Here's Lucy: Season Four -- Reviews and First Impressions

Come on, they're not THAT bad! lol

No they're not. They're actually a cool time capsule of what was then, not now, younguns! ;) I do think and wish however, that they'd included the option to either watch the eps with or without them as they do on the CBS TLS releases, but then I suspect that it costs more money to do so and MPI is reportedly doing these on the cheap as cheaply as possible, so we're lucky to get any of these bonuses AT ALL!! Let's hear it for a little "attitude of gratitude", huh?? JEEZ! blink.gif

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny enough that that was Lucille Ball laughing at the adlib, not Lucy Carter since she broke character! Still a bit surprised to this day she didn't yell "Cut!" lucyhorror.JPG

Apparently, later on in the episode Kaye made her laugh so much she had to yell cut. I think Lucy yelling "cut" because she was laughing was extremely, extremely rare. She yelled "cut" because John Ritter cracked her up on Lifr with Lucy and she claimed that was the only the third time she stopped the filming because she was laughing. I think in the case of Gale's doorknobs line, perhaps she realized how great that moment was and didn't want to ruin it.

Apparently, later on in the episode Kaye made her laugh so much she had to yell cut. I think Lucy yelling "cut" because she was laughing was extremely, extremely rare. She yelled "cut" because John Ritter cracked her up on Lifr with Lucy and she claimed that was the only the third time she stopped the filming because she was laughing. I think in the case of Gale's doorknobs line, perhaps she realized how great that moment was and didn't want to ruin it.

Yeah I saw that, when she forced John to eat that stuff she made. I forget what it was.

And I finally saw the adlib. When I first saw this scene I didn't think it was that unusual for them to laugh at something but now seeing it again I could tell they broke character. Kind of like that Ricky/Desi "blooper" in "Cuban Pals." :desi1:

Probably because she loved and respected him so much she did not want him to lose this great laugh courtesy of his ad lib which never normally happened on the show. Like when Milton Berle was allowed his line on the show with the salad dressing dripping down his face, LISTEN TO YOU, I CAN'T EVEN SEE YOU!

Just finished watching the set, very enjoyable despite the lack of slapstick/physical comedy for Lucy.

Worst episode has to be the last one ("Kim finally cuts the apron strings...") which is painfully unfunny - no surprise it failed as a pilot.

Here here once again Mark! We have very similar opinions on things. No doubt we would get along very well in real life! :peachonthebeach:

Just finished watching the set, very enjoyable despite the lack of slapstick/physical comedy for Lucy.

?? What about rolling over a bed on skis, skiing down a flight on stairs, sliding down a slide on to a skateboard, getting dunked in a tub of water, and walking on stilts?

I don't remember the first 3 seasons having any great physical bits like these. Of course the next season's stunts were curtailed by the broken leg, but in season 6 we get one more: Lucy stuck in the 'lotus' position.

?? What about rolling over a bed on skis, skiing down a flight on stairs, sliding down a slide on to a skateboard, getting dunked in a tub of water, and walking on stilts?

I don't remember the first 3 seasons having any great physical bits like these. Of course the next season's stunts were curtailed by the broken leg, but in season 6 we get one more: Lucy stuck in the 'lotus' position.

Thank you, i thought that was a weird statement, as i remembered fondly the ones you mentionned..

• 2 weeks later...

The adlibbed line:

Lucy: She swings a mean bag!

Harry: She IS a mean bag! Lucky she wasn't selling doorknobs!

It was an adlib according to those on the set, including Lucie.

I love watching this part. I thought it was very cute that Lucy had a little chuckle to herself. Once again, you really feel like its "live" - naturally happening right in front of you.

• 3 years later...

Wouldn't it have been fun to have the "broken doors" in the living room set that open when you SLAP above the fireplace be a recurring theme???  Kinda like the pop up toaster in I LOVE LUCY.. that seemed to get fixed in the country sadly..   Some stuff like the stuck doors would be neat to see often...  Well I like to dream!

And what the heck is the deal with the friggin windows always being opened in that house? Did they not have air conditioning?

The first time I saw that house was in July 1988, shortly after her stroke.  I remember the upstairs windows being open.  I live out here in SoCal now and it's common to keep windows open as, usually, air conditioning is not needed.  Many homes within five miles or so of coast don't have air conditioning because it's rarely hot enough to need it.

Really?  Not what I keep hearing on talk shows but that would SPLAIN things, thanks.

Yep, 'tis true.  We've had a couple heat waves lately and that's what they're referring to on those talk shows.  But that's not the norm here.  Beverly Hills is inside the zone where temps are almost always balmy.  But even on those rare hot days, it still cools down at night.  I work from home now, so recently I finally broke down and bought a window unit so I can survive the days during the rare heat wave and get my work done.  But I've lived out here nine years and until I bought this thing, I never had air conditioning.  Didn't need it.  And I still don't need it much.  Today, I opened my doors and at midday, turned on one of the ceiling fans and it felt perfect.  Back in DC where I used to live that was NOT the case.  Air conditioning is a necessity there.

I really appreciate your clearing up this mystery.  Every time I saw the Roxbury mansion with the windows open, I would think, geez, were they even too cheap to get central air conditioning there.

Well, I'm not saying there's not also that possibility. :)  But really, most of the time here you'd be wasting energy running an air conditioner.  Besides, fresh air from outside blowing in from the ocean feels better.

Archived