The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Had there been a season 7, maybe there would've been a plot where Viv gets divorced and has to move in with Lucy for a time, while Sherman gets shipped off to military school with Jerry.

Well, I can dream anyway :)

OR, she marries that golfer she used to date, gary something or other and they settle in together and have escapades, WELL, I CAN HAVE NIGHTMARES, CAN'T I? :marionstrong:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my copy! Quickest I've ever received it before! Can't wait to savour each episode - this time round I'm just watching two episodes max each day - I want to savour the flavour, that is Season 6! :peachonthebeach:

Anyway, I've got 2 months until the release of the next DVD so there's no rush! :lucythrill:

Got my copy! Quickest I've ever received it before! Can't wait to savour each episode - this time round I'm just watching two episodes max each day - I want to savour the flavour, that is Season 6! :peachonthebeach:

Anyway, I've got 2 months until the release of the next DVD so there's no rush! :lucythrill:

cool! :D

Today I watched

Lucy Gets Trapped Seen it several times before but this time, in beautiful crystal clear quality!

Lucy Gets Her Diploma: Great. I am glad that Steve learned his lesson, and we saw a good amount of Lucie. LOL'ed at Lucy running out of the room after finishing her soliloquy

Lucy & Phil Harris: Pretty good, what a beautiful song he wrote. I could see tears running down his face, too. I guess back then, they didn't think we'd get copies this crisp and clean and see little things like that. I predicted that Phil would ask for his pants back at the end. I just can't get image of Baloo the Bear out of my head! :lucyhaha:

Lucy Gets Mooney Fired: THAT was the reason why she wore bunny ears? LOL. I think this inspired "Lucy & 20-20 Vision" 3 years later.

Lucy's Mystery Guest: Poor Lucy having to drink luke-warm cod liver oil. :lucydisgust: I liked how Lucy stood up for herself at the end, and how Aunt Agatha agreed to eating steak.

One of my favorite lines came from this episode

:lucy2: It must say Tuesday, it can't be Tursday. :lucyhaha:

Finished with the set! (Well, of all the episodes I never saw before)

Lucy the Philanthropist--I guess it was all right.

Lucy Sues Mooney--Not a big fan of these types of episodes, and Lucy faking her injury just to make a fast buck

Lucy and the Stolen Stole--Loved it! I really called it at the end when Mr. Cheever even got arrested for using counterfeit bail money. I just knew that was going to happen. But how did they get out? The episode ended with them in jail.

Mooney's Other Wife--it was OK ... didn't get Lucy's method of hiding in the closet and spying. Thought she was funny when she acted like a dog and licked Mr. Mooney's hand and even bit his leg.

Lucy the Pool Hustler--Great. I never saw anybody use their method to decide who breaks, lol. And I was gonna say, 1000 dollars, even in 1967 isn't going to get you a new car and a new TV and all that.

Lucy helps Ken Berry--OK, I thought the bit with the truck drivers learning how to dance by "stepping on the brakes and the gas" was clever. The dance number at the end with Lucy and Ken was good. :)

Lucy & Sid Caesar--Loved it! I thought that Frankie the Forger's assistant looked just like Eddie Collins (aged 5 years) I felt bad for Lucy falling for it. If I were the REAL Sid, I would've not only done that secret signal but also worn a bright red hat or something.

Lucy and the Boss of the Year Award--loved it! Loved Mary Jane's song suggestions. And it was kind of a twist ending, poor Mr. Mooney LOL. Lucy singing her song to the tune of "76 Trombones" was really funny.

Well, thanks for the Memories, CBS DVD and Tom Watson, of 6 wonderful years of The Lucy Show and 6 more years of Here's Lucy. These sets are so great and so much work went into them. I didn't think I'd ever get to see these episodes, especially in pristine, crisp, clean, uncut glory but I did!

Watched the first disc - loved all of them except Lucy Gets Her Diploma - it was more of a community service announcement than anything else - it was 1/2 hour promoting education and very silly.

Yeah, I didn't much like that episode. Very corny. Why couldn't Lucy just go get a GED instead of actually going back to high school? Dumb. :marionstrong:

"Lucy & Viv Reminisce" Loved it! Didn't think they would use 5 black & white clips and 1 color clip. I found it hard to believe that Lucy broke her leg after she fell out of bed. And how Viv broke HER leg after tripping over a hole in the floor. Spraining her ankle would've been more realistic. And 3000 miles by BUS? :blink: And that line referring to her husband made it seem like Viv wasn't happy with him.

Interesting that all the clips came from season #1, with the exception of the one color clip came from the only amusing scene in a vastly inferior season 3 episode, written by one-episode-wonder (as in I 'wonder' why they bought their script) writers (Dave Braverman and ?? Marcus?). Though I prefer season #2, I guess the focus did shift away from Lucy and Viv scenes (1) to Lucy and Mooney scenes (2), because I can't think of too many L-V's from #2. We did not have a color set in 68 so I wouldn't have known which were bw and which were color.

"Meets the Berles"...I wonder if the opening apartment scene was not filmed before an audience. Lucy's entrance in the subsequent scene gets applause, which is sort of strange if the audience had already seen her in the previous scene. Is Ruth Berle pregnant in real life? Sure looks like she has a maternity dress on. Speaking of dresses, lucy's looks like a test pattern.

The Ruta Lee-movie star thing is inadvertently funny. I did not know it until recently but she did do quite a few movies, though movie STAR is a stretch. As is Lucy going on about going to see "her" pictures 3 and 4 times. (In a printed interview, then Mayor Sam Yorty--future guest in HL "Jim Bailey"--stated, when asked who his favorite movie star is: "Ruta Lee" to which the reporter editorialized "I'd like him to name ONE of her movies.")

Ruth Berle has that Don Loper non-actor charm, but her performance is fitting for this episode because despite Lucy and Milton's efforts, most of it is so presentational. It's hard not to laugh at the salad-on-Milton's head scene. It's obvious that much of it was unplanned as if a real salad was not used in dress rehearsal. It's one of the few times everyone is breaking up but trying to hold it together, except for Lucy who tries vainly to keep everyone on script and in character. I'm glad they left Milton's adlib "Hear you? I can't even see you" in. Do you think Milton practiced that perfect dumping of the last bit of salad in the bowl?

The set up of Lucy listening over the intercom is well done. It didn't dawn on me before that this plot device is borrowed from both "Housewarming" and "New Tenants".

Though a bit over the top, this is a pretty good LS episode especially for this season and a good choice for the opener. I can't think of another California episode that is Mooney-less. Is there one?

The Ruta Lee-movie star thing is inadvertently funny. I did not know it until recently but she did do quite a few movies, though movie STAR is a stretch. As is Lucy going on about going to see "her" pictures 3 and 4 times. (In a printed interview, then Mayor Sam Yorty--future guest in HL "Jim Bailey"--stated, when asked who his favorite movie star is: "Ruta Lee" to which the reporter editorialized "I'd like him to name ONE of her movies.")

That's funny. It's interesting that Ruta did indeed several times play "the other woman" in "her" pictures like in "Witness for the Prosecution" (Ruta to Billy Wilder, "I don't come in until page 117?") and "Marjorie Morningstar."

"Meets the Berles"...I wonder if the opening apartment scene was not filmed before an audience. Lucy's entrance in the subsequent scene gets applause, which is sort of strange if the audience had already seen her in the previous scene. Is Ruth Berle pregnant in real life? Sure looks like she has a maternity dress on. Speaking of dresses, lucy's looks like a test pattern.

Ruth Berle has that Don Loper non-actor charm, but her performance is fitting for this episode because despite Lucy and Milton's efforts, most of it is so presentational. It's hard not to laugh at the salad-on-Milton's head scene. It's obvious that much of it was unplanned as if a real salad was not used in dress rehearsal. It's one of the few times everyone is breaking up but trying to hold it together, except for Lucy who tries vainly to keep everyone on script and in character. I'm glad they left Milton's adlib "Hear you? I can't even see you" in. Do you think Milton practiced that perfect dumping of the last bit of salad in the bowl?

The set up of Lucy listening over the intercom is well done. It didn't dawn on me before that this plot device is borrowed from both "Housewarming" and "New Tenants".

Though a bit over the top, this is a pretty good LS episode especially for this season and a good choice for the opener. I can't think of another California episode that is Mooney-less. Is there one?

I like this episode alot.. I like how her lining in her jacket matches her dress.. I think this one is fun from start to finish!

Yeah.. I am probably gonna get booted off this website for saying this... but I think this season 6 is very unforgiving to Lucille's looks.. for years I have been shielded from her "flaws" by great make up and lighting techniques.. and on this season I am troubled by her baggy eyes and crows feet.. I know she is human an can't look flawless all the time (and I won't take any prizes with my apperance either) but it is kind of distacting for me to see her in unflattering light.. and am I wrong.. don't these season 6 episodes seem more "lit" than any The Lucy Show episode so far?? I know Here's Lucy looks like it is filmed under the sun at times.. but The Lucy Show had a softer quality.. until this season which I guess is when she insisted on more light and I feel is isn't balanced at times because you can catch her in some not so great angles ... just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if so.. could Desilu have corrected this??

Yeah.. I am probably gonna get booted off this website for saying this... but I think this season 6 is very unforgiving to Lucille's looks.. for years I have been shielded from her "flaws" by great make up and lighting techniques.. and on this season I am troubled by her baggy eyes and crows feet.. I know she is human an can't look flawless all the time (and I won't take any prizes with my apperance either) but it is kind of distacting for me to see her in unflattering light.. and am I wrong.. don't these season 6 episodes seem more "lit" than any The Lucy Show episode so far?? I know Here's Lucy looks like it is filmed under the sun at times.. but The Lucy Show had a softer quality.. until this season which I guess is when she insisted on more light and I feel is isn't balanced at times because you can catch her in some not so great angles ... just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if so.. could Desilu have corrected this??

BS. Lucy looked her best Season 6 of TLS. And yes, Lucy was human so why keep bringing up her baggy eyes and crow's feet. She was in her late 50s at the time so give her a break already. :lucyeww:

Yeah.. I am probably gonna get booted off this website for saying this... but I think this season 6 is very unforgiving to Lucille's looks..

This is not a bootable offense! By a long shot. We're here to discuss the good and the bad and everything in between.

I agree with what you're saying, because this is the first season I began to notice that Lucy was no longer a 'young woman'. However in the few episodes I've looked at from season 6, I don't know what I had detected because she looks better than I remember. It could be that her voice was being strained by this point, but even that's much better than my memory. She was still trying to speak in the Lucy Carmichael register when her own voice had lowered. There are numerous, mostly unflattering theories for this voice lowering, but I think it was the strain I mentioned coupled with the fact that many women's voices lower as they get older.

Poor Lucy faced more of a dilemma than most aging actresses in that it disappointed us when she showed any sign of age...to the point that it seemed to actually ANGER people.

Other than Mae West in "Sextette" I don't know of any actress that was ripped apart for aging as Lucy was in "Mame". It's as if she invented soft focus and personally spritzed the lens with vasoline before each shot. It's not like she was trying to look THAT much younger than her real age either. Not like Mae who was trying to convince us that men more than 50 years younger than she was, still thought she was hot stuff. Sextette fiance/husband Timothy Dalton should have been given a special Oscar for uttering lines like "Young and beautiful, your looks will never be gone" to a woman who could have been his great-grandmother!

Apropos to Lucy still being perceived as younger, the TV Guide article of that season mention that she was 56 and a reader wrote a letter they published. He/she thought it was a typo and they meant 36!--which I'm sure Lucy loved.

I thought it was interesting in the last episode, that the 2 supporting cast-members of season 6, Mary Jane Croft and Roy Roberts, were sitting at the table with Lucy and Gale. And then, Mr. Cheever asked Mary Jane to dance!! Nice moments, for the Series Finale of The Lucy Show!!

Yup, Mary Jane Cheever would have had a nice ring to it. Didn't Lucy look fabulous in that one? Looks like she drove to the set straight from the Emmy telecast, LOL!

Yup, Mary Jane Cheever would have had a nice ring to it. Didn't Lucy look fabulous in that one? Looks like she drove to the set straight from the Emmy telecast, LOL!

Maybe she did! LOL! OR she might have been up the whole night and come straight from the after party :lucythrill:

This is not a bootable offense! By a long shot. We're here to discuss the good and the bad and everything in between.

I agree with what you're saying, because this is the first season I began to notice that Lucy was no longer a 'young woman'. However in the few episodes I've looked at from season 6, I don't know what I had detected because she looks better than I remember. It could be that her voice was being strained by this point, but even that's much better than my memory. She was still trying to speak in the Lucy Carmichael register when her own voice had lowered. There are numerous, mostly unflattering theories for this voice lowering, but I think it was the strain I mentioned coupled with the fact that many women's voices lower as they get older.

Poor Lucy faced more of a dilemma than most aging actresses in that it disappointed us when she showed any sign of age...to the point that it seemed to actually ANGER people.

Other than Mae West in "Sextette" I don't know of any actress that was ripped apart for aging as Lucy was in "Mame". It's as if she invented soft focus and personally spritzed the lens with vasoline before each shot. It's not like she was trying to look THAT much younger than her real age either. Not like Mae who was trying to convince us that men more than 50 years younger than she was, still thought she was hot stuff. Sextette fiance/husband Timothy Dalton should have been given a special Oscar for uttering lines like "Young and beautiful, your looks will never be gone" to a woman who could have been his great-grandmother!

Apropos to Lucy still being perceived as younger, the TV Guide article of that season mention that she was 56 and a reader wrote a letter they published. He/she thought it was a typo and they meant 36!--which I'm sure Lucy loved.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. Of course Lucy was getting older and the bags were coming in and the older she looked the more intense her make up became. Is that bad that she was getting older? Hell no. I thought she looked amazing this season, a longer 'cat eye' eye liner looked great on her, the wigs were fabulous, and I love the new outfits.

But as for me I'm one of those fans that will look at a photo that one may think is completely disgusting and I will find the beauty of it. Lol. Lucy looked beautiful, aging flaws and all. But guess what? I really do not notice it and it doesn't become my main focus. Those blue eyes, lashes, bow lips, and red hair is always my focal point. Many pictures of her in the 80s are my favorites. She looked ravishing to me.

Like Claude joked to me saying. I'm an equal opportunity Lucy fan. But it is so damn true, I find beauty in everything and rarely like saying bad things about things, unless they deserve it. Too bad I'm on my phone and it doesn't allow me to use the Gary Morton A-Okay photo. Damn. :/

Archived