TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

LOL i think it added mystery and allure to her already fabulously looking face. While i do love watching Lucy in color, i absolutely despise the style of makeup she had throughout the TLS. :lucydisgust:

BUT, YOU SAID IT, THAT STYLE WAS THE IN THING BACK THEN SWEETIE. I gotta say the ONLY thing i was never fond of were those fake eyelashes that she wore at the end of her life that had five humongous lashes, looks like a small fan on her each eye, LOL! She wore them at the book signing for Betty White in the late eighties.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had to wear that gaudy stage makeup back then so it would show up better on TV. I think that's what Candy Moore said once. Lucy didn't wear all that heavy stuff outside of the show I don't think. I always have to laugh when I see her wear that electric blue eyeshadow with the green silky shirt. :peachonthebeach:

They had to wear that gaudy stage makeup back then so it would show up better on TV. I think that's what Candy Moore said once. Lucy didn't wear all that heavy stuff outside of the show I don't think. I always have to laugh when I see her wear that electric blue eyeshadow with the green silky shirt. :peachonthebeach:

Yes, they looked like the CBS geisha girls, LOL!

Maury Thompson hated the Pat Collins episode. He thought it wasn't part of the natural flow to have Lucy and Gale act hypnotized. Everyone knew they were acting, it was just an excuse to for them to do shtick (though good shtick). I do see his point, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Plus the opening scene is a gem.

Maury Thompson hated the Pat Collins episode. He thought it wasn't part of the natural flow to have Lucy and Gale act hypnotized. Everyone knew they were acting, it was just an excuse to for them to do shtick (though good shtick). I do see his point, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Plus the opening scene is a gem.

OMG, natural flow to have them hypnotized, what moron thompson knows about comedy and the series could fill a one page pamphlet, in huge one inch type letters.

"Pat Collins" Another lazily written Milt-Ray script, the pay-off scene anyway. It's actually excellent up until they go to the commercial break after the hypnotism starts. Even though the fur salon scene is just filler and has nothing to do with the plot, it's very satisfying, aided to a great degree by the Hepburn-voiced proprietor. The set-up in the night club is promising but then they just let Pat do her act. Even if they had just followed the predictable premise of Lucy or Mooney being accidentally hypnotized and acting out later in a different setting it would have been preferable to the last scene because the anticipation is there for something good, but it's such a let-down. The youtube of Pat's act is virtually the same (excluding Potty-Mouth Pat's boob-obsession)...and about as believable as The Lucy Show's version. Speaking of Pat's youtube "20th Anniversary" show, the audience seems to be buying it. Has anyone here ever been hynotized?

I'm not wild about "Bean Queen". But at least there was one of the FEW attempts at continuity: One-date Carmichael mentions one of her old short-term beaus, Frank Winslow (who to his credit stuck it out for two episodes)from the previous season.

Mary Jane and Lucy supervise the emptying of Lucy's apartment. Then Lucy goes to her big score with (cue-card dependent) Ed Begley. When she returns, Mary Jane has been sitting in this empty apartment staring into space this whole time as if she's got NOTHING better to do. And since MJ did 1/2 the work in this bean-returning scheme, shouldn't she get 1/2 the money? Or at least, like Ethel, Lucy's old furniture?

Veteran writer Phil Leslie in this, his only "Lucy" submission, merely dusted off a 20 year old "Fibber McGee and Molly" script he wrote for radio in which Fibber does the same thing and has the same moral revelation at the end. The product is even the same: beans. Don't remember if it was Bailey's or not.

Perhaps Milt was ahead of his time. Ecologically minded, he appealed to old radio writers to recycle their old scripts. Joke-oriented Milt just didn't understand what made Lucy comedy work.

(Please note: I have written my thoughts on these episodes in an email to someone but don't think I posted it here. However, not sure. With a snivelly reputation rating of FIFTY-EIGHT, I can't afford to take ANY chances... :lucythrill: )

"Pat Collins" Another lazily written Milt-Ray script, the pay-off scene anyway. It's actually excellent up until they go to the commercial break after the hypnotism starts. Even though the fur salon scene is just filler and has nothing to do with the plot, it's very satisfying, aided to a great degree by the Hepburn-voiced proprietor. The set-up in the night club is promising but then they just let Pat do her act. Even if they had just followed the predictable premise of Lucy or Mooney being accidentally hypnotized and acting out later in a different setting it would have been preferable to the last scene because the anticipation is there for something good, but it's such a let-down. The youtube of Pat's act is virtually the same (excluding Potty-Mouth Pat's boob-obsession)...and about as believable as The Lucy Show's version. Speaking of Pat's youtube "20th Anniversary" show, the audience seems to be buying it. Has anyone here ever been hynotized?

I'm not wild about "Bean Queen". But at least there was one of the FEW attempts at continuity: One-date Carmichael mentions one of her old short-term beaus, Frank Winslow (who to his credit stuck it out for two episodes)from the previous season.

Mary Jane and Lucy supervise the emptying of Lucy's apartment. Then Lucy goes to her big score with (cue-card dependent) Ed Begley. When she returns, Mary Jane has been sitting in this empty apartment staring into space this whole time as if she's got NOTHING better to do. And since MJ did 1/2 the work in this bean-returning scheme, shouldn't she get 1/2 the money? Or at least, like Ethel, Lucy's old furniture?

Veteran writer Phil Leslie in this, his only "Lucy" submission, merely dusted off a 20 year old "Fibber McGee and Molly" script he wrote for radio in which Fibber does the same thing and has the same moral revelation at the end. The product is even the same: beans. Don't remember if it was Bailey's or not.

Perhaps Milt was ahead of his time. Ecologically minded, he appealed to old radio writers to recycle their old scripts. Joke-oriented Milt just didn't understand what made Lucy comedy work.

(Please note: I have written my thoughts on these episodes in an email to someone but don't think I posted it here. However, not sure. With a snivelly reputation rating of FIFTY-EIGHT, I can't afford to take ANY chances... :lucythrill: )

Now THAT was worth another point kiddo, i especially loved your recycling of scripts Milt reference, LOL! Do 200 more of these posts and you'll beat me easily.

And here's a piece of 'trivial' trivia. Lucy would use any break she had during the rehearsal week of the George Burns episode to master driving the fork lift that she had to do in the episode to be filmed the next week: "Bean Queen".

The article was mostly about George Burns. He marveled at Lucy's dedication. I wonder how he felt about "The Lucy Show" in 1964 when his "Wendy and Me" was scheduled opposite it on ABC and lasted only a season. I'm loving "Burns and Allen" on Antenna TV but there is only one Gracie and I think George tried to make Connie Stevens into one. Lucy does a pretty good Gracie during their routine, but she's treading on turf that Gracie OWNED.

And here's a piece of 'trivial' trivia. Lucy would use any break she had during the rehearsal week of the George Burns episode to master driving the fork lift that she had to do in the episode to be filmed the next week: "Bean Queen".

The article was mostly about George Burns. He marveled at Lucy's dedication. I wonder how he felt about "The Lucy Show" in 1964 when his "Wendy and Me" was scheduled opposite it on ABC and lasted only a season. I'm loving "Burns and Allen" on Antenna TV but there is only one Gracie and I think George tried to make Connie Stevens into one. Lucy does a pretty good Gracie during their routine, but she's treading on turf that Gracie OWNED.

I disagree, the DUMB bunny on TV has been a fixture since Gracie, Cara Williams, all the way to Edith Bunker and Phoebie on Friends and even MALE ones like Joey on Friends, but Lucy sure came close sometimes. Although Lucy was mostly ECCENTRIC rather than dumb most of the time.

I disagree, the DUMB bunny on TV has been a fixture since Gracie, Cara Williams, all the way to Edith Bunker and Phoebie on Friends and even MALE ones like Joey on Friends, but Lucy sure came close sometimes. Although Lucy was mostly ECCENTRIC rather than dumb most of the time.

Since she was always perfecting using the props and everything, when "Kiddie Parties" was being taped, did she practice using the helium balloon tank all week?

Why oh why aren't the filmed Burns and Allens out on DVD. Doesn't CBS own them now (George made a fortune when he sold his share of the series to CBS)

Why oh why aren't the filmed Burns and Allens out on DVD. Doesn't CBS own them now (George made a fortune when he sold his share of the series to CBS)

No, I think Sony does (which is why they're on AntennaTV.) Back when they were Columbia, they released a couple of VHS tapes, but Sony doesn't seem to know what to do with their older product.

... Sony doesn't seem to know what to do with their older product.

Sure they do! Release a first season with much fanfare and promotion and if it fails to sell like Seinfeld, pull it from their future DVD release roster, wait two or three years and then, with any luck -- a la Hazel, Mad About You, etc. etc.-- Shout! or some other real DVD company may come along and release the rest of that series!

lucythrill.JPG

Sure they do! Release a first season with much fanfare and promotion and if it fails to sell like Seinfeld, pull it from their future DVD release roster, wait two or three years and then, with any luck -- a la Hazel, Mad About You, etc. etc.-- Shout! or some other real DVD company may come along and release the rest of that series!

lucythrill.JPG

Ooooooooooooooo, so well said and so friggin TRUE! Thank God for companies like SHOUT!

Spending Christmas Day watching s5 set.

So far, much better than s4.

Watching LUCY IN LONDON as I type this. Why does the opening sequence just have soundtrack and still photos? Why not actual filmed footage? And I notice the sound is slightly out of sync in the early sequence.

Nice special, i miss the Lucy Show theme which should have been included somewhere along the way.

Spending Christmas Day watching s5 set.

So far, much better than s4.

Watching LUCY IN LONDON as I type this. Why does the opening sequence just have soundtrack and still photos? Why not actual filmed footage? And I notice the sound is slightly out of sync in the early sequence.

Nice special, i miss the Lucy Show theme which should have been included somewhere along the way.

That's the way it was when shown.

That's the way it was when shown.

Currently watching Lucy in London and loving it! Especially the Dave Clark Five music video with the carousel intercut during the ballad part. I love how they had original sponsors at the beginning and "our regularly scheduled programming will not be seen tonight" and original commercials! The documentary was great too. Regarding the Wax Museum scenes, I would not have been too keen on shooting all through the night going 2 days without sleep. And it's just like Lucy wanting it to be real, not in a swimming pool, regarding the Thames River scene. On to the second half! When Lucy ran out of the museum I love how they sped up the camera.

Archived