The New Favourite Lucy Photos Thread! (Vol. 2)

Brock

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or WHO THE HELL WROTE THIS SCRIPT. :)

BTW I am a huge fan of Mame but I'll be the first to say it was written poorly.

Come on now, A L L musicals have poor scripts, the story's not usually the focal point, the music soundtrack is. And MAME had a great story, it's just that it had no comedy in it.

Come on now, A L L musicals have poor scripts, the story's not usually the focal point, the music soundtrack is. And MAME had a great story, it's just that it had no comedy in it.

You are forgetting how well written The Rocky Horror Picture Show is! Oh wait...

You do have a point there though. But look at movies like Sweeney Todd, Moulin Rouge, Grease, hmmm. Great scripts in my opinion.

You are forgetting how well written The Rocky Horror Picture Show is! Oh wait...

You do have a point there though. But look at movies like Sweeney Todd, Moulin Rouge, Grease, hmmm. Great scripts in my opinion.

I'm saying the musical score is way more important than the script anyway. And sweeney todd had one lousy score.

Blasphemous nonsense! :lucyshock: :lucyshock: Did it scare you off meat pies, or something?

Ok, name one song that was a monster HIT from that show. I gave up after twenty minutes when attempting to watch the movie version. Or have aunt sheilah lantzburied screech yuo a tune from it, although i did think she looked like Lucy doing the CHUTZPAH number with Carol.

Can't think of one if I don't know what your definition of "monster hit" is. ;)

OMG, any song that gets a lot of airplay, is featured on shows and people always say that it came from this or that show on Broadway. I just checked and this score by Sondheim is typical highbrow but nothing hummable, LOL! :lucythrill: I wasn't thinking number one i was thinking Hey, Look Me Over is a hit from Wildcat, always associated with that show, know what i mean Vern? The songs from Sweeney are in the vein of HOW ABOUT A SIRLOIN, IT'S OUR OLD MAILMAN IRVING!

OMG, any song that gets a lot of airplay, is featured on shows and people always say that it came from this or that show on Broadway. I just checked and this score by Sondheim is typical highbrow but nothing hummable, LOL! :lucythrill: I wasn't thinking number one i was thinking Hey, Look Me Over is a hit from Wildcat, always associated with that show, know what i mean Vern? The songs from Sweeney are in the vein of HOW ABOUT A SIRLOIN, IT'S OUR OLD MAILMAN IRVING!

Hit songs from Broadway shows are almost unheard of since the rise of rock 'n' roll and the death of TV variety shows.

"Not While I'm Around" has had considerable life after the show.

Hit songs from Broadway shows are almost unheard of since the rise of rock 'n' roll and the death of TV variety shows.

Sondheim is such a sophisticate, all his songs are quite highbrow, not the hummable type, hence my remark. Remember that great TONY tribute to 3 songwriters of which he was one of the three . . . the great Bea Arthur comes out in the Jerry Herman part and bitches that MAME was originally called VERA, but that Jerry said nothing rhymed with Vera. But she adds with a smirk, SONDHEIM COULD HAVE DONE IT! :lucythrill:

"Not While I'm Around" has had considerable life after the show.

Well, there ya go, you have found the ONE major hit song from that show. I love that song, Streisand does it in her show as a tribute to her son Jason. Funny, when i wiki'd the show, i must have missed the listing of that one.

I LOVE that song, and always enjoy singing it, too. :D

How about "Ladies Who Lunch"?? "Memories" from Cats? :lucysmirk:

Speaking of Ladies who lunch, done so well by the great Elaine Stritch, Greg in Hollywood is featuring IN PERFORMANCE AT THE WHITE HOUSE from 2010, a one hour show again featuring Elaine who does another great standard, I'M STILL HERE! Absolutely sensational. Shirley MacLaine did it in Postcards from the edge, but Elaine who never sings that well, is just a powerhouse who does it in her own way and brought down the house. Another great example of someone whose personality and endurance surpasses her singing ability. Ever see her do I`M JUST A BROADWAY BABY, one of my all time faves.

I LOVE that song, and always enjoy singing it, too. :D

How about "Ladies Who Lunch"?? "Memories" from Cats? :lucysmirk:

Brock mentionned Send in the Clowns as the last and possibly only hit song from a Broadway musical in the last fifty years, balderdash, Memory from Cats was way bigger and there have been plenty of hits, anybody remember the shows CABARET or CHICAGO to name but two shows that supplied us with a load of great songs.

Brock mentionned Send in the Clowns as the last and possibly only hit song from a Broadway musical in the last fifty years, balderdash, Memory from Cats was way bigger and there have been plenty of hits, anybody remember the shows CABARET or CHICAGO to name but two shows that supplied us with a load of great songs.

Only musical today that is easily recognized by everyone is Grease. I still hear the songs on the radio.

I'll give you Cabaret, but what hit songs came out of Chicago (which I love)? All That Jazz is catchy but it has hardly become a standard.

There is also I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miz which is due to have a resurgence with the new film...and due to Susan Boyle.

Archived