The ending pool video in Home Movies

Luvsbway

I was listening to some old Lucy related interviews from Stu’s show yesterday and learned something very interesting I wanted to pass along. I got through his interview from 2007 with Tom Gilbert who co-authored the Desilu book and then listened to Mike Stern and Wanda from 2011. These were both great interviews and chocked full of valuable Lucy info. Check out his archives for these and many more. Ok commercial over, now onto what I wanted to post.

In the Tom interview Stu made mention of the pool video that is at the end of the Home Movies. I had always thought this video was shot by Lucie. I was wrong. She was not even there. I’ll try to recap this best I remember. Lucie was doing a movie or something in NM. Stu says she dropped off Simon before she left. Now this is where I’m confused because Lucie says that this was in her pool, but Stu doesn’t mention where “dropped off’ meant. So I’m unclear as to who’s pool we are in. Anyways, Stu came over with his video camera and shows Frank how to use it. I guess Desi knew Simon was going to be spending time with Lucy and he comes up from Del Mar. Well Stu makes a copy of this tape for Lucy and himself as well. Cut to post Lucy death and Stu is working with Lucie on a reel for her nightclub act. He mentions this tape and says that it would be the perfect ending for her movie. Lucie doesn’t know anything about this tape. Says her mom never showed it to her or mentioned it. Stu shows her the tape and Lucie was just floored by this wonderful footage of her parents and just starts crying. Lucie and Stu put it together that they thought it was the last time the both of them were on video together.

I loved this story and it was amazing to hear how it came about.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to some old Lucy related interviews from Stu’s show yesterday and learned something very interesting I wanted to pass along. I got through his interview from 2007 with Tom Gilbert who co-authored the Desilu book and then listened to Mike Stern and Wanda from 2011. These were both great interviews and chocked full of valuable Lucy info. Check out his archives for these and many more. Ok commercial over, now onto what I wanted to post.

In the Tom interview Stu made mention of the pool video that is at the end of the Home Movies. I had always thought this video was shot by Lucie. I was wrong. She was not even there. I’ll try to recap this best I remember. Lucie was doing a movie or something in NM. Stu says she dropped off Simon before she left. Now this is where I’m confused because Lucie says that this was in her pool, but Stu doesn’t mention where “dropped off’ meant. So I’m unclear as to who’s pool we are in. Anyways, Stu came over with his video camera and shows Frank how to use it. I guess Desi knew Simon was going to be spending time with Lucy and he comes up from Del Mar. Well Stu makes a copy of this tape for Lucy and himself as well. Cut to post Lucy death and Stu is working with Lucie on a reel for her nightclub act. He mentions this tape and says that it would be the perfect ending for her movie. Lucie doesn’t know anything about this tape. Says her mom never showed it to her or mentioned it. Stu shows her the tape and Lucie was just floored by this wonderful footage of her parents and just starts crying. Lucie and Stu put it together that they thought it was the last time the both of them were on video together.

Yes that interview was wonderful. Very insightful and I learned a lot from it. Stu also mentioned Lucy and Lucie's diffcult relationship in this interview and what it stemed from. Frankly I felt for both mother and daughter. Also a lot of great Gary stories :marionstrong:

The ending of that video is so bittersweet, with the VO of Desi singing "I Love Lucy" over the slow-mo footage of Lucy and Desi playing with Simon in the pool. They may not have been able to stay married, and found new spouses, but they were so much in love until the end and it's evident. At least they're together again on that big stage in the sky. This had to be sometime in the spring/summer of 1982, since Simon was born in December 1980 (weird how Simon Helberg of The Big Bang Theory was also born in December 1980)

I have to get a copy of this on DVD. I hate how when the Bio channel aired it in February 05, they cut it to pieces.

Also if this was the last time they were ever photographed together, according to Lucie, what was that picture of the elder Desi giving the elder Lucy flowers? This had to be right before he passed away, in 1985 or so.

There were the 2 from this year, Jimmy and round 3 with Wands and Frank that I listened to live that were good. Only got through the 2 above so far. I'll eventually listen to them all. I have round 1 and 2 of Frank and Wands from 2008 I believe I want to get through this week.

Syu mentions Bernie Weitzman a lot so I want to listened to his 2 parter. And Stu mentioned a Frank story about when pots and pans went flying when a certain Cuban came home drunk really late. Hope that is in one I downloaded.

There were the 2 from this year, Jimmy and round 3 with Wands and Frank that I listened to live that were good. Only got through the 2 above so far. I'll eventually listen to them all. I have round 1 and 2 of Frank and Wands from 2008 I believe I want to get through this week.

Syu mentions Bernie Weitzman a lot so I want to listened to his 2 parter. And Stu mentioned a Frank story about when pots and pans went flying when a certain Cuban came home drunk really late. Hope that is in one I downloaded.

Ya Ive listened to all of these interviews. All very very good. The second interview with Frank and Wanda may be the best interview Stu did with them(in my opinion). Oh and there is a show where the tables are turned and someone interviewed Stu. Some great tidbits there. And if there was ever any question that Gary was jealous as hell of Desi... well that is taken away after one of the stories Stu told. Thats all im gonna say!

Funny, I could've sworn I heard Lucie laugh on the tape that was filming Lucy, Desi, and Simon in the pool. I am so confused. lol

Any chance it could have been Wanda? I guess not since this is Lucie's house. Maybe it was Edie

I don't know, I just remember it was when Simon slapped Desi and I swear I heard Lucie say something like, "Oh jeez..." and chuckle. Hmm.

Thanks for the heads up on the interviews. I had heard Wanda and Frank at other Lucy events and really enjoyed their interview earlier this year. I will be hitting those older interviews ASAP, they have wonderful stories.

I’ll have to go back and watch that pool footage again. It’s a very good possibility that the person laughing could have been Edie. I would think she would have come along to visit as well. I believe Lucy directs her comment to someone who is not shooting. Another thing that I thought one time, was how common were personal video cameras back then? This would have been 1981. We did not get our first video camera until 1989. All my baby footage in 1981 was on super 8 film. Stu having the camera makes sense as he did video stuff back then. I would think that it would be very cost prohibitive to have them at that time even if you were making some bucks.

Thanks for the heads up on the interviews. I had heard Wanda and Frank at other Lucy events and really enjoyed their interview earlier this year. I will be hitting those older interviews ASAP, they have wonderful stories.

I’ll have to go back and watch that pool footage again. It’s a very good possibility that the person laughing could have been Edie. I would think she would have come along to visit as well. I believe Lucy directs her comment to someone who is not shooting. Another thing that I thought one time, was how common were personal video cameras back then? This would have been 1981. We did not get our first video camera until 1989. All my baby footage in 1981 was on super 8 film. Stu having the camera makes sense as he did video stuff back then. I would think that it would be very cost prohibitive to have them at that time even if you were making some bucks.

My aunt and uncle had a video camera in the early 1980s. It was a huge bulky thing but I remember it.

Yes that interview was wonderful. Very insightful and I learned a lot from it. Stu also mentioned Lucy and Lucie's diffcult relationship in this interview and what it stemed from. Frankly I felt for both mother and daughter. Also a lot of great Gary stories :marionstrong:

What did he say in a nutshell about their relationship?

Also if this was the last time they were ever photographed together, according to Lucie, what was that picture of the elder Desi giving the elder Lucy flowers? This had to be right before he passed away, in 1985 or so.

Does anyone have a copy of this picture to post? I don't recall ever seeing it.

So, who's pool, was it?

Didn't it just stem from the fact that they were too much alike in so many ways?

Ya Ive listened to all of these interviews. All very very good. The second interview with Frank and Wanda may be the best interview Stu did with them(in my opinion). Oh and there is a show where the tables are turned and someone interviewed Stu. Some great tidbits there. And if there was ever any question that Gary was jealous as hell of Desi... well that is taken away after one of the stories Stu told. Thats all im gonna say!

Stop being so coy and such a tease, what's the friggin story? It's a well documented FACT that gary was insanely jealous of Desi and the other way around too. But for very different reasons of course.

What did he say in a nutshell about their relationship?

Lucie once told Stu nothing she did ever pleased her mother. She tried to please her but Lucy's response was often critical. BUT behind Lucie's back Lucy was always saying how proud she was of her daughter. It was one of those weird things were the parent is very proud but finds it very hard to say. And it hurt Lucie. Stu told Lucie that her mother loved her very much and was proud. He said some people are just like that. And since Lucy was never praised as a child and constantly looking for attention from her mother...not hard to see why it may have been hard for her. Anyway, I feel for both of them.

Stop being so coy and such a tease, what's the friggin story? It's a well documented FACT that gary was insanely jealous of Desi and the other way around too. But for very different reasons of course.

Sut

LOL. ok here it is. Stu was asked if he ever met Desi. And he said yes he did meet him once backstage at the Merv Griffith show( pretty sure it was Mervs). So prior to this encounter with Desi Gary had asked Stu to transfer their home videos. Im not a techy person so im not sure what Stu was doing with the videos but he said he was "transfering" them. And while he was doing this Gary said to him"Cut out my EX husband in law from the videos!" (Im sure THAT went over well with Lucie!) So now Stu is talking to Desi and Wanda had encouraged him to mention he worked for Lucy. So he tells Desi he transfered their home movies. Desi looks at him and says"Oh so you cut me out of the videos" And Stu says,"No sir that was Gary". Desi rolls his eyes and says,"Oh ya. Gary WHO!"

Transferring them probably meant taking them from film and putting them on VHS. Cut him out? What an ass. Those years pre-Gary were none of his business. I bet it was a ton of the kids, um he's their dad and has ever right to be a part of their life and video memories. Wow that speaks of a lot of jealousy.

Transferring them probably meant taking them from film and putting them on VHS. Cut him out? What an ass. Those years pre-Gary were none of his business. I bet it was a ton of the kids, um he's their dad and has ever right to be a part of their life and video memories. Wow that speaks of a lot of jealousy.

Yep. Jealous as HELL.

Archived