The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a possibility, Claude, but do you think her vanity would allow her to do that? I know she had no problem with having pies thrown in her face, getting covered in chocolate, mugging and all the rest. But I think she had her limits. Ever noticed how when she was in drag pretending to be a man, she usually still had on false eyelashes and lipstick?

As Robert Osbourne once said, it wasn't so much vanity as it was a realistic assessment of her marketability. She knew people didn't want her to age.

Rightly or wrongly.

I think wrongly to a certain extent and I base it on the Here's Lucy rehearsal footage from the Jack Benny and Richard Burton episodes on the HL discs. I like that look so much better...with her own hair and a minimum of make up.

Ditto Mame: (and this is a repeat from past posts) I came across an unretouched photo from Mame. Though she is pulled up and wigged in the shot, the facial imperfections left as is would have worked just fine. I don't think there was such a dire need for overly-soft close ups. Although ferchritsake, she didn't invent them! Look at 26 year old Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. Lucy's SO beautiful in Critics Choice but her close ups are soft, particularly towards the end when she's relenting to her husband's pleas to not leave. If she was given the same treatment in YM&O, I didn't notice. Perhaps this has more to do with the cinematographer and lighting director's expertise than we understand.

As Robert Osbourne once said, it wasn't so much vanity as it was a realistic assessment of her marketability. She knew people didn't want her to age.

Rightly or wrongly.

I think wrongly to a certain extent and I base it on the Here's Lucy rehearsal footage from the Jack Benny and Richard Burton episodes on the HL discs. I like that look so much better...with her own hair and a minimum of make up.

Ditto Mame: (and this is a repeat from past posts) I came across an unretouched photo from Mame. Though she is pulled up and wigged in the shot, the facial imperfections left as is would have worked just fine. I don't think there was such a dire need for overly-soft close ups. Although ferchritsake, she didn't invent them! Look at 26 year old Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. Lucy's SO beautiful in Critics Choice but her close ups are soft, particularly towards the end when she's relenting to her husband's pleas to not leave. If she was given the same treatment in YM&O, I didn't notice. Perhaps this has more to do with the cinematographer and lighting director's expertise than we understand.

This post deserves an honourable mention! Fantastically written and very true!

Rightly or wrongly.

Thaaaaaaaank you! :D

I love the silent segments on the DVDs of Lucy posing for a last glamor (or glamoUr) shot they use...also the Here's Lucy opening credit session. She had so many cute looks and poses. The ones they picked to use, I don't think were the best.

Again thanks to the DVD producers (Thomas Mae Watson and Company) for taking the trouble to find these and including them for posterity. Were it not for their diligent efforts, we would NEVER get to see this footage.

I know, unbelievable dedication, the work they have done is beyond belief, just amazing, thanks from all of us.

And I'll bet people are still calling YOU young lady!

No, usually they calls it like they sees it, OLD LADY CLAUDIE! Neil, ever see Logo's The A List NY? The way these guys talk to each other is making me laugh out loud, those dishy Queens are a force to be reckoned with, i gotta find friends like that. The way one guy tore into the decoration done by another gay guy at his friend's house reminded me of the catty gals on ILL looking at Carolyn's new Chinese Modern furniture, LOL! :marionstrong:

Also Lucy's wardrobe was the best out of all TLS seasons in this 6th season. (Thanks to Stevenson!) We weren't just stuck seeing that grey pantsuit and brown jacket and skirt combo!

But there were other reasons for THAT, she was after all a mere secretary with a lousy salary and a cheap boss and Lucy Ball herself loved to use her own clothes on the show too. The best outfit she wore on that season was after all her own Emmy dress.

i gotta find friends like that. The way one guy tore into the decoration done by another gay guy at his friend's house reminded me of the catty gals on ILL looking at Carolyn's new Chinese Modern furniture, LOL! :marionstrong:

Be careful what you wish for. What would they say about your Chinese Modern decor? LOL

Rightly or wrongly.

Yes BUT, she had a movie star and then Queen of Television image to uphold and she suffered from the curse of the beautiful people, people age, they get old looking, she got the greatest gift in the world when Irma used the Gene Hibbs make up on her, that lifting DID take off twenty years or more and prolonged her career. I agree that in color with minimum make up as in the cover shot of the Lee Tannen book, she looked terrific, but not the black and white in the kitchen with Jim Brochu ones though. I'm sorry, i as her biggest fan did not like those at all and respect her wish that she not be seen like that. I've also seen some Mame untouched pics, with that stupid ass T U R B A N and she looks horrible. Lucy without her signature LOOK and especially her red hair is just not Lucy to me, sorry, that's just how i feel, yes, she knew what was best for her better than anybody, but not later in life, she never knew what was good for her career or her appearance and nobody had the guts to tell her i guess.

Be careful what you wish for. What would they say about your Chinese Modern decor? LOL

Oh I KNOW that, i got those for my mom and now that i'm pondering either moving in with beau when he comes back to town or getting a studio apt in a retirement home, i might just keep a few choice pieces and get rid of the rest, LOL!

Oh I KNOW that, i got those for my mom and now that i'm pondering either moving in with beau when he comes back to town or getting a studio apt in a retirement home, i might just keep a few choice pieces and get rid of the rest, LOL!

Claude in a retirement home?! This needs to be a reality show on Radio Canada!

Yes BUT, she had a movie star and then Queen of Television image to uphold and she suffered from the curse of the beautiful people, people age, they get old looking, she got the greatest gift in the world when Irma used the Gene Hibbs make up on her, that lifting DID take off twenty years or more and prolonged her career. I agree that in color with minimum make up as in the cover shot of the Lee Tannen book, she looked terrific, but not the black and white in the kitchen with Jim Brochu ones though. I'm sorry, i as her biggest fan did not like those at all and respect her wish that she not be seen like that. I've also seen some Mame untouched pics, with that stupid ass T U R B A N and she looks horrible. Lucy without her signature LOOK and especially her red hair is just not Lucy to me, sorry, that's just how i feel, yes, she knew what was best for her better than anybody, but not later in life, she never knew what was good for her career or her appearance and nobody had the guts to tell her i guess.

I completely and utterly disagree with this post.

Those untouched Mame photos looked completely fine IMHO. She aged and had wrinkles? SO WHAT! We all do! Hell, she looks better than me, wrinkles and all, and I'm 19! Haha. She had insecurities of getting older. Well how the hell wouldn't she?! It was thrown in her face, like that fan story for instance? And the critics? All of it was just downright rude, she didn't deserve that. Lucy didn't deserve to only be perceived and accepted in roles as a younger wacky red head either. You could just tell she didn't enjoy getting older AT ALL. BUT she still didn't go out and get plastic surgery. I have such respect for that.

But why look at the wrinkles? Look at those blue eyes, eyelashes, bow lips, fingernails, and that fiery hair! I never understood how people can look past those things and at the flaws when looking at her. Lucy was the definition of stunning.

I don't think she was the one that made the stupid decisions>>>>:gary:

Only bad decision in her career to me was LWL but once again. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I completely and utterly disagree with this post.

Those untouched Mame photos looked completely fine IMHO. She aged and had wrinkles? SO WHAT! We all do! Hell, she looks better than me, wrinkles and all, and I'm 19! Haha. She had insecurities of getting older. Well how the hell wouldn't she?! It was thrown in her face, like that fan story for instance? And the critics? All of it was just downright rude, she didn't deserve that. Lucy didn't deserve to only be perceived and accepted in roles as a younger wacky red head either. You could just tell she didn't enjoy getting older AT ALL. BUT she still didn't go out and get plastic surgery. I have such respect for that.

But why look at the wrinkles? Look at those blue eyes, eyelashes, bow lips, fingernails, and that fiery hair! I never understood how people can look past those things and at the flaws when looking at her. Lucy was the definition of stunning.

I don't think she was the one that made the stupid decisions>>>>:gary:

Only bad decision in her career to me was LWL but once again. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watchatalkinbout Annaleigh? And stop picking on my idol, my dream man, gary the goldrobber. She didn't GET plastic surgery because she couldn't, supposedly she couldn't heal properly. She didn't have insecurities about getting older, she just accepted the fact that in Hollywood, back then, you aged, you stopped working, phone calls stopped. The era of building up the celebrity was over by the time Mame came along, it was now the joy of bringing them down, so they did. It made alot of great stories to criticize the use of gauze on the lens, hiding her real age, calling it a vanity project, saying she was too old for the part, probably started by the ones who missed out on it, ring any bells angie baby? By late life decisions i mean her fear of not attemting something more sophisticated and resorting to cheap laughs in those horrible sketches on bob hope shows and no REAL friend of hers telling her her make up should be more subdued at her advanced age, a little Max Factor, instead of Boffo the clown. But other grande dames made the same mistakes, see Mae West, Ginger Rogers and so many others who grew fat like Kathryn Grayson, shoplifters like Hedy Lamarr, drunks like TOO MANY TO MENTION. Lucy became a semi recluse, not a full time one like Marlene Dietrich or Joan Crawford. And she certainly grew older a thousand times better than Bette Davis who had a side job as model for Halloween masks at the end of HER life. But there are examples of Lucy looking fine, at Desi's funeral, just 3 years before her own demise, she looked elegant. Maybe the Oscars were a better example, she looked sensational outside but with the lighting inside, not so much, at this point the three packs a day habit had started to damage the exterior the way it did her insides. But don't get me wrong, like Taylor said the other day, the woman was photographed a million times and never took a really bad picture.

Watchatalkinbout Annaleigh? And stop picking on my idol, my dream man, gary the goldrobber. She didn't GET plastic surgery because she couldn't, supposedly she couldn't heal properly. She didn't have insecurities about getting older, she just accepted the fact that in Hollywood, back then, you aged, you stopped working, phone calls stopped. The era of building up the celebrity was over by the time Mame came along, it was now the joy of bringing them down, so they did. It made alot of great stories to criticize the use of gauze on the lens, hiding her real age, calling it a vanity project, saying she was too old for the part, probably started by the ones who missed out on it, ring any bells angie baby? By late life decisions i mean her fear of not attemting something more sophisticated and resorting to cheap laughs in those horrible sketches on bob hope shows and no REAL friend of hers telling her her make up should be more subdued at her advanced age, a little Max Factor, instead of Boffo the clown. But other grande dames made the same mistakes, see Mae West, Ginger Rogers and so many others who grew fat like Kathryn Grayson, shoplifters like Hedy Lamarr, drunks like TOO MANY TO MENTION. Lucy became a semi recluse, not a full time one like Marlene Dietrich or Joan Crawford. And she certainly grew older a thousand times better than Bette Davis who had a side job as model for Halloween masks at the end of HER life. But there are examples of Lucy looking fine, at Desi's funeral, just 3 years before her own demise, she looked elegant. Maybe the Oscars were a better example, she looked sensational outside but with the lighting inside, not so much, at this point the three packs a day habit had started to damage the exterior the way it did her insides. But don't get me wrong, like Taylor said the other day, the woman was photographed a million times and never took a really bad picture.

C'mon Lucy lived to work! The older she got the less work and we all know she didn't like that even if accepted. Especially after LWL, I think she was just really confused. They wanted Lucy Ricardo, which they did, just older. She did fine on that series, it was those damn supporting characters except Gale of course! But look at Betty White! Only reason I believe she attracts people now is because she has a sassy old woman personality, especially her characters now. if Lucy was ever like that she would've been accepted but that wasn't who she was. Which she shouldn't have done anyways. It just depends on the roles I guess, slapstick can only work with you so long. I don't but to me she never looked bad to me, I really look past any flaw. C'Mon she's Lucy! BTW I am currently watching Meet The People and she looks so damn stunning! Imagine if this movie was in color!

I watched Meet The People too and thought the same thing about color. It's an interesting mix of her looks. Super movie star glam and down to earth Lucy with the looser hair down. So pretty as both.

Also is this and Duberry the only time she had on a midriff barring outfit? Looked pretty darn trim.

C'mon Lucy lived to work! The older she got the less work and we all know she didn't like that even if accepted. Especially after LWL, I think she was just really confused. They wanted Lucy Ricardo, which they did, just older. She did fine on that series, it was those damn supporting characters except Gale of course! But look at Betty White! Only reason I believe she attracts people now is because she has a sassy old woman personality, especially her characters now. if Lucy was ever like that she would've been accepted but that wasn't who she was. Which she shouldn't have done anyways. It just depends on the roles I guess, slapstick can only work with you so long. I don't but to me she never looked bad to me, I really look past any flaw. C'Mon she's Lucy! BTW I am currently watching Meet The People and she looks so damn stunning! Imagine if this movie was in color!

And another THIN, all that crap about her not being able to do slapsticlk physical comedy at 75 on Life with Lucy, ever see the one with the Lounge Chair, she was amazing for her age. She looked 45 again in that scene.

And another THIN, all that crap about her not being able to do slapsticlk physical comedy at 75 on Life with Lucy, ever see the one with the Lounge Chair, she was amazing for her age. She looked 45 again in that scene.

Yeah I think people overreacted to that bit. It was very tame, all things considered. And she handled it very well.

Yeah I think people overreacted to that bit. It was very tame, all things considered. And she handled it very well.

Yeah, they were all, she's seventy five eyars old, can she take it? Then again, they were concerned about her too thirty years before when she stood on that ledge with Superman. The thing is at that point of her life, they should have given her one liners, zingers, more sophisticated humor to play with rather than physical stunts at that stage of her life.

I'm not saying she wasn't able to do it, I'm saying that it'll only take you so far with an audience.

As I have yet to be able to see all of LWL I have no say in that. But knowing our Lucy she did it wonderfully

I'm not saying she wasn't able to do it, I'm saying that it'll only take you so far with an audience.

As I have yet to be able to see all of LWL I have no say in that. But knowing our Lucy she did it wonderfully

Honey, i told you, beau is the only one who can duplicate my dvds and i haven't seen him in a month or so and now my computer's finished so when he does come here this week possibly, he'll be setting me up computer wise, still no time to make you copies. But soon, i promise. Lucy didn't have to GO FAR with her Life with Lucy audience as they would have PAID to watch her read the phone book at that stage of her life, she was getting laughs with straight lines.

Archived