TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Feel free to chime into this thread as soon as you get your sets tomorrow!

I was wondering whether to use "first impressions" in the title of the thread as per tradition, but I'm confidentthat seeing these episodes pristine WILL be like seeing them for the first time.

Happy hunting!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel free to chime into this thread as soon as you get your sets tomorrow!

I was wondering whether to use "first impressions" in the title of the thread as per tradition, but I'm confidentthat seeing these episodes pristine WILL be like seeing them for the first time.

Happy hunting!

Hey, kids! Just back from the Paley event where Lucy in London was screened and although it's too late to give a detailed report at this hour, I just had to report in and let you know first hand that the documentary on LIL and the special itself is worth the cost of the set alone, you will sooooooo not be disappointed with these stellar bonus features!

Kudos to Tom Watson, Jonathan Angus, Dan Wingate, Rick Carl and all the others involved in making the inclusion of this special special and resultant documentary possible. Joe Bob says CHECK IT OUT!!! hlLOL.JPGhlLOL.JPGhlLOL.JPGhlLOL.JPG

Hey, kids! Just back from the Paley event where Lucy in London was screened and although it's too late to give a detailed report at this hour, I just had to report in and let you know first hand that the documentary on LIL and the special itself is worth the cost of the set alone, you will sooooooo not be disappointed with these stellar bonus features!

Kudos to Tom Watson, Jonathan Angus, Dan Wingate, Rick Carl and all the others involved in making the inclusion of this special special and resultant documentary possible. Joe Bob says CHECK IT OUT!!! hlLOL.JPGhlLOL.JPGhlLOL.JPGhlLOL.JPG

AHHHHHH! NYC drained my wallet so I have to wait....the next week and a half shall be torture, lol. Hope everyone who gets their set this week enjoys!

It's here!! :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING:

Ya know, if something other than Lucy's head flew out of the jack in the box -- maybe her face in another circle -- the opening wouldn't be half bad. And I love the souped up version on the beginning of the disks. Just started Lucy In London. "I can't get over how clear the picture is!" Now you can actually SEE the great Frank Thornton at the beginning instead of just hearing him. :HALKING:

You know, if I'd just gone down to Target yesterday and bought a copy...UPS is taking forever! It's on the truck it says, where the hell is it?!! Why am I always last on the list. Arggh! :lucyshock::lucymeh:

Brock, what do you mean by "Souped up version" on the beginning of the discs--what does it do before the menu?

I am really looking forward to seeing these episodes now that it's not a washed out, grainy, awful sounding low quality print. Also, is the Jack in the Box opening in black & white? I've seen it on Youtube, but in B&W.

Brock, what do you mean by "Souped up version" on the beginning of the discs--what does it do before the menu?

I am really looking forward to seeing these episodes now that it's not a washed out, grainy, awful sounding low quality print. Also, is the Jack in the Box opening in black & white? I've seen it on Youtube, but in B&W.

The Jack-in-the-Box opening is in living colour -- and by souped up, I mean they have made a groovier version of it for the "splash" as soon as you turn on the disks, as they have done for the previous seasons. Remember how much groovier the season two disk openings were compared to the actual Season 2 theme? Well, it's the same thing here!

The Jack-in-the-Box opening is in living colour -- and by souped up, I mean they have made a groovier version of it for the "splash" as soon as you turn on the disks, as they have done for the previous seasons. Remember how much groovier the season two disk openings were compared to the actual Season 2 theme? Well, it's the same thing here!

Brock now has the Jack in the Box opening showing in motion...

but here's a few grabs of what is being referred to as the 'souped up' opening as well as a menu sample.

Kudos to the brilliant Jonathan Angus for not only editing the LIL documentary, but making this wonderful opening

in addition to all the previous sets.

Along with the detailed mastermind, Tom Watson...these DVD extras are a fan's dream come true.

You have to realize that these sets could have easily gone the other route, where the decision could have been made to do

nothing but remaster the shows and put them out as is...with NO extras at all.

Thanks, guys, for your tenacity and hard work!!

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

I'm really surprised they used the Jack in a Box opening as the theme for the menu. I thought they'd just do the kalidescope theme like Season 4.

But I AM glad they kept the Season 3-4 typeface on the cover, especially because they reverted back to it for the rest of 5 and all of 6.

Wow . . . I am very surprised that it's in color! Didn't picture the background being orange. And now that it's in higher resolution, Lucy has such a weird face about her when she pops out. I wonder where it came from--maybe from an episode?

And I like her wig this season, as seen in the three balls.

You know, if I'd just gone down to Target yesterday and bought a copy...UPS is taking forever! It's on the truck it says, where the hell is it?!! Why am I always last on the list. Arggh! :lucyshock::lucymeh:

Well, dontchathin this is because of all the deliveries they have to do for Christmas and all those Thanksgiving sales and all? Releasing it at this time of year does have some drawbacks.

Wow . . . I am very surprised that it's in color! Didn't picture the background being orange. And now that it's in higher resolution, Lucy has such a weird face about her when she pops out. I wonder where it came from--maybe from an episode?

And I like her wig this season, as seen in the three balls.

I agree, she looks terrific in those.

Well, donychathin this is because of all the deliveries they have to do for Christmas and all those Thanksgiving sales and all? Releasing it at this time of year does have some drawbacks.

No, around here I'm just surprised they got it here yesterday like they were supposed to (1-day delivery). They're notorious for being late around here, anytime of the year. :peachonthebeach:

Watched LIL for the first time. Loved all the costumes, especially the Anne Boleyn (sp) one. She just looked so dang purty. :lucythrill:

Hey thanks for posting the screencaps of the behind the scenes! It looks like it was raining at one point and Lucille did not look too happy while sitting under the umbrella. The only thing I've really seen from this special is the music video by the Dave Clark 5. "It was LU-CY!"

And the picture quality looks SOOOOOO much better than the crap prints that we've been watching for these past several years.

With respect to "Lucy and Pat Collins," there is more missing that a "music cue."

During Pat's show at the club, more than a few seconds have been deleted that include no music. It's the part when she tells the people on stage they are watching the funniest movie they have ever seen. Now, the scene skips from Pat's explanation that during a past show a participant didn't laugh when suggested that he was watching the funniest movie he'd ever seen because he'd seen it before to Mr. Mooney's funny face in reaction to this same suggestion. Now, it's not clear that this group on stage has been given the same suggestion. This edit makes no sense!

The other edit I noticed was during the shot that established Lucy and Mr. Mooney at the club. All that's was missed was a few seconds of Lucy grooving to the now excised music cue. This edit doesn't really bother me so much. But the other one irks me because it interrupts the logic of the scene and there doesn’t seem to be any rights issue that would cause this part to be deleted.

Otherwise, a GREAT set!

Archived