, I guess. I plan to get the ultimate Carol Burnett Time Life set!!

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that you were talking about this RIGHT before they announced the Time-Life releases. It will still be worth having the CH/G-R volume sets, because they include introductions and commentaries, with Carol, Tim, and Harvey (now deceased). Plus, there may be episodes not included on the new sets.

I have the Columbia House sets, volume 1-9 and 12. Of course the later volumes are the ones to have, I guess. I plan to get the ultimate Carol Burnett Time Life set!!

Right. I've kept the subscription for now. I may get one of the smaller sets just for some of the new bonus features.

• 1 month later...

And goodness me check out this press release for all the thousands of special features the new set will have!

TIME LIFE ADDS ADDITIONAL BONUS FEATURES TO

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:

THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION

HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE A RARE INTERVIEW WITH HARVEY KORMAN & TIM CONWAY,

REMINISCING ABOUT THEIR YEARS TOGETHER ON THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

Deluxe Collector's Set Now Boasts Over 20 Hours Of Exclusive

Bonus Features, Including 12 Newly-Produced Featurettes

50-Episode Collection-With Each Episode Hand-Picked By

Carol Burnett Is Currently Available For Pre-Order At

WWW.CAROLONDVD.COM and will ship the week of August 6

FAIRFAX, VA - On April 20, 2004, Harvey Korman and Tim Conway conducted an interview at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences in Los Angeles. They talked for 90 minutes about their legendary antics on The Carol Burnett Show, but the interview has rarely been seen by the general public...until now. This emotional and revealing interview will now be included - in its entirety - as part of the bonus features for Time Life's upcoming DVD release, The Carol Burnett Show - The Ultimate Collection.

In addition to the 90-minute session with Tim Conway, Harvey Korman also did a separate 90-minute solo interview at the Museum of TV and Radio, and that too will be included in The Ultimate Collection, which will now boast a staggering 20-plus hours of Bonus Features. Check out a sneak peek of the fantastic interview right here:

Also announced by Time Life are details for two additional pieces of bonus material for upcoming The Carol Burnett Show DVD set:

The UCLA Library Special Collection was the source of Carol's guest book from Season 10, and this priceless momento has been turned into a virtual tour through the season, with highlights of performances from Carol's guests, including Betty White, Dinah Shore, Jim Nabors, Steve Lawence and Eydie Gorme, among others.

"One More Time" is an exclusive 20-page memory book with photos from the show, summaries of classic moments, and anecdotes about Carol from guest stars and friends of Carol, from Carl Reiner and Betty White, to Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler.

All 50 episodes in The Ultimate Collection were hand-picked by Carol Burnett and include the most acclaimed and beloved episodes from the show's legendary 11-year run. Highlights include:

The Season 10 classic episode with the two-part sketch "Went With the Wind," with guest Dinah Shore.

Several episodes featuring "As The Stomach Turns" sketches, including Season 11's Close Encounters of the Third Kind parody (with Steve Martin & Betty White) and The Exorcist parody from Season 7 (with Bernadette Peters).

The Season 7 program from the Sydney, Australia Opera House...the only episode of The Carol Burnett Show from outside the U.S.

Carol does her best Joan Crawford in a "Mildred Fierce" sketch from Season 10. And in a Season 8 episode with guests Phil Silvers and Jean Stapleton, Carol does a great Cher take-off

One of Carol's favorite sketches, "The Pail" is a highlight of a Season 9 episode that also features Bernadette Peters. And another Carol fave, "Snow White-15 Years Later" (Season 6) is also included.

Several episodes featuring Carol as Stella Toddler are included, including "The Hospital" and "The Maiden and the Mugger" (both from Season 9).

Multiple episodes featuring "The Family" are included, with guests Betty White (Seasons 9 & 10), Roddy McDowall (Seasons 7 & 8), Joanne Woodward (Season 9), Tom Smothers (Season 8), and Maggie Smith (Season 9).

Among other featured episodes are the Season 7 show with the Jackson 5; Shirley MacLaine's star turn from Season 9; a Season 8 episode featuring both Carl Reiner and George Carlin; and another Season 8 episode featuring both Joan Rivers and Vincent Price.

Other episodes feature the classic sketches and characters Mr. Tudball and Mrs Wiggins, Carol & Sis, The Oldest Man, The Hollow Hero and Kitchen Commercials

As previously announced, Time Life interviewed over twenty people as part of the Bonus Feature production, including guests from the show (Betty White, Carl Reiner, Jerry Lewis, Ken Berry, Rita Moreno, Steve Lawrence, Lainie Kazan and Joel Grey); writers (Kenny Solms, Gail Parent, Ken and Mitzi Welch); designer Bob Mackie; and current performers influenced by Carol (Ellen DeGeneres, Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler).

All told The Ultimate Collection now boasts 12 featurettes; 20 interviews, in addition to the Harvey Korman treasure; the Season 10 Guest Book and the 20-page Memory Book.

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION: BONUS FEATURES

"Harvey Korman & Tim Conway-Together Again": (2-parts with Harvey & Tim; 2 parts with Harvey)

Season 10 Guest Book: A virtual tour through the season, with Carol's guests.

"Let's Bump Up the Lights": Cast reunion with Carol, Vicki Lawrence, Tim Conway and Lyle Waggoner (3 parts-"Let's Bump Up the Lights," "This Time Together" & "One More Time")

Three episodes The Garry Moore Show featuring Carol Burnett, released on DVD for the first time:

The "Supergirl" sketch: the first time Carol did the Tarzan yell on television (original air date March 6, 1962)

Carol as Cinderella (original air date April 24, 1962)

Carol's last appearance as a member of the cast (original air date June 26, 1962)

FEATURETTES

I Want to Push that Button: The History of The Carol Burnett Show

"Ahhhh, Mrs. Whiggins?" As In "Tudball and Wiggins"

Leading Lady: Carol Burnett As A Television Pioneer

Gags and Gowns: A Tribute to Designer Bob Mackie

Side Effects May Include...: About the TV Commercials

Focus on "The Family"

From Soaps To 'Nuts...: About the TV Parodies

"Bring Up the Lights": Carol's Q&As

Laugh Tracks: A Tribute to the Writers on The Carol Burnett Show

Starlet, Mildred, and More: A Celebration of the Movie Parodies

Next Stop, Broadway: About the "Mini-musicals"

Breaking Up Is Hard...Not to Do: The Ensemble Chemistry and Famous "break-ups" on The Carol Burnett Show

We Love You Harvey

RARELY SEEN BONUS SKETCHES

"The Dentist," with Tim Conway and Harvey Korman (original air date March 3, 1969)

"Society Marriage" with Jerry Lewis (original air date January 11, 1971)

"The Rock Sisters" with Lucille Ball (original air date November 24, 1969)

"Brown Derby" with Bing Crosby and cameo by Bob Hope (original air date November 10, 1969)

"The Lovely Story," parody of Love Story (original air date February 1, 1971)

"Sunnyset Boulevard," parody of Sunset Boulevard, with Carol and Harvey Korman (original air date December 29, 1971)

INTERVIEWS

Carol Burnett

Betty White

Carl Reiner

Tim Conway

Steve Lawrence

Vicki Lawrence

Joel Grey

Ken Berry

Lainie Kazan

Bernadette Peters

Gail Parent

Kenny Solms

Jerry Lewis

Amy Poehler

Lyle Waggoner

Ellen DeGeneres

Jane Lynch

Kyra Thompson

Bob Mackie

Rita Moreno

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION is now available for pre-order at CarolOnDVD.com and will ship to customers on August 6.

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-The-Ultimate-Collection/17236#ixzz20ubTHIkZ

• 2 months later...

Plugging the new DVDs, I presume. Hoorah! maryjane2.JPG

And maybe, just maybe, she's come up with a NEW Lucy story and not . . . she came, the second night of a show i was in, Once Upon a Mattress, she aws sitting in the second row, i could see her with the red hair . . . . LOL! No way to get those dvds in regular sotres huh?

And maybe, just maybe, she's come up with a NEW Lucy story and not . . . she came, the second night of a show i was in, Once Upon a Mattress, she aws sitting in the second row, i could see her with the red hair . . . . LOL! No way to get those dvds in regular sotres huh?

These will be in stores.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww right, then i will definitely be getting them, Lucy featured on any of them, i think she did the show three times?

Lucy was on four times. The full episodes released on DVD are of the later seasons only. However, some of Carol's favorite sketches from the early seasons are included as extras. This includes Lucy's "Rock Sisters" sketch from her third appearance on the show.

Lucy was on four times. The full episodes released on DVD are of the later seasons only. However, some of Carol's favorite sketches from the early seasons are included as extras. This includes Lucy's "Rock Sisters" sketch from her third appearance on the show.

Well then, when are we gonna see Lucy's four appearances on dvd?

The bonus features sound awesome but it appears most of these episodes are the same ones that have been released in the past, first on vhs and then later on dvd via the subscription mentioned. Still, it's a great set, any word on the price?

By the way - gossip time :lucythrill: - does anyone else think Bob Hope is the unnamed comedian who had an affair with Carol's mother in the 1940's which she mentions in passing in her autobiography? It would explain Carol's almost non-existant association with Hope (had no idea he made a cameo on one of her shows though but then it was on a Bing Crosby episode; the only time I've seen them together was a clipping from the 1960's when Carol, Bob, Richard Chamberlain, and Donna Douglas are all pictured together having won TV Guide awards (remember those - I don't actually and wonder how long they were given).

By the way - gossip time :lucythrill: - does anyone else think Bob Hope is the unnamed comedian who had an affair with Carol's mother in the 1940's which she mentions in passing in her autobiography? It would explain Carol's almost non-existant association with Hope (had no idea he made a cameo on one of her shows though but then it was on a Bing Crosby episode; the only time I've seen them together was a clipping from the 1960's when Carol, Bob, Richard Chamberlain, and Donna Douglas are all pictured together having won TV Guide awards (remember those - I don't actually and wonder how long they were given).

Interesting! I forgot about that bit from Carol's book. There are several times where Carol and Bob appeared alongside each other on another's show or special (usually Bing's), but I cannot think of a single instance in which the two of them worked one-on-one.

Here's Carol and Bob side by side with Bing and Pearl Bailey:

Maybe HE was her daddy? :marionstrong:

Have NOT read Burnett's auto-biography; won't until the 'stars align' and she 'gives her time' to the Museum, as promised. Still mad about THAT! The question I have is this: Was Carol Burnett's mother in show business? If not, explain the reference to BH....thanks if you can....Loving you, JK

Have NOT read Burnett's auto-biography; won't until the 'stars align' and she 'gives her time' to the Museum, as promised. Still mad about THAT! The question I have is this: Was Carol Burnett's mother in show business? If not, explain the reference to BH....thanks if you can....Loving you, JK

Carol's mother did a little free-lancing writing in the early 1940's for movie magazines. If I'm not mistaken (don't own the book, read a library copy) Carol mentions a few stars she interviewed including Bob Hope. Some pages later Carol mentions her mother had an affair with a comedian during this period, a star whose voice Carol recognized when she once answered their phone. The book was published when Bob (and Mrs. Hope) were still alive so I imagine that's why he wasn't named outright but the previous mention of Hope's name made it seem obvious.

Carol's mother did a little free-lancing writing in the early 1940's for movie magazines. If I'm not mistaken (don't own the book, read a library copy) Carol mentions a few stars she interviewed including Bob Hope. Some pages later Carol mentions her mother had an affair with a comedian during this period, a star whose voice Carol recognized when she once answered their phone. The book was published when Bob (and Mrs. Hope) were still alive so I imagine that's why he wasn't named outright but the previous mention of Hope's name made it seem obvious.

Why the hell NOT name him, everybody in Hollywood knew he catted around more than Desi on a good day. Had women stashed in houses all over the hills.

Even though "the Carol Burnett Show" won Best Variety Show 3 times in its 11 years, the Academy didn't really seem to cotton to the show. By the 70s variety was dying and it appears to me that if the Emmy voters had ANY other choice they didn't give it to Carol.

CB lost to Laugh-In its first two years (also LI's first two)

The third season it lost to "The David Frost Show"---hardly a 'variety' show.

4th season : Flip Wilson

She finally won for the 5th season 71-72 over The Dean Martin Show, Flip and Sonny&Cher

6th: Lost to "Julie Andrews Hour" which had been canceled

7th : win but only two other nominees "Sonny and Cher' and "Tonight Show"

The 8th and 9th season there were only two nominees in the category which gives you an idea how far variety shows had sunk.

8th: win over "Cher"'s short-lived show

9th: lost to SNL in its first season

10: winner Van Dyke and Co. which was canceled mid-season

11th: The Muppet Show

Even though "the Carol Burnett Show" won Best Variety Show 3 times in its 11 years, the Academy didn't really seem to cotton to the show. By the 70s variety was dying and it appears to me that if the Emmy voters had ANY other choice they didn't give it to Carol.

CB lost to Laugh-In its first two years (also LI's first two)

The third season it lost to "The David Frost Show"---hardly a 'variety' show.

4th season : Flip Wilson

She finally won for the 5th season 71-72 over The Dean Martin Show, Flip and Sonny&Cher

6th: Lost to "Julie Andrews Hour" which had been canceled

7th : win but only two other nominees "Sonny and Cher' and "Tonight Show"

The 8th and 9th season there were only two nominees in the category which gives you an idea how far variety shows had sunk.

8th: win over "Cher"'s short-lived show

9th: lost to SNL in its first season

10: winner Van Dyke and Co. which was canceled mid-season

11th: The Muppet Show

Amazingly true, the Television Academy so seldom gets anything right, but the element of sophistication missing on the show was the main culprit, like the Oscars, they look for the classy crap the general audience doesn't embrace as much. Lucy won her 3rd and 4th Emmys when she became this sophisticated lady who owned and ran a studio, it always was a factor in these awards. If the Emmy voters are presented POPULAR choices or classy ones, the classy one always wins. I just read a scathing review of the Carol Burnett dvds, saying among other things that the humor was scarce, most of it did not hold up, and other nonsense. One has to remember WHEN that show was ON, it was long ago, it ran for so long that it HAD to be GREAT and Carol was excellent in everything she did, but when watching those old shows, one has to remember the time period and unlike Lucy, they did have loads of topical references which will mean nothing to a young audience. The moron reviewing the show also states that the most famous sketch went on forever before it got to it's biggest laugh, the drape dress in Gone went the wind. Well, yeah, that's what a well crafted comedy does, build and build to get to the punchline with greater emphasis. Same as Hitchcock did with drama, a two hour set up for an action packed last ten minutes. I bought the Sonny and Cher dvds and only watched one or two, they did not hold up for me, Cher's singing was the only bright spot. As for Carol, she has lots of help from her co stars, CONWAY ALWAYS GETS MENTIONNED) her guests, FASHIONS, her own expert comedic skills, those terrific musical numbers THAT THE CRITIC SAID WENT ON MUCH TOO LONG, but he did add that her questions from the audience were always a highlight of any of her shows.

Why the hell NOT name him, everybody in Hollywood knew he catted around more than Desi on a good day. Had women stashed in houses all over the hills.

Well Carol wouldn't have done it, at least not while Bob and particularly Dolores were still living, not her style. And I think the book was published in the 1980's so Lucy was still around too and I'm sure Carol considered Lucy's friendship with Bob as well in the matter. Wouldn't surprise me if she names him though sometime in the future.

Well Carol wouldn't have done it, at least not while Bob and particularly Dolores were still living, not her style. And I think the book was published in the 1980's so Lucy was still around too and I'm sure Carol considered Lucy's friendship with Bob as well in the matter. Wouldn't surprise me if she names him though sometime in the future.

How about that guy who helped her out with a loan to get started and then never wanted his name divulged, oh wait, couldn't have been Bob, i hear he was cheaper than Fred Mertz.