The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

Oh, please! Accommodate a revered guest?? It might be too much trouble! Didya notice how uncomfortable BW looked in those damn high chairs they use for seating?? And that she didn't get up and down to greet each guest once she was planted in the chair? Why in the world they couldn't make an exception for her and use a "regular" couch or facing chair set up as most other talk shows do so that she'd be comfortable is BEYOND me!! Ugh!

It would have been nice too if Regis had paid closer attention to what she was actually saying so that when she paid him a compliment on his outfit, he would have had the common courtesy to thank her. Putz!

lucythrill.JPG

Hasn't aired here yet but I'm sure Fallon will --as usual-- be fallin' (groan!) all over her. Here's hoping! ;)

Fallon at least accomodated her presence by playing Password with her which sure was nice. As for Reege, you are absolutely correct about everything, his idiot producer would never go to any extra trouble for Betty, only to take advantage of her for ratings, that's his specialty. Did you also notice at the end when Reege and Kelly usually take turns reading E Mails, he read them all and she just had to sit there and listen, when they were all about her in the first place. :angry::angry::angry:

Regis could have also refrained from asking Betty, "Do you rememnber so and so?" and "This and this happened. Do you remember that?" Give it up, Regis. You are only nine years younger than St. Bets.

And despite that age difference, she sure is a lot sharper than him brainwise. He is befuddled on a daily basis.

Regis could have also refrained from asking Betty, "Do you rememnber so and so?" and "This and this happened. Do you remember that?" Give it up, Regis. You are only nine years younger than St. Bets.

Well said, sir! I'm glad to find I'm not the only one who saw that he treated her so condescendingly. He can be quite full of himself at times and frankly, as much as I enjoy the Regis & Kelly duo and their "chemistry" for lack of a better word --- and no, they do NOT hate each other as Cuddles insists on suggesting -- perhaps it is indeed time for Reege to pack it in.

Get the hook! ;)

Well said, sir! I'm glad to find I'm not the only one who saw that he treated her so condescendingly. He can be quite full of himself at times and frankly, as much as I enjoy the Regis & Kelly duo and their "chemistry" for lack of a better word --- and no, they do NOT hate each other as Cuddles insists on suggesting -- perhaps it is indeed time for Reege to pack it in.

Get the hook! ;)

Why are you being so stubborn about this, do you not watch the show on a daily basis? They do NOT get along and tolerate each other for the sake of a paycheck, it's painfully obvious but they are told to pretend for the sake of ratings. It is also the reason Reege has only won the Emmy as host one time for this show, it was a year he had no regular co host with him and was on his own, he did not have to fake it. I also think the real reason he is leaving is his management asked for loads more money and they probably wanted to reduce his salary rather than increase it so he decided to leave instead.

Balderdash. She isn't going anywhere.

How the hell do you know? Dating her doctor or something? I know she always says she's been blessed with good health but there's never any guarantee about those thins you know. If she, God forbid, passed away, half the jobs in Hollywood would have nobody to do them. And i wasn't making any derogatory remark about her age, her early career was the early days of tv where she did a live show 5 hours a day, her middle career was MTM and GG and now the end of her career is HIC and movies and everything else. Certainly different from Lucy's where all she got offered were those lousy Hope specials.

How the hell do you know? Dating her doctor or something? I know she always says she's been blessed with good health but there's never any guarantee about those thins you know. If she, God forbid, passed away, half the jobs in Hollywood would have nobody to do them. And i wasn't making any derogatory remark about her age, her early career was the early days of tv where she did a live show 5 hours a day, her middle career was MTM and GG and now the end of her career is HIC and movies and everything else. Certainly different from Lucy's where all she got offered were those lousy Hope specials.

I always thought that when Life with Lucy failed, it broke her heart. I remember hearing she was talking about it on a talk show, and broke down crying. She passed away with a couple years. :(

Betty salutes Morgan Freeman and their not-so-hit movie Hard Rain! :marionstrong:

And sings Hello, Dolly!/Morgan! :HALKING:

"Let's all clap, Morgan."/"Even though you've made some crap, Morgan..."

"Holy shit, that's Clint! That's Clint! He's over there..." :marionstrong:

I always thought that when Life with Lucy failed, it broke her heart. I remember hearing she was talking about it on a talk show, and broke down crying. She passed away with a couple years. :(

It was on Joan Rivers' Fox show, she didn't cry but told the story of how much she had cried over the loss of that show and more importantly the fact that it seemed most people didn't want her back on tv. Headlines in newspapers saying The Queen is Dead, as opposed to Betty who gets all these job offers after doing a funny comemrcial and hosting SNL. When they heard she was dying, they finally offered the hosting job on SNL to Lucy also, too late, as usual.

Betty salutes Morgan Freeman and their not-so-hit movie Hard Rain! :marionstrong:

And sings Hello, Dolly!/Morgan! :HALKING:

"Let's all clap, Morgan."/"Even though you've made some crap, Morgan..."

"Holy shit, that's Clint! That's Clint! He's over there..." :marionstrong:

Hey, we finally found something Betty can't do, SHE CAN'T SING! On key, at least, LOL! It was just like Lucy and her Queen of the gypsies number, they all start singing to cover up her awful notes, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Post-nomination interview with Bets:

How did you take the news?

I’m still in shock. I’m so thrilled I can’t see straight!

Did you think you might score a nomination?

Not a chance! I didn’t even remember this was the day.

Your "Hot in Cleveland" costars didn't receive the recognition you did today, does that upset you?

You know [sighs heavily], Valerie [bertinelli], Wendie [Malick] and Jane [Leeves] -- I represent the four gals. I wish with all my heart one of them had done this -– there’s no way of separating us. I think somebody made a big mistake. We’re having the best time on the show. It’s the happiest set I’ve ever been on. This is such a thrill.

I’m going to be 90 in January and to get this thrill now, I can’t be coy about it. Cloris [Leachman] is still way ahead of me, though.

How will you spend the rest of the day?

I’m going to take my Pontiac -- that’s my golden retriever -- to the vet, he has an appointment. No champagne brunch for me. But I’ll be sitting and smiling all day.

How did your role evolve?

You know, she’s not a very nice lady -- she’s just the broad the other gals got stuck with when they moved to Cleveland. I did the pilot with the idea that I wouldn’t get involved if it got picked up. You do so many pilots and they hardly ever get picked up. But I did the pilot and had such a wonderful time with the girls. So when we got picked up, I’d had such a wonderful time, I said, "Sure, I’ll do a couple more." I have the backbone of a jellyfish!

What's the atmosphere on set like?

There’s not even slightly any competition. I hear these horror stories -- sets where people don’t speak except when the cameras are rolling. How do you do comedy if you don’t enjoy each other? One hazard is we’re all prone to break-ups … we get hysterical with laughing easily. We hang out together. We laugh and we talk and we enjoy being together. Every week. It’s a privilege.

Also, it’s such a great break to be doing it in front of a live audience. For a while, multicamera shows in front of a live audience were starting to go away. I can’t tell you what the audience adds. It changes our timing completely.

What else lies ahead for you?

I’ll be 90 in January! I’m working on another book -- this one’s about the L.A. Zoo and my friends there: my four-legged friends. It’s a [nonfiction] picture book. I’ve been working with the zoo as a volunteer and board member for 40 years. A lot of the animals are personal friends.

And I have a new game show. I’m executive producing and introducing the various sketches. It was a big hit in Europe and they asked me to do it here. It’s older people getting the jump on younger ones and getting the last laugh!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/awards/2011/07/emmys-betty-white-im-so-thrilled-i-cant-see-straight.html