TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sinking of the rubber raft was badly edited - who/how did it puncture?

It certainly was. The raft was punctured by the punt (? whatever the canoe is called). They should have caught that with a master shot rather than the obvious close up insert. There are stills of Lucy actually going into the water and swimming; this is discussed in detail in the documentary. You gotta wonder why this was not captured on film. A director like Binder would have known to get these shots. I'm thinking the shots were bad and nobody wanted to tell Lucy a retake was necessary or they didn't know until it was too late. I wanted to ask about this during the Q&A with Binder but I didn't want to come off as critical. It has been 45 years ago and he might not remember correctly. He mentioned that girls riding the bikes during the "Wonderful Day Like Today" (a wonderful sequence) was spontaneous. They just happened to be riding where they were filming so he included them. Which does not explain how they were on the pre-record soundtrack.

It certainly was. The raft was punctured by the punt (? whatever the canoe is called). They should have caught that with a master shot rather than the obvious close up insert. There are stills of Lucy actually going into the water and swimming; this is discussed in detail in the documentary. You gotta wonder why this was not captured on film. A director like Binder would have known to get these shots. I'm thinking the shots were bad and nobody wanted to tell Lucy a retake was necessary or they didn't know until it was too late. I wanted to ask about this during the Q&A with Binder but I didn't want to come off as critical. It has been 45 years ago and he might not remember correctly. He mentioned that girls riding the bikes during the "Wonderful Day Like Today" (a wonderful sequence) was spontaneous. They just happened to be riding where they were filming so he included them. Which does not explain how they were on the pre-record soundtrack.

I know nothing about these types of things but coudn't they have just played the pre recorded song and have them mouthing the words and not really singing at all?

Thanks to Santa Claus, I finally have TLS season 5 and WOWWWWIE!!! :HALKING: :HALKING: The special features are incredible and the restoration and picture quality - after all those years of public domain copies - is amazing! It's been a busy past couple of days so I really haven't had time to watch too much yet, but so far I've watched two s5 episodes and (I always dig into the bonus features first) the clip of Lucy at the 1967 Emmys, the bloopers (most I'd seen before on the best of HL set but always fun to see!), and the LIL documentary. LOVED that!!! I can't wait to watch LIL tomorrow. Yippee!!! :HALKING:

Thanks to Santa Claus, I finally have TLS season 5 and WOWWWWIE!!! :HALKING: :HALKING: The special features are incredible and the restoration and picture quality - after all those years of public domain copies - is amazing! It's been a busy past couple of days so I really haven't had time to watch too much yet, but so far I've watched two s5 episodes and (I always dig into the bonus features first) the clip of Lucy at the 1967 Emmys, the bloopers (most I'd seen before on the best of HL set but always fun to see!), and the LIL documentary. LOVED that!!! I can't wait to watch LIL tomorrow. Yippee!!! :HALKING:

Oh they included the Emmy clip? That's great, boy, was she surprised!

And the "Bloopers" included that documented sequence of the baby elephant pushing Mary Wickes. Kinda gasped at that bit when I saw it

Probably was scary at the time, but they made it sound like she was nearly trampled to death in that Fidelman book. First time I saw that particular blooper.

Guess Who Owes Lucy $23.50?, guest-starring a person painted to resemble Van Johnson.

Also in the bloopers, there are a couple where Lucy goes HI to the camera but her voice cracks. Those are definitely from "The Lucy Show" because of the apartment. And what's the one in the restaurant (Here's Lucy) where she is at the maitre 'd counter with this guy and she's like "I'm having a hell of a time tonight" after flubbing her lines.

Also in the bloopers, there are a couple where Lucy goes HI to the camera but her voice cracks. Those are definitely from "The Lucy Show" because of the apartment. And what's the one in the restaurant (Here's Lucy) where she is at the maitre 'd counter with this guy and she's like "I'm having a hell of a time tonight" after flubbing her lines.

Wasn't that with that Ralph Story guy at the bank since she calls him "Mr. Story" and then said, "I'm having a helluva time tonight, ain't I, Ralph?" I think that's a Lucy Show episode, probably the 6th season.

Also if you read her lips after she says that, I think she says something like, "Can you believe this shit?" I love that blooper. LOL

Guess Who Owes Lucy $23.50?, guest-starring a person painted to resemble Van Johnson.

It's so TRUE! As long as they were doing so much painting, they should have painted fake eyes that were looking at the other performers leaving his real eyes free to stare directly at the cue cards. Off all the cue card readers on TLS/HL he is the most surprising. Despite his success in "His Hers and Somebody Else's" he wasn't exactly in huge demand so he should have had time to have more than a passing acquaintance with his lines. The other big offenders at least have some excuse: Hope in LBCH (no time), Ed Begley (age?), Sid Caesar (during his period of alcohol abuse) and Lawrence Welk (not really an actor). Are there blatant readers I'm leaving out?

It's so TRUE! As long as they were doing so much painting, they should have painted fake eyes that were looking at the other performers leaving his real eyes free to stare directly at the cue cards. Off all the cue card readers on TLS/HL he is the most surprising. Despite his success in "His Hers and Somebody Else's" he wasn't exactly in huge demand so he should have had time to have more than a passing acquaintance with his lines. The other big offenders at least have some excuse: Hope in LBCH (no time), Ed Begley (age?), Sid Caesar (during his period of alcohol abuse) and Lawrence Welk (not really an actor). Are there blatant readers I'm leaving out?

I dunno about others but none of this ever bothered me, i mean the only one i found truly offensive was Lawrence Welk, man, what a lousy actor! He didn't even know the basics.

I dunno about others but none of this ever bothered me, i mean the only one i found truly offensive was Lawrence Welk, man, what a lousy actor! He didn't even know the basics.

Lucille told a great story about the Lawrence Welk appearance when she did a Q&A at the Paley Center (then called the Museum of Broadcasting) in New York in the mid-1980s. She said Welk KNEW his lines, but because he was accustomed, as a bandleader, to always addressing the audience, neither Lucy or the director could get Welk to say his lines to the other performers. They worked with him and worked with him in rehearsals, and they thought he understood, but as soon as the audience filed in and the show began, Welk turned each time and spoke his lines directly to the 350 people sitting in front of him in the bleachers! Old habits die hard!

Lucille told a great story about the Lawrence Welk appearance when she did a Q&A at the Paley Center (then called the Museum of Broadcasting) in New York in the mid-1980s. She said Welk KNEW his lines, but because he was accustomed, as a bandleader, to always addressing the audience, neither Lucy or the director could get Welk to say his lines to the other performers. They worked with him and worked with him in rehearsals, and they thought he understood, but as soon as the audience filed in and the show began, Welk turned each time and spoke his lines directly to the 350 people sitting in front of him in the bleachers! Old habits die hard!

Welk was a putz anyway according to my Great-Aunt Iris. Not very bright. LOL

So tell us. What was Aunt Iris's connection with Welk and what putz-y things did he do?

I don't know, she's long dead so I can't ask her. But the family folklore is that they had dated briefly back before he was famous. She couldn't understand his accent for one thing and some of the things he did made her wonder if he was 'all there.' He probably cheated on her. He looked like a wild ladies' man, no? :peachonthebeach:

LOL! Funny story, LOL! I shouldn't have said it offended me, i meant it bothered me but then again, I knew how much she liked him and he gave a great show so to get someone so popular with her audience meant the world to her and it WAS a GREAT show also, in spite of his delivery, i liked his enthuseasm though, LOL!

Archived