Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

The Paley Center for Media has it. It's not a particularly great special. The highlight is the groovy "Like Hep" number Lucy, Dinah, and Diana perform together.

But what a highlight!  If someone can decipher all the lyrics, I'd certainly appreciate it.  I'm still just getting some of them.

"You stay up late for the Betty Grable movie; Think Vera Rhuba Raltston groovy, Quote every speech by Herbert HOOVIE."  (didn't catch the Vera.....lyric before)

Great song and lyrics by Billy Barnes.

Other highlight: The three, looking gorgeous in matching gowns (particularly Lucy, of course, with her Lucy Ricardo-like hair she wore so sparingly) crooning a jazzed-up version of "dinah" which unfortunately is covered up by the closing credits.  And I think at least ONE of the trio was NOT present at the pre-record session.  There's a point where Lucy is mouthing/chanting "dinah dinah dinah" when the song has moved on.

Like a lot of variety shows and specials, this format was copied from Laugh In then at its peak, those elements of the show have not aged well.  The big problem I have with this quick-cut splice and edit method of variety shows is that it lacks the spontaneity of being in front of an audience and the "electronically reproduced response" is very annoying.  On single cam comedy shows, the canned laughter was something we got used to, but when they started doing it in variety shows....well, even as a kid I found it annoying.   ESPECIALLY when there is immediate laughter at clever lyrics within a song.  This response is A)-not necessary and B)- unrealistic. It takes a little time to absorb cleverness within a song.

I love when I can put something together.  These pictures are from Lured and Her Husband's Affairs.  The shawl Lucy is wearing does not appear in either movie.  I think this is a personal piece she kept in her dressing room for between takes so she wouldn't get cold.

bdog.jpg

4d.JPG

I never thought of that!  You're right.  With Parley Baer saying "Everyone here has declined to press charges except for one of our undercover agents" and in walks Carol in full Dolly garb

"Wow wow wow Lucy;

neither of us will do the film, Lucy. 

Gene Kelly wants a bigger name;

I'll do "Millie" and you will do "Mame"

And we'll never make another film again"

I'd love to see this shot in color.

iI'm still a bit pissed that Carol didn't have a cameo in that episode. They practically primed the whole thing for her to make an appearance.

tumblr_m1swo3jRnP1qh8whu.gif

• Like 2

Practicing for her banjo performance in the future "Here's Lucy" episode "Lucy Sells Craig to Wayne Newton"?, a clip which made it to the CBS Salutes Lucy segment touting her musical abilities despite the fact that she's dubbed in "Waiting for Robert E Lee" and is playing "air banjo".     Re: CBS Salutes: You can argue with the inclusion of the selected Danny Thomas and John Wayne segments (when LDCH and ILL would have been better) and that "Meets the Burtons" suffered in the truncated transfer, but the clips highlighting Lucy's musical ability (Sammy Davis: "Man, she could do it ALL!") were the poorest selections, especially when there were so many worthy ones to pick from.  Perhaps the rights were too high for "Steve Lawrence" and the recent "Shirley MacLaine Gypsy Special", certainly qualifying as "the real heavyweights" as Sammy put it (I think).  Red Skelton and Eddie Albert were not really known as song-and-dancers.   But that long "Main Street on the Map" dance she does with the chorus is lacklusterily (made up word) choreographed and doesn't show Lucy's impressive dancing skills to great advantage.

1883.JPG

98280.jpg

Interesting....I thought Viv really didn't smoke except when called for by the script, etc.  Kinda sad..... And I have to be honest, for some reason the older I get and the more touched I am by family/friends that have lost battles with cancer, it's harder and harder for me to see these old pictures of Lucy (primarily) and friends with cigarettes! *Sigh* ...and don't lecture me, I know it was a different time, blah blah blah, it still bothers me.  :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...