Wadjameanbthat?

C L A U D E

Someone on here brought up the fact that Lucy had a special way of saying this line, WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY THAT? It would come out What ja mean B that? I noticed it too recently, even heard Desi jr say it similarly on a Here's Lucy ep. Ever notice anything else she pronouced in a very different way or her special way of speaking, like when she mentionned Loss Angeleeeeeeeeeeeze. And remember how she'd leave messages on Jim Brochu's answering machine while waiting for him to come play backgammon with her with the line I'M A WAITIN!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some that I have heard over the years.

Lucy chooses the alternate way to say tomato. It’s very evident in Ricky Loses his Temper where the line “I think tomato juice would look just ducky…” she starts out saying it her normal way and stops herself and says it the more common way. This is the only time on film where I heard her say it that way and it’s because of the comic effect of the word that is needed.

Lucy occasionally pronounces “patio” differently as well with a different sound to the “a”.

One of my favorite expressions of her’s is “Who dat?” She says it in “Easy to Wed” and I thought it was just a bit of funny written dialogue, until I started hearing it turn up much later out of character. One example is on the Merv Griffin Show that Gale and Bob Hope are guests on. Merv is introducing one of them to come out and Lucy says. “Who dat?” It’s really rather cute.

I had read about those pronunciations of horses and water, but it seems like Lucy got over those as I never took note that she said those weird.

Oh and it’s always bugged me that she says Arnaz different than anyone else, including Desi.

Some that I have heard over the years.

Lucy chooses the alternate way to say tomato. It’s very evident in Ricky Loses his Temper where the line “I think tomato juice would look just ducky…” she starts out saying it her normal way and stops herself and says it the more common way. This is the only time on film where I heard her say it that way and it’s because of the comic effect of the word that is needed.

Lucy occasionally pronounces “patio” differently as well with a different sound to the “a”.

One of my favorite expressions of her’s is “Who dat?” She says it in “Easy to Wed” and I thought it was just a bit of funny written dialogue, until I started hearing it turn up much later out of character. One example is on the Merv Griffin Show that Gale and Bob Hope are guests on. Merv is introducing one of them to come out and Lucy says. “Who dat?” It’s really rather cute.

I had read about those pronunciations of horses and water, but it seems like Lucy got over those as I never took note that she said those weird.

Oh and it’s always bugged me that she says Arnaz different than anyone else, including Desi.

Yeah tomahto has always bothered me, but i LOVE WHO DAT and use it myself. As for pronoucing her ex husband's and son's name, Desssssssssssssssi, yeah, that one i could do without. Don't forget this is a woman who worried about her lack of education and never wanted to appear dumb, she did enough of that on her shows.

How about the weird way they would sometimes pronounce Los Angeles?

Gale (as mooney or Harry) once called it Los ANGLE (as in triANGLE) EES.. (as in TREES).

Didn't Lucy pronounce it an odd way too? I think she says ANGLE once and EEZE another time, but I only remember Gale putting both in one "Los Angeles". She's not consistent though, because as stewardess trainee Carmichael, Lucy, she calls it Angeles, Los, using the generally accepted pronunciation.

She must have gotten tomAHto from Jamestown, but at least I've heard that pronunciation before (as in "You say tomAYto, I say tomAHto...").

But MAIN-you for menu: I've never heard anywhere else, except for a couple of friends who say it consistently, imitating Lucy.

My mother grew up in the same general area (Pennsylvania). She hasn't lived there in 60 years but still puts an "r" in wash, so it comes out warsh. She pronounces water OK. Can't remember her ever saying the word 'horse'.

Gale (as mooney or Harry) once called it Los ANGLE (as in triANGLE) EES.. (as in TREES).

Didn't Lucy pronounce it an odd way too? I think she says ANGLE once and EEZE another time, but I only remember Gale putting both in one "Los Angeles". She's not consistent though, because as stewardess trainee Carmichael, Lucy, she calls it Angeles, Los, using the generally accepted pronunciation.

She must have gotten tomAHto from Jamestown, but at least I've heard that pronunciation before (as in "You say tomAYto, I say tomAHto...").

But MAIN-you for menu: I've never heard anywhere else, except for a couple of friends who say it consistently, imitating Lucy.

My mother grew up in the same general area (Pennsylvania). She hasn't lived there in 60 years but still puts an "r" in wash, so it comes out warsh. She pronounces water OK. Can't remember her ever saying the word 'horse'.

Wonder if Lucy would pronounce it E R A C or the ever annoying E Y E R A C K . You know, next to E Y E R A N .

My mom does that Eye Talian thing. I told her to stop saying it that way when she visited the country.

I'm in eastern PA, but yes Western PA and NY do tend to say things oddly. Soda is also called POP out there. Wonder what Lucy called it?

Soda is called "pop" out here in the midwest too. ;)

I was just about to mention this. Lucy also has an unusual pronounciaton of "Desi" too.

Yes, to her it was always DESSSSSSSI. Re the comments on POP, to us here it's soft drinks, i can see Lucy calling it POP. And the ever popular CANDY as in candy factory, i'm sorry, but those are chocolates, not candy, candy is the kind that's wrapped and you suck.

"I haven't heard anything like this since Abbott and cus-TEL-o." which she says after Harry and Jonathan Hole have their "my due is due--do tell" exchange in some Here's Lucy episode.

I imagine Desi with a soft s is the actual pronunciation. (as opposed to Dezi as in "The Dezi Arnaz Orchestra" in the 5th season credits)

Soda is called "pop" out here in the midwest too. ;)

We never call it soda or pop here - we simply refer to it as "Soft drink". Soda here means "Soda Water" - so if you were here and asked for a soda then they would just bring you sparkling/fizzy water

"I haven't heard anything like this since Abbott and cus-TEL-o." which she says after Harry and Jonathan Hole have their "my due is due--do tell" exchange in some Here's Lucy episode.

I imagine Desi with a soft s is the actual pronunciation. (as opposed to Dezi as in "The Dezi Arnaz Orchestra" in the 5th season credits)

I wonder if some of her exaggerations were part of her E NUN CI A TION efforts to be heard in the back of the bleachers, others were due to her family around her talking the way they did back in Bugtustle, er i mean Jamestown, but all in all, i think she usually spoke very clearly, you could understand everything she said unlike the people in show biz today who like talk show hosts always scream everything over the annoying sounds of screaming audiences. And how about living with Mr di acha and hearing that accent all the time and having to imitate it constantly on the show for punch lines.

Neil: You'd be surprised at the difference from the close-to-us State of PA (Pennsylvania Dutch we call them) and some of their pronunciations! I grew up with, and visited many times, her grandparents in Oil City (cuppla hours from here, by car, in those days; a long time ago; probably only 60 miles); and I had to listen fast and close to understand most of what they said.

As for tomato, we in this area, pronounce it TOE-MAY'-TOE [accent on may]; unless, of course, we are trying to be 'hoity-toity'; then, we say: TOE-MA'-Toe [accent on ma]; then, we get laughed at. As many dialects as Lucille must have come across, especially in her own home!!!!, obviously, she could pronounce howsomever she chose; and I'm sure she did, as we all do; however, Jamestown, it AIN'T. If I could meet, and speak with Lucille today, I wouldn't care if she was speaking French!!!! It'd be a-o.k. with me. Hoping all is well with you and yours......JK

Forgot about Los Angeles (I say, and we, in this area, say:) Los (as in Los-t; but, without the T) An (as in Ann) Ge (as in ge-l) es (that's it) Los Angeles - simple; some people really butcher it.

Trying to think of 'other' PA Dutch sayings: most of them have slipped away after 60 years; but warsh was definitely one of them! AHHHH, memories - I loved those people - all gone now! Loved to wake up in an upstairs frigid bedroom; but, toasty because of hugh coverlet made of rags and stuffed with probably cotton batting; maybe feathers; and the smell of downstairs' cinammon rolls - homemade!!!!

Loving you, JK

We never call it soda or pop here - we simply refer to it as "Soft drink". Soda here means "Soda Water" - so if you were here and asked for a soda then they would just bring you sparkling/fizzy water

Here in Wisconsin we call it soda. A soft drink/fountain drink is what you would get from a restaurant, like McDonalds, out of the machines.

We also in Wisconsin have a special term called a bubbler. Which is what most of you would call a water fountain, where you get a drink of water. Now I have difficulty even saying that there. A water fountain to me is something you throw pennies into!

Archived