Here's Lucy: Season Four -- Reviews and First Impressions

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take on the rest of the episodes

Lucy and the Chinese Curse: Good, I loved the bit when she was trying to get Mr. Fong to "save" her. Kind of reminiscent of when Lucy was "drowning" in the Hedda Hopper episode of I Love Lucy.

Lucy's Replacement: Stupid giant computer . . . the part when Lucy was in the typists office was really funny especially when she was mimicking the boss and his robot-like commands.

Kim Moves Out: I totally saw the "I LOST MY BABY!" coming. lolz! And the beginning was very similar to "Don Juan and the Starlets" when Lucy thought Ricky never came home all night

Lucy Sublets the Office: A slow start but really funny the rest of the way. I saw Uncle Harry stomping on the "tantrum machine" coming at the end. Some of these are very predictable but in a good way.

Lucy's Punctured Romance: LOVED WHEN LUCY THOUGHT BOB WAS HARD OF HEARING. And the parts when she made them eat the extra spicy crackers was great.

Apron Strings: Even though Lucy was only in it at the beginning, I thought it was pretty good. I love Kim's apartment! This episode was supposed to be a pilot for Lucie's own sitcom but it never got picked up.

The others, with Viv, the Little Old Lady, etc, were good too. The Viv one was the best, I loved that colorful outfit she wore. I've already seen them on the Best Of set.

Special Features--happy that they included a clip of Lucy & Desi a Home Movie. That song played "Lost without you" is so beautiful I wish I could find the full version somewhere. It's on a CD but I have to buy it on Ebay. Not bad, there may be other songs I like on that CD.

Were the home movies of Lucie, Desi Jr. and Lucy from 1969? What about when they were on Arthur Godfrey's farm?

I didn't understand that Australian promo.

Where did they always go skiing?

So far, I've seen these episodes (SPOILER WARNING):

Lucy and Flip Go Legit

Kim Hamilton's introduction was just great. She looks wonderful! Funny, I just saw her in an episode of "Leave It To Beaver" too.

Lucy and the Mountain Climber

Favorite part was Lucy losing her rope and the bear backing her out of the cave. LOL!

Lucy and the Italian Bombshell

Of course, being a Kaye Ballard fan, I was gleefully anticipating her climactic scene. When the first son comes out, the expression on his face is priceless. He was perfect!

Lucy and Mannix are Held Hostage

This episode was fun. Looking out the window at the office was the best.

Lucy and the Astronauts

LOVED this episode!!! The night scene of Lucy tucking everyone in bed was sweet and hysterical at the same time.

Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars

Also LOVED this episode but was sad to see Lucy's life savings go up in smoke. Didn't make sense to celebrate. They should have had the fire go out sooner. But I guess they needed it to keep going so the police could catch Harry in action.

Someone's on the Ski Lift with Dinah

Favorite episode so far! Dinah singing "Don't Let The Good Life Pass You By" was amazing! Also her reaction to Lucy was priceless. How great did they both look in this episode too? And how did Lucy manage to swing her skis over the bed so many times? Wonder how many times she practiced that.

Lucy and Her All-Nun Band

The final scene where the band plays was a blast to watch. Also thought the dialogue between Harry and Lucy about sisters, fathers, brothers and mothers was funny.

Lucy and the Celebrities

Poor Harry with his blind fold in this one. Rich Little was great though.

Won't You Calm Down, Dan Dailey?

Lucy and Dan Dailey tipping over in his office chair was LOL!!!!!! I had to re-watch it! Also loved the opening scene with Mary Jane and Vanda.

Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea

Another favorite! Best part: watching them do the Charleston!

Lucy Helps David Frost Go Night-Night

Awesome episode! The whole plane scene was a riot. I know some don't like it when Lucy acts annoying but I think it's hilarious.

That's where I'm at so far... :maryjane1:

So far, I've seen these episodes (SPOILER WARNING):

Lucy and Flip Go Legit

Kim Hamilton's introduction was just great. She looks wonderful! Funny, I just saw her in an episode of "Leave It To Beaver" too.

Lucy and the Mountain Climber

Favorite part was Lucy losing her rope and the bear backing her out of the cave. LOL!

Lucy and the Italian Bombshell

Of course, being a Kaye Ballard fan, I was gleefully anticipating her climactic scene. When the first son comes out, the expression on his face is priceless. He was perfect!

Lucy and Mannix are Held Hostage

This episode was fun. Looking out the window at the office was the best.

Lucy and the Astronauts

LOVED this episode!!! The night scene of Lucy tucking everyone in bed was sweet and hysterical at the same time.

Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars

Also LOVED this episode but was sad to see Lucy's life savings go up in smoke. Didn't make sense to celebrate. They should have had the fire go out sooner. But I guess they needed it to keep going so the police could catch Harry in action.

Someone's on the Ski Lift with Dinah

Favorite episode so far! Dinah singing "Don't Let The Good Life Pass You By" was amazing! Also her reaction to Lucy was priceless. How great did they both look in this episode too? And how did Lucy manage to swing her skis over the bed so many times? Wonder how many times she practiced that.

Lucy and Her All-Nun Band

The final scene where the band plays was a blast to watch. Also thought the dialogue between Harry and Lucy about sisters, fathers, brothers and mothers was funny.

Lucy and the Celebrities

Poor Harry with his blind fold in this one. Rich Little was great though.

Won't You Calm Down, Dan Dailey?

Lucy and Dan Dailey tipping over in his office chair was LOL!!!!!! I had to re-watch it! Also loved the opening scene with Mary Jane and Vanda.

Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea

Another favorite! Best part: watching them do the Charleston!

Lucy Helps David Frost Go Night-Night

Awesome episode! The whole plane scene was a riot. I know some don't like it when Lucy acts annoying but I think it's hilarious.

That's where I'm at so far... :maryjane1:

Won't be getting mine for another two weeks as beau's trip here was cancelled till then, i may GIVE IN and BUY a copy downtown on the weekend as patience has never been my strong suit.

I've watched about 5 episodes but before I give my reviews on those I just have a couple of questions.

Does anyone else have a green line across the top of the screen during the introductions?

What are these commercials some people are talking about? I don't have any commercials during my episodes.

Does anyone else think that the episodes for some reason are not as clear as previous seasons? Things just don't seem as clear, unless it's time for me to replace my contacts ;-)

My reviews so far are:

Flip: Not my favourite episode, was never a fan of this episode. It's ok though.

Mountain Climber: Has some very funny parts, mainly the drunken part

Italian: Fantastic and very funny from start to finish!

Mannix: It was well done and kept you in, but I didn't think it was necessarily funny

Astronauts: I didn't like the beginning but I love the part when they are in the capsule

Off to watch some more....................

Does anyone else have a green line across the top of the screen during the introductions?

What are these commercials some people are talking about? I don't have any commercials during my episodes.

Does anyone else think that the episodes for some reason are not as clear as previous seasons? Things just don't seem as clear, unless it's time for me to replace my contacts ;-)

The episodes look crystal clear to me, but I also have the weird green line...

:lucydisgust: I just had the pleasure of seeing those horrendous commercials! They first broadcast in the "Dinah" episode and they are terrible! It really does ruin the continuity of each scene! We should be able to have an option to watch it with or without like The Lucy Show! p.s - The Dinah episode is ok, it's not one of my favourites though.

Just watched the "Nun" episode. I loved it from the saxophone lesson to the end. The rest of it was pretty boring. I agree though with what someone else said that Mary Wickes wasn't really the right person to play the part of Harry's sister.

:lucydisgust: I just had the pleasure of seeing those horrendous commercials! They first broadcast in the "Dinah" episode and they are terrible! It really does ruin the continuity of each scene! We should be able to have an option to watch it with or without like The Lucy Show! p.s - The Dinah episode is ok, it's not one of my favourites though.

I also think they should give the option to watching original commercials- but I also think they add a very unique and nice touch of nostalgia.

Looking at some of these episodes kind of makes ya wonder "what were they thinking" or "what style of tv is this" but catching an episode

with the original commercials, puts you right back in the time of the shows.

And just as if we were to look at a video tape of Tv in the 90's and experiencing the warmth of a "the good Old days", is the same way I kind of feel when watching these commercials

Like the coca-cola commercial. Very 70's lol Very vintage and retro. I loved them,but like you said, they should be an option, as some people like to see the shows uninterrupted.

Good question Brock and I couldn't tell you, but she just seemed miscast for the first time ever!

Yeah, I agree. A lot of Wick's parts are funny when she becomes outlandish, or flustered or exaggerated in some way

or another, which is what makes her a good character actor on Lucy-but THIS character, almost ANY woman who fit in the part

could have played her, familiar to the public or not. The part was of a reserved nun-with not many jokes, so to put her in that position,

made the part a little underwhelming- Just when you thought she was going to get flustered, she was the nun she was cast to be- reserved.

Even in playing the big drum, she had a very small slapstick moment towards the end, when it was time to bow after the number, but that was a bit it.

So, I think Angie Schlump could have played that nun, but not Mary. Just my opinion.

Don't understand why the commercials couldn't be made optional. It was done before :( I love vintage commercials but I also like watching episodes without them.

My feelings exactly. I love that they went to a lot of trouble to include them but if i never see another commercial i will die a happy man, especially comemrcials for products from fifty years ago. Although any commercial with Lucy IN IT is a notable exception.

Archived