TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

I don't know, she's long dead so I can't ask her. But the family folklore is that they had dated briefly back before he was famous. She couldn't understand his accent for one thing and some of the things he did made her wonder if he was 'all there.' He probably cheated on her. He looked like a wild ladies' man, no? :peachonthebeach:

The only thing i remember is that he was a tough boss on his show and was somewhat frugal, from the stories about him in MY day. But my parents watched his show their whole lives, even afterward in those eternal reruns.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course i have it, it's on that Merv Griffin show tribute with her family and Hope and Gale. I meant that it was finally out there for EVERYBODY to see. I hope the next set has her winning the following year with Sinatra presenting.

No silly I had reference to the latest and greatest TLS DVD release! You don't know what you're missing! :D

No silly I had reference to the latest and greatest TLS DVD release! You don't know what you're missing! :D

OMG, do you ever read these posts? I have said repeatedly that my Christmas present from Bogs is 400 miles away and he's around HERE so the timeline for me to finally get it as a gift is next weekend or later.

OMG, do you ever read these posts? I have said repeatedly that my Christmas present from Bogs is 400 miles away and he's around HERE so the timeline for me to finally get it as a gift is next weekend or later.

:lucy1: Sure I wanted him to forget my Christmas present...but HE FORGOT MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT!!! :( :(

As my mom always used to say to my sister and me when we were little, he's giving you the "gift of anticipation"! Seriously, though, I hope you are able to get this set soon!!

I wonder if the clip included in the special features of the 5th season release still has that glitch in it or has it been restored perfectly, the one shown on Griffin's show is exactly like MY copy.

It still has a little glitch in it. Not as bad as the print on Merv's show though. But the overall quality is great and it's so fun to be able to watch it so clearly on the big TV screen!

:lucy1: Sure I wanted him to forget my Christmas present...but HE FORGOT MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT!!! :( :(

As my mom always used to say to my sister and me when we were little, he's giving you the "gift of anticipation"! Seriously, though, I hope you are able to get this set soon!!

It was delivered to his hotel in Toronto but he had been sent to Quebec City to work on servers for the past three weeks so he has to go back there to get it for me, he asked someone to pick it up and bring it and they could not find it there. Just my luck, i was furious and told him i'm ordering the 5th season of HL myself and having it delievered HERE to my apartment!

It still has a little glitch in it. Not as bad as the print on Merv's show though. But the overall quality is great and it's so fun to be able to watch it so clearly on the big TV screen!

Well, that's what i don't understand, the Academy itself sent the clip to Merv for his show and their copy has a glitch in it??? Must be one of those on air glitches that sometimes happens on award shows.

I think the absence of Viv in season 4 hurt that season for me = I enjoyed s5 far better than s4. Lucy's referral to her son as Jimmy was very noticable, can't imagine why she didn't listen to anyone about his name.

Because she was stubborn? I don't know, no one wanted to correct her for some reason.

Well, those are the two seasons where she got Emmy awards so they had to have some good in them. :lucy2::lucy2:

I agree. BUT season six could have been better.

My preferences for The Lucy Show

Season 2

Season 1

Season 3

Season 5

Season 6

Season 4

These are my preferences too!

And MINE are 4 5 and 6 followed by 1 2 and 3, LOL!

Well ... didn't you view season 1 as the best season at some point?

Nah, not really, was lying to be in with the IN crowd here, LOL! You know, Desi produced the first ones, but when i looked back, yes, there are some classic ones in there, but black and white and not that funny for most of them, but i did give it my BEST OF A F T E R 4 5 and 6 of course where Lucy was doing everything on her own, no kids, funnier situations, Queen of comedy and all that, LOL! BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST ME! I was too young when she was the Queen of Television with I Love Lucy, so i went nuts when she was again the Queen of Comedy with these later seasons of The Lucy Show.

I agree. BUT season six could have been better.

These are my preferences too!

Harrison, i like you and your comments so please remember that i'm mostly just joshing with these comments about which season was the best, as long as it was The Lucy Show and her madcap adventures i was a happy camper whichever season it was. It's just that i became her biggest fan with those years '62 to '68, devoured anythig about her, nearly died of happiness when she got two more Emmys and was in the news every second day, she was on every show, DESILU STUDIOS and all the other things that made up her life back then, even gary, LOL!

Based on what i have viewed(Since i have yet to see season 6):

Best to Worst:

Season 1 - HANDS DOWN, The most constant season. It's the only season where the Cast felt Like an Ensemble.

Season 2 - Could have Topped Season one, if it weren't for the reduction of the screen time the kids got. ESPECIALLY CANDY MOORE, MY GOSH!! I barely remember seeing her in the third season.

Season 5 - The Transition period is over and The Lucy Show Has become a different show. This season could have been neck and neck with season 2, but it features some major DUDS.

Season 3 - Spotty, but good season. Needed More Viv, as Ann Southern got tiring after a while.

Season 4 - The Series low point. Viv was SORELY missed and you could tell the writers were struggling, due to the format change.

Pretty much in agreement with you on your assessments and season order, except I think 3 is still perhaps the weakest (to me) and one of the more inconsistent in quality (like S4) due to the loss of the "3 Bobs and a babe" veteran writers Carroll, Jr., Martin, Schiller & Weiskopf, replaced by "lesser" untried talent as well as "newer" vets like Garry Marshall & Jerry Belson, with understandably mixed results. I enjoyed, however, the Ann Southern appearances -- especially the one where Viv was there too -- and think she would have been about the only viable "replacement" for Miss Vance, and wouldn't have minded her appearing more.

My order would probably go like this:

Season 1 - HANDS DOWN, the most consistent, funniest most I Love Lucy-like season due mainly to the superior scripts and the wundaful support from Viv, and with his Fred Mertz-like lines, Jimmy Garrett as young Jerry Carmichael.

Season 2 - With original ILL writers still on board but occasionally assisted by "outside" writers, episodes & writing varied more in quality but still a stellar season with longtime cohort Vance and the fun-to-watch "experimentation" as they transitioned to filming in color (that blue eye shadow! That purple couch!) for the first time.

Season 5 - The transition period is over and it has become a different show (how Doris Day!) and while I prefer Lucy with sidekick Viv -- who, thankfully, makes her first return visit this season in one of the best eps -- this season shines with perhaps some of the funniest eps of this format, if not of the series ("Substitute Secretary" chiefly comes to mind) as well as some of the biggest and most fun production number "Let's put on a show!" shows, chief among them "Main Street - Part One". Despite the presence of a few "duds" (e.g. Tennessee Ernie Ford ep, "Fight Manager" (Don Rickles), "Babysitter"), overall this season's eps soar.

Season 6 - Nearly as good as Season 5 but IMHO has a few more duds, which of course lowers it in ranking. Still, some best eps like "Lost Star (Joan Crawford)", "French Movie Star", "Trapped" and "Meets the Berles" help a lot!

Season 3 - See above.

Season 4 - Despite some good episodes, perhaps the series weakest season as it transitioned formats to "single gal Lucy loose in Hollywood." As mentioned and I couldn't agree more, Viv was sorely missed, Joan Blondell was fine but definitely not a "good fit" and this season probably had more "clinkers" ("Superwoman"; "Rain Goddess" stick out) than classics ("Dean Martin", "Danny Thomas" and the Clint Walker eps). Of course, one of the smartest, best things they did was make character Carmichael full-time secretary to Gale's Mooney -- why she was ever "part time" I never quite understood.

Archived