UPDATED: "I Love Lucy" named Best TV Show of All Time!

HarryCarter

ABC is conducting a poll for the Best in TV for a special they are doing in September. I Love Lucy is a nominee in two categories: Best Comedy and Best TV Show of All Time. VOTE FOR LUCY!

It's a debate that's raged for decades. What's the best show of all time? What about the best TV dad? Or theme song? The list goes on and on. Now, in an upcoming two-hour special hosted by Barbara Walters, we will answer those questions and more. The primetime special, set to air in September on ABC, will feature the results of a national poll as voted on by you. Our list of nominees was created after a focus group of several dozen of the industry's leading actors, directors, producers and TV journalists narrowed the field in a preliminary ballot from hundreds of popular shows old and new. That panel of all-star voters included editors from People, and Emmy winners and luminaries like Norman Lear, James L. Brooks, Stephen Bochco, Shonda Rhimes, Chuck Lorre, Tim Allen, Ryan Seacrest , Valerie Harper, and Eric Stonestreet. (For a list of the all-star preliminary vote panelists, click here.) Now it's time to for you to pick your favorites, share with your friends and help decide what is truly the Best in TV.

BEST IN TELEVISION

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ABC is conducting a poll for the Best in TV for a special they are doing in September. I Love Lucy is a nominee in two categories: Best Comedy and Best TV Show of All Time. VOTE FOR LUCY!

BEST IN TELEVISION

Pretty cool, most categories well covered however they should have allowed write-in votes since my all-time favorite TV mom (Shirley Jones as Shirley Partridge) was not on the list, and IMHO certainly should have been! Sacrilege! lucyhorror.JPG

I voted for Laura too. I was surprised she was one of the choices for Best TV Mom, but Dick Van Dyke's Rob wasn't one of the Best Dads.

I was pleasantly surprised that What's My Line? made the gameshow cut but Match Game didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

The special will be filming some of the Jamestown festivities!

The city of Jamestown will once again receive positive national attention later this year, thanks to Lucille Ball. The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy says the ABC News program “20/20” will be sending producers to cover the Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy on August 3-4. The coverage will be part of a Barbara Walters 2-hour special, “The Best in TV—The Greatest Shows of Our Time.

ABC News 20/20 and People Magazine are currently running a poll on www.bestintelevision.com, where I Love Lucy is a strong contender to win two awards, Best Television Comedy of All Time and Best Television Show of All Time. Nearly a million people have voted already, and the online poll will take place until the end of the month.

The 2-hour Barbara Walters special, which will run later in the summer, will feature Jamestown’s annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, the Lucy World Games on Tracy Plaza, and footage from both museum attractions.

The Lucille Ball Comedy Festival runs August 1st-5th and features performances by Paula Poundstone, Lucie Arnaz, Tammy Pescatelli, Tony Deyo, Story Pirates, Billy Gardell from CBS’s Mike & Molly and much more. More information, including tickets for all Lucy related events, is available at LucyComedyFest.com.

My link

Is it too late to vote? I could not find any reference on the link.

So what was up for best comedy? Wasn't Lucy nominated for anything else?

These things are usually weighted with the most recent shows. "Seinfeld" won over ILL on a similar poll not too long after it went off the air. There was a time when the top contender would have been "Roseanne" "Cheers" "All in the Family" "MASH" "Mary Tyler Moore" "Dick Van Dyke" "Phil Silvers" and "The Tammy Grimes Show". (ok just kidding about the last one).

Some of the greats are left out solely because they haven't been shown in a while. "Honeymooners" is usually the only other 50s show to get a mention, but I would nominate "Burns and Allen", a show I watch every night on Antenna TV. I had no idea it was so cleverly written and that Gracie was so good. George too AND the GREAT Larry Keating.

Is it too late to vote? I could not find any reference on the link.

So what was up for best comedy? Wasn't Lucy nominated for anything else?

These things are usually weighted with the most recent shows. "Seinfeld" won over ILL on a similar poll not too long after it went off the air. There was a time when the top contender would have been "Roseanne" "Cheers" "All in the Family" "MASH" "Mary Tyler Moore" "Dick Van Dyke" "Phil Silvers" and "The Tammy Grimes Show". (ok just kidding about the last one).

Some of the greats are left out solely because they haven't been shown in a while. "Honeymooners" is usually the only other 50s show to get a mention, but I would nominate "Burns and Allen", a show I watch every night on Antenna TV. I had no idea it was so cleverly written and that Gracie was so good. George too AND the GREAT Larry Keating.

Voting has ended. I Love Lucy was up for "Best Comedy" and "Best TV Show of All Time." It was actually a good mix of classic and more recent programs. The nominees for Best Comedy were “All in the Family,” “Cheers,” “I Love Lucy,” “Seinfeld,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” “M*A*S*H,” “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “The Cosby Show,” “The Honeymooners” and "The Simpsons." I think The Simpsons should have been disqualified becasue it was also nominated for Best Animated Program. The "Best TV Show of All Time" was mostly comedies.

• 4 weeks later...

Voting has ended. I Love Lucy was up for "Best Comedy" and "Best TV Show of All Time." It was actually a good mix of classic and more recent programs. The nominees for Best Comedy were “All in the Family,” “Cheers,” “I Love Lucy,” “Seinfeld,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” “M*A*S*H,” “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “The Cosby Show,” “The Honeymooners” and "The Simpsons." I think The Simpsons should have been disqualified becasue it was also nominated for Best Animated Program. The "Best TV Show of All Time" was mostly comedies.

Crud, I didn't see this and was too late to vote. Hope Lucy wins.

There wasn't a category for Best Comedienne? That's odd.

I would have voted June Lockhart favorite tv mom but she probably wasn't on the list.

Would love to see a thread though on the categories (and other categories that should have been there) and have everybody mention their choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's information about the special including the great interviewees.

ABC NEWS AND PEOPLE MAGAZINE PRESENT:

“BEST IN TV: THE GREATEST TV SHOWS OF OUR TIME WITH BY BARBARA WALTERS,”

A SPECIAL EDITION OF “20/20”

Television Fans Submit More Than a Million Votes in an Unprecedented Online Ballot

Two-Hour Broadcast to Air Tuesday, September 18

What are the greatest television shows of all time? Who are our favorite TV mom and dad? Who is our favorite television host of all time? It’s America’s turn to decide, as a collaboration between ABC News and PEOPLE Magazine gave TV fans the opportunity to vote online at www.bestintelevision.com for their favorites of all time. With more than one million votes cast, the results will be revealed during an unprecedented two-hour broadcast, a special edition of “20/20”, “Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time with Barbara Walters,” airing TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on ABC, in conjunction with ABC’s broadcast of the Emmy Awards.

The program will include fresh interviews with stars, directors and producers including Desi Arnaz Jr. and Lucie Arnaz, Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Tina Fey, Mariska Hargitay, Florence Henderson, Christina Hendricks, Ron Howard, Warren Littlefield, Lorne Michaels, Muppets Kermit and Miss Piggy, Phylicia Rashad, Rob Reiner, Ryan Seacrest, Keith Thibodeaux -- aka Little Ricky -- from “I Love Lucy,” Betty White and Dick Wolf.

The special will also include classic clips from America’s favorite shows, as well as out-takes, screen tests and rare behind-the-scenes footage. In additiona, a panel of pop culture and television experts, including several editors and writers from PEOPLE, will weigh in with their thoughts and memories.

Categories:

Best TV Comedy

Best TV Drama

Best Legal or Cop Show

Favorite TV Mom

Favorite TV Dad

Favorite Reality Show

Best Talk Show Host

Best Non-Human Character

Favorite TV Variety Show

Best TV Show of All Time

PEOPLE will announce the winners in the Favorite Reality Show and Most Memorable TV Moments categories in the issue which hits newsstand on September 14. Winners in the Best TV Game Show, Favorite Soap Opera/Daytime Drama, Best Animated Show and Favorite TV Theme Song categories will be revealed online at www.bestintelevision.com in conjunction with the “Best in TV” airdate. While on the “Best in TV” site, television fans also have the opportunity to view clips, slide shows and interviews.

Online Voting: Several dozen Emmy Award winning actors, directors and producers, along with several TV journalists, selected the nominees in each category by choosing their favorites from a list of hundreds of shows old and new. The “all star” panel included luminaries like actors Tim Allen, Valerie Harper and Jimmy Smits, and producers/directors/creators Stephen Bochco, Mark Burnett, Norman Lear, Warren Littlefield, Chuck Lorre and Shonda Rhimes, among many others.

John Green is the executive producer of “Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time with Barbara Walters,” which is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format with stereo sound.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Archived