Box of memorabilia uploads

Neil

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love these great clipping because I am 25 and never seen them before. I hope they keep coming. I am glad Here's Lucy won that award; it is the first award (I know the nominations) it won. I'll have to research that on Google Archive. I love the picture of Lucie with Lucy. You can see similarities and it is nice to see them so happy. This shows how stupid and crappy a tabloid is when the picture doesn't even go with the headline. I love the ad for the seminar. I would think Lucy enjoy teaching the kids like she did earlier with the Desilu Revenue. I was shocked at the stroke picture; I forgot by the 1980s the paparassi was gaining ground. I think the idea Lucy was broke is absurd.

I wonder how serious they were about expanding the show to an hour. I assume this was going to turn into a variety series, not a continuation of the sitcom. What an interesting prospect. I heard of this, but not the details, but this is the first time I've read that "CBS wouldn't agree"... Really???

This is from a February 1964 TV Guide referring to the new fall schedule.

64FallLucyHourCU.jpg

Here's the full page: interesting to note how many of these shows did not actually go on in the fall. Including "Royal Bay" starring Joan Crawford!! December Groom became Many Happy Returns, created by parke Levy of December Bride fame.

64FallLucyHour.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about this before. The Loco character was played by marilyn Monroe in the movie and Barbara Eden in the TV series.

LocoPlay.jpg

There was a lot of talk at the time that Lucy would do Loco on Broadway with Edward Buzzell directing. Loco was actually Betty Grable's character in the film "How to Marry a Millionaire." In the TV series Barbara Eden's character was named Loco, but she had Marilyn Monroe's role's characteristics. Loco was written by Dale Eunson and Katherine Albert, who also wrote "The Star" for Lucy, which Bette Davis ended up doing. The play Loco was ultimately a big flop, but it's notable for being the stage debut of Elaine Stritch.

There was a lot of talk at the time that Lucy would do Loco on Broadway with Edward Buzzell directing. Loco was actually Betty Grable's character in the film "How to Marry a Millionaire." In the TV series Barbara Eden's character was named Loco, but she had Marilyn Monroe's role's characteristics. Loco was written by Dale Eunson and Katherine Albert, who also wrote "The Star" for Lucy, which Bette Davis ended up doing. The play Loco was ultimately a big flop, but it's notable for being the stage debut of Elaine Stritch.

Wow, fascinating stuff and all because Neil decided to straighten out a closet.

I wonder how serious they were about expanding the show to an hour. I assume this was going to turn into a variety series, not a continuation of the sitcom. What an interesting prospect. I heard of this, but not the details, but this is the first time I've read that "CBS wouldn't agree"... Really???

This is from a February 1964 TV Guide referring to the new fall schedule.

64FallLucyHourCU.jpg

Here's the full page: interesting to note how many of these shows did not actually go on in the fall. Including "Royal Bay" starring Joan Crawford!! December Groom became Many Happy Returns, created by parke Levy of December Bride fame.

64FallLucyHour.jpg

What is so amazing about this list is they are announcing the scheduled new series AND their time slots before announcing most of the shows that will be cancelled - and extra weird that the established shows to get the axe are announced well in advance of the upcoming season!

Was "The Entertainers" a different Carol Burnett series, one that never made it to the air, or a preproduction title of TCBS?

Archived