Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

Great photos!

With all the obvious logistical trouble they went through, it's too bad these episodes couldn't have been better.  Not that any of HL's first season writers were up to the task, but where did they find this Gene Thompson and WHY HIM?  He has little concept of what makes for a good "Lucy" show, but then again other than Jess, 3 Bobs, and Madelyn, did ANYONE?  (OK, Bob O'Brien could hit it every once in a while.  I came within a hare's breath of actually getting to meet him).

Thompson premise loses me right from the beginning when we are expected to believe Lucy takes a 1000 miles detour and Harry sleeps through it.  It's not only so ludicrous it's not funny, it adds nothing to the plot.  Lucy said of these episodes "It's something people can identify with: a trip in a motor home."  Why couldn't they just leave it at that?

I don't like it when Lucy is so pushy, obnoxious and downright larcenous!  Just because a raft is labeled army surplus, would any half-way rational person think they can just TAKE IT, especially with a motor, which eventually sinks to the bottom.

The Indian one is one of those episodes that's so forgettable, I can't remember anything about it.

Maybe the idea of someone being able to drive a motor home directly on to a military area wasn't so outrageous back then, but talk about your lax security!

and finally.....

If The Lucy Show can feature a cameo from "our own Bill Frawley" with a reference (the only one?) to her previous series, why couldn't one of the Air Force Academy cadets be "our own Jimmy Garrett" reprising  "The Lucy Show"'s  Jerry Carmichael. 

Lucy could use the same line "He reminds me of someone I used to know!"

hw1.jpg

hw2.jpg

hw3.jpg

hw4.jpg

hw5.jpg

Wow. Very recherche. I'm assuming this was from Like Hep as that looks like Diana Ross on the right. Do you know what was going on in these pictures? I've never seen the special so I have no idea.

This was a sketch in which Lucy, Dinah, and Diana played hillbilly sisters who are turned into stars. There's a brief moment where Lucy's character tries ballet and rips the ballet barre off the wall. The shots of the three of them are from a gag that producer George Schlatter loved to repeat: the staircase is actually two staircases put together and the ladies disappear from view halfway down. It's hard to explain.

This was a sketch in which Lucy, Dinah, and Diana played hillbilly sisters who are turned into stars. There's a brief moment where Lucy's character tries ballet and rips the ballet barre off the wall. The shots of the three of them are from a gag that producer George Schlatter loved to repeat: the staircase is actually two staircases put together and the ladies disappear from view halfway down. It's hard to explain.

I get what you're saying about the staircase. Is the special available for screening somewhere and if so, is it worth it?