The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Comments on the few episodes I've watched so far, out of order.

This whole season bugs me, for many reasons. It's different than season 5 in tone, style and presentation. Every other season has some episodes I love, but not this one. And the continuity!! Well, there is none. Broken leg one week/ healed the next. Graduates from stewardess school/ never mentioned again. ---which is not to say there aren't some enjoyable episodes and great moments.

"Lucy and Carol--part one"

Lamarr is right. Why isn't Carol the same Bradford character like last season since they are virtually the same? (which gives us an idea of what "Here's Agnes" would have been like). Carol's still in her gawky martha Raye-Ruth Buzzi phase. This is the first year of her series and she would mature as a performer tremendously as her series progressed. This episode has some good comedy, mostly coming from Carol. Lucille Ball was such a generous performer, letting relative newcomer Carol do all the great bits. Lucy has that great schtick of being pelted with film spewing out of the projector; and her Chaplin is flawless as always. I like these musical shows generally, but not as much when the vocals are pre-recorded. The spontaneity and energy just aren't there and audience response always seems canned and overdone. I can see why they have to do it with big production numbers like "Main Street', but this one (and Boss of Year medley) could have been done live and would have been so much better. Lucy is a pretty good lipper, but Carol isn't (at least here). These musical number usually require a suspension of belief that is beyond my comfort level. Here, at LEAST they bothered putting these musicians on the plane, but how they learned this medley so quickly...well, no more needs to be said. And WHERE was the piano that accompanied Lucy's Chaplin?? Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, but I have a lot of time on my hands! This musical sequence is just OK--not wild about the song selections, especially "When the Saints Go Marching In". These passengers much be the parents on the kids who sing along with "Dem Bones" because both groups get up and gyrate as one in the same manner.

I give Bob O'Brien credit for coming up with something different but his whole stewardess school premise is SO ludicrous. (Again) at LEAST they gave a nod to continuity by having Lucy mention she was taking a leave from the bank, but why not expound on this premise and have Lucy do a few flights in future episodes? The Lucy Show let a lot of these opportunities go by unexploited. I love that "Coffee Tea or Milk" is written on the chalk board 3 times and that Kasey makes them write down "speed and precision". Why did the other stewardess trainees have to be so bland? Couldn't they have had say, Iris Adrian be one for some additional comedy? Lucy and Carol's grapefruit serving scene could have been so much better--along the lines of chocolate conveyor belt, but is marred by a) that dubbed in clock ticking and the fact that it speeds up for no reason and 2) the inclusion of the college fight song orchestration from nowhere. It's not necessary and adds no comedy to the bit.

I'm not familiar with the "Is this any way to run an airline?" reference that gets a big laugh from the audience. All in all a good episode despite my carping(You can just call me Lucy Carper) . I haven't been able to bring myself to watch "Stewardess Musical" yet.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comments on the few episodes I've watched so far, out of order.

This whole season bugs me, for many reasons. It's different than season 5 in tone, style and presentation. Every other season has some episodes I love, but not this one. And the continuity!! Well, there is none. Broken leg one week/ healed the next. Graduates from stewardess school/ never mentioned again. ---which is not to say there aren't some enjoyable episodes and great moments.

"Lucy and Carol--part one"

Lamarr is right. Why isn't Carol the same Bradford character like last season since they are virtually the same? (which gives us an idea of what "Here's Agnes" would have been like). Carol's still in her gawky martha Raye-Ruth Buzzi phase. This is the first year of her series and she would mature as a performer tremendously as her series progressed. This episode has some good comedy, mostly coming from Carol. Lucille Ball was such a generous performer, letting relative newcomer Carol do all the great bits. Lucy has that great schtick of being pelted with film spewing out of the projector; and her Chaplin is flawless as always. I like these musical shows generally, but not as much when the vocals are pre-recorded. The spontaneity and energy just aren't there and audience response always seems canned and overdone. I can see why they have to do it with big production numbers like "Main Street', but this one (and Boss of Year medley) could have been done live and would have been so much better. Lucy is a pretty good lipper, but Carol isn't (at least here). These musical number usually require a suspension of belief that is beyond my comfort level. Here, at LEAST they bothered putting these musicians on the plane, but how they learned this medley so quickly...well, no more needs to be said. And WHERE was the piano that accompanied Lucy's Chaplin?? Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, but I have a lot of time on my hands! This musical sequence is just OK--not wild about the song selections, especially "When the Saints Go Marching In". These passengers much be the parents on the kids who sing along with "Dem Bones" because both groups get up and gyrate as one in the same manner.

I give Bob O'Brien credit for coming up with something different but his whole stewardess school premise is SO ludicrous. (Again) at LEAST they gave a nod to continuity by having Lucy mention she was taking a leave from the bank, but why not expound on this premise and have Lucy do a few flights in future episodes? The Lucy Show let a lot of these opportunities go by unexploited. I love that "Coffee Tea or Milk" is written on the chalk board 3 times and that Kasey makes them write down "speed and precision". Why did the other stewardess trainees have to be so bland? Couldn't they have had say, Iris Adrian be one for some additional comedy? Lucy and Carol's grapefruit serving scene could have been so much better--along the lines of chocolate conveyor belt, but is marred by a) that dubbed in clock ticking and the fact that it speeds up for no reason and 2) the inclusion of the college fight song orchestration from nowhere. It's not necessary and adds no comedy to the bit.

I'm not familiar with the "Is this any way to run an airline?" reference that gets a big laugh from the audience. All in all a good episode despite my carping(You can just call me Lucy Carper) . I haven't been able to bring myself to watch "Stewardess Musical" yet.

:lucydisgust: So do you like it? :lucythrill:

I'm not familiar with the "Is this any way to run an airline?" reference that gets a big laugh from the audience.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-AIRLINES-anyway-run-airline-1966-ad-/400061743405

Why did the other stewardess trainees have to be so bland? Couldn't they have had say, Iris Adrian be one for some additional comedy?

There's no way Iris Adrain could have been hired as a flight attendant -- er, stewardess -- in the 1960s. For that matter, neither could Lucy Carmichael:

"Airlines wanted stewardesses – that is, women only – and they wanted the women to be young and single. Most stewardesses were fired or grounded when they got married or turned a certain age, usually 32 or 35."

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/work/a/Ending-Female-Only-Flight-Attendant-Policies.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-AIRLINES-anyway-run-airline-1966-ad-/400061743405

There's no way Iris Adrain could have been hired as a flight attendant -- er, stewardess -- in the 1960s. For that matter, neither could Lucy Carmichael:

When Lucy Carmichael was in Danfield she was looking for a job and came across stewardess but "you have to be between the ages of 20 and 27". To which Viv remarks: "you're at the awkward age. Too old for stewardess and too young for social security."

But think how FUNNY it would have been to have had Iris as one of the 'students'! Maybe the whole Danfield firewomen squad too.

Re: Lucy and Carol part 2---Stewardess musical. No, I did not like it but am keeping an open mind because sometimes a re-view years later surprises me.

I hope I'm not spoiling people's enjoyment of these episodes by offering my frank observations. Believe me, no one appreciated later Lucy was she and the show were good!

The spontaneity and energy just aren't there and audience response always seems canned and overdone. I can see why they have to do it with big production numbers like "Main Street', but this one (and Boss of Year medley) could have been done live and would have been so much better. Lucy is a pretty good lipper, but Carol isn't (at least here). These musical number usually require a suspension of belief that is beyond my comfort level. Here, at LEAST they bothered putting these musicians on the plane, but how they learned this medley so quickly...well, no more needs to be said. And WHERE was the piano that accompanied Lucy's Chaplin?? Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, but I have a lot of time on my hands! This musical sequence is just OK--not wild about the song selections, especially "When the Saints Go Marching In". These passengers much be the parents on the kids who sing along with "Dem Bones" because both groups get up and gyrate as one in the same manner.

I give Bob O'Brien credit for coming up with something different but his whole stewardess school premise is SO ludicrous.

LOLOL This is why I mentioned it in my comments on the earlier page, the entire season loses its fourth wall.

It plays like Vaudeville. Even the jokes.

Lets see.. Remember, in the beginning of the pilot for I Love Lucy, the announcers assistant takes off a wall of the supposed Ricardo apartment, and zooms in to tell their story. Well there goes the approach right there- Its real, and its believable, with the audience being treated as a spy on the wall.

The Lucy show is so spontaneous, I sometimes think they are going to go into t he audience to get a person to perform or dance with them in the numbers lol

In TLS, you can have a massive explosion 4 and 5 times during a season, or become extremely personable with a celebrity within a 2 minute time frame. Horses, and sheep are taken care of as children. You can win 5,000 and meet with Robert Goulet one week, then the next week, be broke looking for a second job to moonlight for a small TV- By this time, I think Lucy knew the concept was changing, and wanted to maybe do what she hadn't in the previous seasons.

I dunno, but I do see your point.

To me, the cinematography, colors, and energy keep me glued in, otherwise, it probably would annoy me.

Re: Lucy and Carol part 2---Stewardess musical. No, I did not like it but am keeping an open mind because sometimes a re-view years later surprises me.

I hope I'm not spoiling people's enjoyment of these episodes by offering my frank observations. Believe me, no one appreciated later Lucy was she and the show were good!

"Lucy and Carol Part 2" is even more unbearable than "Main Street Part 2," if that's possible. First of all, the premise of new flight attendants putting on a show is beyond ludicrous. Then there's the whole variety show aspect which seems totally out of place on a sitcom. And yes, the series continuity (or lack thereof). As a rule, I pretty much hate all of these musical episodes from the later years. On "I Love Lucy," episodes like "The Operetta" worked beautifully because, to begin with, you had a solid and believable premise: a woman's club putting on an amateur musical that comes off looking exactly like what it's supposed to be: an amateur musical, with all the mishaps and bad direction (and bad lyrics :) one would expect. They were able to pull off performing some catchy tunes while at the same time, be uproariously funny. But when the setting is a bank and employees and customers (or flight attendants and passengers on an airplane) suddenly break out in perfectly choreographed song and dance, it totally loses me.

And regarding Carol Burnett Part 1, while I agree there were funny moments, the story is too implausible on many levels, not just the premise of Lucy the bank secretary becoming a stewardess, and Lucy and Carol and the musicians on the plane somehow being able to perform an unrehearsed medley and be completely in sync.. But have you noticed quickly that plane takes off? They're somehow airborne in a few seconds. And also, there is no time transition to suggest a long flight. If you watch closely, the entire L.A. to Chicago flight takes less than 15 minutes. Pretty remarkable! (Actually, maybe someone can prove me wrong on this point. I haven't received my DVD yet, so I've never seen the episode unedited. Perhaps something was cut out causing the flight to appear only about a dozen minutes long.)

Okay, these are my major complaints about S6. And I'll throw in the Ken Berry episode as another I find difficult to watch. But all that being said, I think it's the best of the Hollywood seasons, S4 being my least favorite (by far). There are several episodes in S6 that I think are superb, and quite a few that I enjoy a lot. These are the ones I particularly like, in no particular order.

Lucy Meets the Berles; Lucy Gets Trapped; Lucy and the French Movie Star; Little Old Lucy; Lucy and Robert Goulet; Lucy Gets Mooney Fired; Lucy Sues Mooney ;Lucy and the Pool Hustler; Lucy Gets Involved ; Lucy and the Stolen Stole; Lucy and Phil Harris; and Lucy and Sid Caesar

Granted, this is only half of the season, but by contrast, I would not be able to come up with a comparable list for S4 because I think only the Dean Martin and Robert Stack episodes are worthwhile. For S5, I have a list of 10 episodes I really like:

Lucy, the Bean Queen; Lucy and the Ring-a-Ding-Ding; Lucy Goes to London; Lucy Gets a Roommate; Lucy Gets Caught Up in the Draft; Lucy and John Wayne; Lucy's Substitute Secretary; Lucy Meets the Law; Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard; and Viv Visits Lucy. So for those last three seasons, IMO S6 is the best, followed by S5, then S4 which is a distant last.

I'm not a huge fan of the "put on a show" episodes from any of her series. I didn't much care for the Arthur Godfrey episode and CB part 2 was no exception. Part 1 was amusing, and Part 2 was cute, but I doubt I'll rewatch it again. I much preferred Carol's 2 part guest stint in season 5 to this one.

Same on Here's Lucy. The only thing that makes Generation Gap watchable is the sight of Desi Jr. in that skimpy costume, but little else is... :marionstrong:

It was like she tried to make each episode Carol did thereafter into an episode of the CB show. I much preferred it when Carol was just able to act in the sitcom format. Leave her variety show be, keep your show as is.

I much preferred it when Carol was just able to act in the sitcom format. Leave her variety show be, keep your show as is.

Well said. I must say, though, that I was a big fan of The Carol Burnett Show and I watched it every week. But for me, the show ended at 10:45. I watched the show for the comedy and I hated those musical numbers at the end. My dad would actually leave the room as soon as Carol started singing. :) To each his own, but it was never my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals -- Jersey Boys is an exception -- and those routines on The Carol Burnett Show were in that vein. But at least they kept them separated from the comedy. By integrating that into a sitcom format it ruins it for me because there needs to be some element of believability in the characters. When they break out in song the believability gets destroyed.

Well said. I must say, though, that I was a big fan of The Carol Burnett Show and I watched it every week. But for me, the show ended at 10:45. I watched the show for the comedy and I hated those musical numbers at the end. My dad would actually leave the room as soon as Carol started singing. :) To each his own, but it was never my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals -- Jersey Boys is an exception -- and those routines on The Carol Burnett Show were in that vein. But at least they kept them separated from the comedy. By integrating that into a sitcom format it ruins it for me because there needs to be some element of believability in the characters. When they break out in song the believability gets destroyed.

I love Carol's show too, I watch my subscription DVDs frequently. However I too like it primarily for the comedy. Some of the music I enjoy, but they're not the reason I got the discs.

I forgot how big of an asshole Mooney is in this season especially when Cheever comes around. Even though I think Cheever is a great character to balance between them.

Really? I thought he reached his jerk peak in Season Five. He seems, IMO, much friendlier (or at least warmer) to Mrs. Carmichael -- and even the former Mrs. Bagley -- this season.

Really? I thought he reached his jerk peak in Season Five. He seems, IMO, much friendlier (or at least warmer) to Mrs. Carmichael -- and even the former Mrs. Bagley -- this season.

In certain episodes yes he is a big sweetheart. But when he gets mad at Lucy for something then Mr Cheever agrees with it and takes credit, if I was Lucy I would've punch him in the schnoz!

I'm currently watching Lucy and Viv Reminise and did Viv get eye work done? I know about her nose but between the past sequences and the actual episode something looks completely different. Even if you watch the Viv visits Lucy a year before and then her 2 season six episodes something about her face is different. Unless aging got the best of her.

I think season four of The Lucy Show is the best season of the California shows. Lucy is all over the place and I love it. It was a big leap from season three which was becoming very tired. The format with Vivian and Lucy wouldn't have lasted more than one more season. Lucy knew what she was doing and knew that she was the STAR. I have watched all of season six episodes and here is how I rank them:

EXCELLENT:

Lucy Gets Trapped

Lucy and the French Movie Star

Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account

Lucy's Mystery Guest

Lucy Sues Mooney

Lucy and Caro Burnett Parts I and II

Lucy and Viv Reminisce

Lucy and the Pool Hustler

Lucy Gets Involved

Lucy and the Stolen Stole

Lucy Helps Ken Berry

Lust and the Lost Star

Lucy and Sid Caesar

Lucy and 'The Boss of the Year' Award

VERY GOOD:

Lucy Meets the Berles

Lucy Gets Her Diploma

Lucy and Robert Goulet

Lucy Gets Mooney Fired

GOOD:

Lucy, The Starmaker

Little Old Lucy

BAD:

Lucy, The Philanthropist (tied for the worst episode for season six)*

Mooney's Other Wife (tied for the worst episode for season six)*

Lucy and Phil Harris

I can see why Lucy won her second consecutive Emmy in 1968. She was at the top of the Nielsen's (no. 2) for the season. She was getting ready to start filming "Yours, Mine & Ours," one of her biggest hits and was nominated for A Golden Globe Award for the film. She was also nominated for a Golden Globe for The Lucy Show as Best Actress. She was at the height of her career and enjoying every moment. It's too bad there weren't more extras on the DVD set. I would loved to have watched her guest starring stint on The Greatest Show on Earth. I don't remember it too well, I was only seven when it aired.

I think season four of The Lucy Show is the best season of the California shows. Lucy is all over the place and I love it. It was a big leap from season three which was becoming very tired. The format with Vivian and Lucy wouldn't have lasted more than one more season. Lucy knew what she was doing and knew that she was the STAR. I have watched all of season six episodes and here is how I rank them:

EXCELLENT:

Lucy Gets Trapped

Lucy and the French Movie Star

Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account

Lucy's Mystery Guest

Lucy Sues Mooney

Lucy and Caro Burnett Parts I and II

Lucy and Viv Reminisce

Lucy and the Pool Hustler

Lucy Gets Involved

Lucy and the Stolen Stole

Lucy Helps Ken Berry

Lust and the Lost Star

Lucy and Sid Caesar

Lucy and 'The Boss of the Year' Award

VERY GOOD:

Lucy Meets the Berles

Lucy Gets Her Diploma

Lucy and Robert Goulet

Lucy Gets Mooney Fired

GOOD:

Lucy, The Starmaker

Little Old Lucy

BAD:

Lucy, The Philanthropist (tied for the worst episode for season six)*

Mooney's Other Wife (tied for the worst episode for season six)*

Lucy and Phil Harris

I can see why Lucy won her second consecutive Emmy in 1968. She was at the top of the Nielsen's (no. 2) for the season. She was getting ready to start filming "Yours, Mine & Ours," one of her biggest hits and was nominated for A Golden Globe Award for the film. She was also nominated for a Golden Globe for The Lucy Show as Best Actress. She was at the height of her career and enjoying every moment. It's too bad there weren't more extras on the DVD set. I would loved to have watched her guest starring stint on The Greatest Show on Earth. I don't remember it too well, I was only seven when it aired.

Interesting, I really enjoyed Mooney's Other Wife (although I found the dog impersonation stupid). But apart from that....

In certain episodes yes he is a big sweetheart. But when he gets mad at Lucy for something then Mr Cheever agrees with it and takes credit, if I was Lucy I would've punch him in the schnoz!

I'm currently watching Lucy and Viv Reminise and did Viv get eye work done? I know about her nose but between the past sequences and the actual episode something looks completely different. Even if you watch the Viv visits Lucy a year before and then her 2 season six episodes something about her face is different. Unless aging got the best of her.

Yes, Viv admitted to getting a face lift at some point.

You forgot that she was the very first woman to run a studio in Hollywood during that time also. And Yours mine and ours was not one of her biggest hits, it was HER ALL TIME BIGGEST HIT. :marionstrong:

marionstrong.gifmarionstrong.gifmarionstrong.gif

The whole Carmichael is now complete! :D Browsed through the special features on disc 1 and 4. Loved seeing the reaction of Lucy and Jack in the quicksand just after the cameras cut. I wish it had sound though. And they adjusted the color to the bloopers. Thank goodness! I didn't get what happened in the Mary Wickes blooper though. And the Italian opening for "Diploma" wasn't as trippy as I thought, but it was ... different. And wow, I had no idea it almost went for another season!

I liked seeing the 1968 Emmy win, but they had no way to digitally transfer the footage? I could tell they videoed it off a TV, but I am just curious as to how there wasn't any way to digitally transfer it. Hmmm. Oh well, at least we get to see it, so it's better than nothing.

I liked seeing the 1968 Emmy win, but they had no way to digitally transfer the footage? I could tell they videoed it off a TV, but I am just curious as to how there wasn't any way to digitally transfer it. Hmmm. Oh well, at least we get to see it, so it's better than nothing.

No one seems to have the original 2-inch master tape from 1968. All that is in the Academy archives is the black-and-white kinescope... but thank goodness they have that, and were willing to let us use it on the set!

No one seems to have the original 2-inch master tape from 1968. All that is in the Academy archives is the black-and-white kinescope... but thank goodness they have that, and were willing to let us use it on the set!

So far, only watched "Lucy Gets Involved," "Carol Burnett," "Lost Star," and "Lucy & Viv Reminisce."

I felt bad for Lucy in "Involved" because of the ending, but at least it had a lot of physical stuff. I thought the "wake up pills" would've lasted for more than one scene, too.

"CB" was pretty good, but I found it to be kind of unrealistic in part 1. Like an above poster said, how the heck did they pull that off so perfectly? And yeah the plane seemed to take off right away. Carol was a hoot though.

"Lost Star" was good, but you can tell that Joan had been drinking because she slurred some of her words. I loved Mr. Mooney's "Richard Burton wouldn't give up that kind of money even if he used Elizabeth Taylor as collateral" line.

"Lucy & Viv Reminisce" Loved it! Didn't think they would use 5 black & white clips and 1 color clip. I found it hard to believe that Lucy broke her leg after she fell out of bed. And how Viv broke HER leg after tripping over a hole in the floor. Spraining her ankle would've been more realistic. And 3000 miles by BUS? :blink: And that line referring to her husband made it seem like Viv wasn't happy with him.

So far, only watched "Lucy Gets Involved," "Carol Burnett," "Lost Star," and "Lucy & Viv Reminisce."

I felt bad for Lucy in "Involved" because of the ending, but at least it had a lot of physical stuff. I thought the "wake up pills" would've lasted for more than one scene, too.

"CB" was pretty good, but I found it to be kind of unrealistic in part 1. Like an above poster said, how the heck did they pull that off so perfectly? And yeah the plane seemed to take off right away. Carol was a hoot though.

"Lost Star" was good, but you can tell that Joan had been drinking because she slurred some of her words. I loved Mr. Mooney's "Richard Burton wouldn't give up that kind of money even if he used Elizabeth Taylor as collateral" line.

"Lucy & Viv Reminisce" Loved it! Didn't think they would use 5 black & white clips and 1 color clip. I found it hard to believe that Lucy broke her leg after she fell out of bed. And how Viv broke HER leg after tripping over a hole in the floor. Spraining her ankle would've been more realistic. And 3000 miles by BUS? :blink: And that line referring to her husband made it seem like Viv wasn't happy with him.

Had there been a season 7, maybe there would've been a plot where Viv gets divorced and has to move in with Lucy for a time, while Sherman gets shipped off to military school with Jerry.

Well, I can dream anyway :)

Archived