TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Pretty much in agreement with you on your assessments and season order, except I think 3 is still perhaps the weakest (to me) and one of the more inconsistent in quality (like S4) due to the loss of the "3 Bobs and a babe" veteran writers Carroll, Jr., Martin, Schiller & Weiskopf, replaced by "lesser" untried talent as well as "newer" vets like Garry Marshall & Jerry Belson, with understandably mixed results. I enjoyed, however, the Ann Southern appearances -- especially the one where Viv was there too -- and think she would have been about the only viable "replacement" for Miss Vance, and wouldn't have minded her appearing more.

My order would probably go like this:

Season 1 - HANDS DOWN, the most consistent, funniest most I Love Lucy-like season due mainly to the superior scripts and the wundaful support from Viv, and with his Fred Mertz-like lines, Jimmy Garrett as young Jerry Carmichael.

Season 2 - With original ILL writers still on board but occasionally assisted by "outside" writers, episodes & writing varied more in quality but still a stellar season with longtime cohort Vance and the fun-to-watch "experimentation" as they transitioned to filming in color (that blue eye shadow! That purple couch!) for the first time.

Season 5 - The transition period is over and it has become a different show (how Doris Day!) and while I prefer Lucy with sidekick Viv -- who, thankfully, makes her first return visit this season in one of the best eps -- this season shines with perhaps some of the funniest eps of this format, if not of the series ("Substitute Secretary" chiefly comes to mind) as well as some of the biggest and most fun production number "Let's put on a show!" shows, chief among them "Main Street - Part One". Despite the presence of a few "duds" (e.g. Tennessee Ernie Ford ep, "Fight Manager" (Don Rickles), "Babysitter"), overall this season's eps soar.

Season 6 - Nearly as good as Season 5 but IMHO has a few more duds, which of course lowers it in ranking. Still, some best eps like "Lost Star (Joan Crawford)", "French Movie Star", "Trapped" and "Meets the Berles" help a lot!

Season 3 - See above.

Season 4 - Despite some good episodes, perhaps the series weakest season as it transitioned formats to "single gal Lucy loose in Hollywood." As mentioned and I couldn't agree more, Viv was sorely missed, Joan Blondell was fine but definitely not a "good fit" and this season probably had more "clinkers" ("Superwoman"; "Rain Goddess" stick out) than classics ("Dean Martin", "Danny Thomas" and the Clint Walker eps). Of course, one of the smartest, best things they did was make character Carmichael full-time secretary to Gale's Mooney -- why she was ever "part time" I never quite understood.

Ann's agent called, wanted to tell the both of you that it's S O T H E R N ! She was nowhere near the south.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much in agreement with you on your assessments and season order, except I think 3 is still perhaps the weakest (to me) and one of the more inconsistent in quality (like S4) due to the loss of the "3 Bobs and a babe" veteran writers Carroll, Jr., Martin, Schiller & Weiskopf, replaced by "lesser" untried talent as well as "newer" vets like Garry Marshall & Jerry Belson, with understandably mixed results. I enjoyed, however, the Ann Southern appearances -- especially the one where Viv was there too -- and think she would have been about the only viable "replacement" for Miss Vance, and wouldn't have minded her appearing more.

My order would probably go like this:

Season 1 - HANDS DOWN, the most consistent, funniest most I Love Lucy-like season due mainly to the superior scripts and the wundaful support from Viv, and with his Fred Mertz-like lines, Jimmy Garrett as young Jerry Carmichael.

Season 2 - With original ILL writers still on board but occasionally assisted by "outside" writers, episodes & writing varied more in quality but still a stellar season with longtime cohort Vance and the fun-to-watch "experimentation" as they transitioned to filming in color (that blue eye shadow! That purple couch!) for the first time.

Season 5 - The transition period is over and it has become a different show (how Doris Day!) and while I prefer Lucy with sidekick Viv -- who, thankfully, makes her first return visit this season in one of the best eps -- this season shines with perhaps some of the funniest eps of this format, if not of the series ("Substitute Secretary" chiefly comes to mind) as well as some of the biggest and most fun production number "Let's put on a show!" shows, chief among them "Main Street - Part One". Despite the presence of a few "duds" (e.g. Tennessee Ernie Ford ep, "Fight Manager" (Don Rickles), "Babysitter"), overall this season's eps soar.

Season 6 - Nearly as good as Season 5 but IMHO has a few more duds, which of course lowers it in ranking. Still, some best eps like "Lost Star (Joan Crawford)", "French Movie Star", "Trapped" and "Meets the Berles" help a lot!

Season 3 - See above.

Season 4 - Despite some good episodes, perhaps the series weakest season as it transitioned formats to "single gal Lucy loose in Hollywood." As mentioned and I couldn't agree more, Viv was sorely missed, Joan Blondell was fine but definitely not a "good fit" and this season probably had more "clinkers" ("Superwoman"; "Rain Goddess" stick out) than classics ("Dean Martin", "Danny Thomas" and the Clint Walker eps). Of course, one of the smartest, best things they did was make character Carmichael full-time secretary to Gale's Mooney -- why she was ever "part time" I never quite understood.

Great overview! Your information on the main writers being occasionally assisted for season two, really put things in to perspective for me. I definitely need to go back and watch that season, again.

After reading your assessments for season 3 and 4, i realize that those two are pretty neck and neck. I don't prefer one over the other. Although, Season 4, to me, has the weakest bonus features out of all the sets released thus far. So i guess, i place season 3 above it :lucythrill:

Also glad to hear that season 6 is almost up to par with season 5. Looking forward to seeing the Joan Crawford episode in pristine condition.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hopping around the set (who knows why) and I have to say, these episodes...wow! I watched these on crappy public domain discs over and over when I was 12-16ish and haven't seen them since. Not only do they look GLORIOUS but they really take me back (haha!). Perhaps only because of it's weird sentimental value, this is my favorite season. And seeing Lucy win her Emmy makes me cry over and over.

• 1 month later...

I'm hopping around the set (who knows why) and I have to say, these episodes...wow! I watched these on crappy public domain discs over and over when I was 12-16ish and haven't seen them since. Not only do they look GLORIOUS but they really take me back (haha!). Perhaps only because of it's weird sentimental value, this is my favorite season. And seeing Lucy win her Emmy makes me cry over and over.

Awww...that's sweet! peachonthebeach.JPG

Yeah, did it for me too, it had been so damn long!

• 1 year later...

So I'm a bit behind, and forgive me if this has been discussed before. I just watched the extra on this set of The Victor Borge Comedy Theatre. For years I've been very confused about the Lucy Flies to London episode. I remember seeing the scenario of this episode play out in black and white back in the 90s. But I could never figure out how this could be considering I didn't have a black and white set in the 90s and the TLS episode is obviously in color. Now that I've watched this extra it seems that this may have been what I saw back then. But what could I have been watching? It seems unlikely that this short clip would have aired as part of any television broadcast in the 90s. Does anyone have a guess?

So I'm a bit behind, and forgive me if this has been discussed before. I just watched the extra on this set of The Victor Borge Comedy Theatre. For years I've been very confused about the Lucy Flies to London episode. I remember seeing the scenario of this episode play out in black and white back in the 90s. But I could never figure out how this could be considering I didn't have a black and white set in the 90s and the TLS episode is obviously in color. Now that I've watched this extra it seems that this may have been what I saw back then. But what could I have been watching? It seems unlikely that this sh

ort clip would have aired as part of any television broadcast in the 90s. Does anyone have a guess?

It was in a compilation tape like Laugh Along With Lucy or Lucy's Lost Episodes... Just various clips including the one you saw....I don't believe it was broadcast back then. Hope that helps you remember :)

It was in a compilation tape like Laugh Along With Lucy or Lucy's Lost Episodes... Just various clips including the one you saw....I don't believe it was broadcast back then. Hope that helps you remember :)

Ahh, that must be it! Now that I think about it, I did have an unauthorized Lucy VHS back then. It must've been on there. Thanks for jogging my memory! :)

Okay, the whole jack in the box thing is creepy. But other than that I love that opening. It's perfect for the comedy aspect of it. I'm sure I'm the only one here that will say that.

No I not only get it, but agree, it does suit the show, it's just after we're so used to the so-well-done and charming openings like the kaleidoscope especially, where it shows off her comedic moments and ends on a glamour shot, the disembodied head is not very ....flattering!  :lucywow:

No I not only get it, but agree, it does suit the show, it's just after we're so used to the so-well-done and charming openings like the kaleidoscope especially, where it shows off her comedic moments and ends on a glamour shot, the disembodied head is not very ....flattering! :lucywow:

All I can say is that it is one of my favorite openings/ if not my favorite from The Lucy Show!

Archived