Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My DVD set arrived this morning and after a 14 hour day I haven’t had a chance to go through it in depth yet, but I decided to book myself a Lucille Carter-length coffee break to tackle the special features. They are spectacular!

I haven’t watched Dinah! in its entirety or the syndicated promos yet, but the guys at GAB have outdone themselves on the Treasures from Lucy’s Vault section. While we have the standard home movies – this time Lucy and the kids on a trip to Disneyland complete with a ride on the teacups – as good as they are, the real showpieces here are the two Mame special features. I’m not sure why they haven’t trumpeted these up more, but they’re incredible.

The first is a fascinating interview on the Mame “set” – although it appears to have been completed significantly after the post production, but Lucy is wearing her Peckerwood riding togs – with a Detroit host. It is so interesting (and just a little bit sad) to watch how excited Lucy is about the film and as the host goes on (“Good luck with your mouth!”) the more it becomes clear how disappointed Lucy is that the film is not everything she hoped it would be. The affection Lucy and Gary had for each other is clear here too, although Morton is not seen on camera it is clear she is looking over to him at a couple of points.

He second Mame matter are two on-set “commercials” for Milton Bradley. I put that word in quotation marks because they’re not commercials per se, but advertising spots for trade shows. The ads are for Solotaire and Pivot Pool and although not as good as the earlier Milton Bradley ads featuring Lucy, Mary Jane, Vanda, etc., they were a delightful surprise and a cross-over promotion I never even knew existed.

After earlier DVD spotlights on Gale and Desi IV, Lucie finally has the spotlight shone on her in a wonderful featurette. Although I don’t think I will ever fully understand Lucie’s fondness for featuring clips from Tennessee Ernie’s Fun Farm in her various endeavours, the piece is a great insight into what she learned on the set from her mother, as well as from Viv, and her favourite moments in the show and why. As a special bonus, it features a great clip of Lucie, Desi Jr., and Viv on the Kraft Music Hall.

Although it is great to see the Savings Bond episode in its entirety – and in colour, yet! – on this set, I was surprised to see the public service announcement listed along side it was not the Saving Bond piece itself, but the PSA Lucy and Lucie did for women’s health. A link to the PSA online on an obscure online archive was posted here a while ago. It was great to see it included here and very fitting...although Lucie’s pose throughout the add is sort of funny. LOL

Tonight I watched the three episodes on Disk Four – each one a HL classic! – and Lucie and Carole Cook’s intro to Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball is a riot. It’s Carole’s final HL intro and she certainly makes the most of it.

Going backwards to Disk 3, I’m now watching Lucy take a wee walk in Lucy, The Bird Sitter.

I’ll have mine it in my pretty little hands after five tonight but I have a few questions. Did they by chance get Joan Rivers to do the intro to her episode? That would have been marvy.

The Kraft Music Hall show. Is this the one they did with their dad and Bernadette Peters? I would love to see this whole episode some time as I am a fan of Peters as well.

Looking forward to the Lucie segment.

Trying to plan what episodes I want to watch tonight. I’ve only ever seen a handful of them. I think I’ll go for Lucy is NG as an RN, as it is talked about so much as being a best of series pick. Next Where is My Wandering Mother, Lucy meets Lucille Ball, even though I have seen it, the intro has peaked my interest and out of morbid curiosity the OJ episode.

My DVD set arrived this morning and after a 14 hour day I haven’t had a chance to go through it in depth yet, but I decided to book myself a Lucille Carter-length coffee break to tackle the special features. They are spectacular!

I haven’t watched Dinah! in its entirety or the syndicated promos yet, but the guys at GAB have outdone themselves on the Treasures from Lucy’s Vault section. While we have the standard home movies – this time Lucy and the kids on a trip to Disneyland complete with a ride on the teacups – as good as they are, the real showpieces here are the two Mame special features. I’m not sure why they haven’t trumpeted these up more, but they’re incredible.

The first is a fascinating interview on the Mame “set” – although it appears to have been completed significantly after the post production, but Lucy is wearing her Peckerwood riding togs – with a Detroit host. It is so interesting (and just a little bit sad) to watch how excited Lucy is about the film and as the host goes on (“Good luck with your mouth!”) the more it becomes clear how disappointed Lucy is that the film is not everything she hoped it would be. The affection Lucy and Gary had for each other is clear here too, although Morton is not seen on camera it is clear she is looking over to him at a couple of points.

He second Mame matter are two on-set “commercials” for Milton Bradley. I put that word in quotation marks because they’re not commercials per se, but advertising spots for trade shows. The ads are for Solotaire and Pivot Pool and although not as good as the earlier Milton Bradley ads featuring Lucy, Mary Jane, Vanda, etc., they were a delightful surprise and a cross-over promotion I never even knew existed.

After earlier DVD spotlights on Gale and Desi IV, Lucie finally has the spotlight shone on her in a wonderful featurette. Although I don’t think I will ever fully understand Lucie’s fondness for featuring clips from Tennessee Ernie’s Fun Farm in her various endeavours, the piece is a great insight into what she learned on the set from her mother, as well as from Viv, and her favourite moments in the show and why. As a special bonus, it features a great clip of Lucie, Desi Jr., and Viv on the Kraft Music Hall.

Although it is great to see the Savings Bond episode in its entirety – and in colour, yet! – on this set, I was surprised to see the public service announcement listed along side it was not the Saving Bond piece itself, but the PSA Lucy and Lucie did for women’s health. A link to the PSA online on an obscure online archive was posted here a while ago. It was great to see it included here and very fitting...although Lucie’s pose throughout the add is sort of funny. LOL

Tonight I watched the three episodes on Disk Four – each one a HL classic! – and Lucie and Carole Cook’s intro to Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball is a riot. It’s Carole’s final HL intro and she certainly makes the most of it.

Going backwards to Disk 3, I’m now watching Lucy take a wee walk in Lucy, The Bird Sitter.

I've watched most of the extras and I gotta say, the U.S. Savings Bond thang was booorrrrring. And I did see the PSA they did on YouTube a long time ago so I skipped that part. I just can't hack watching Lucy talk about getting your vah-jay-jay looked at again. I don't want her discussing vaginas at all on my DVD. LMAO :lucyhaha:

LOOOOOVED the Dinah! interview. I will watch that again and again. Funny though, they didn't have the King of Siam story in this one like they do on YouTube. So they didn't put all the interview in, which torks me off a bit. :lucyeww: And DeDe's voice is a bit higher than I'd expected. They didn't let her talk much though. Dinah kept interrupting, the bitch. LOL

LOOOOVED the Dinah! interview. I will watch that again and again. Funny though, they didn't have the King of Siam story in this one like they do on YouTube. So they didn't put all the interview in, which torks me off a bit. :lucyeww: And DeDe's voice is a bit higher than I'd expected. They didn't let her talk much though. Dinah kept interrupting, the bitch. LOL

Why do you think Burt Reynolds left her, he could never get a word in ETCHWISE!

GAB once again outdid themselves with this set! They really went out with a bang. The onset Mame interview was great, although the interviewer (anyone know who he was? Perhaps a local Detroit personality?) really needed to have a talk with his mouth. I loved the Milton Bradley bits. It was terrific to finally see the Savings Bond show complete. I really enjoyed that. The intros were once again excellent with Ryan MacDonald's for "Lucy and Chuck Connors Have a Surprise Slumber Party" being particularly nice. They also did a great job with the Dinah! highlights.

"Lucy the Peacemaker" and "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon" are two episodes this season that only had edited versions released in syndication. Whoever edited "Lucy the Peacemaker" was clearly not an Eydie Gorme fan since a majority of what ended up on the cutting room floor featured her. It was nice to finally see this one unedited. It plays a lot better. I'm looking forward to finally see Gale actually speak in "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon!" All of his lines are cut from the syndicated version.

The Kraft Music Hall show. Is this the one they did with their dad and Bernadette Peters? I would love to see this whole episode some time as I am a fan of Peters as well.

Unfortunately, the complete Kraft Music Hall show is lost. The only parts known to exist are the brief excerpt with Viv and the kids seen on the DVD and an even lower quality segment of Lucie and Desi's "We'll Build a Bungalow" number.

GAB once again outdid themselves with this set! They really went out with a bang. The onset Mame interview was great, although the interviewer (anyone know who he was? Perhaps a local Detroit personality?) really needed to have a talk with his mouth. I loved the Milton Bradley bits. It was terrific to finally see the Savings Bond show complete. I really enjoyed that. The intros were once again excellent with Ryan MacDonald's for "Lucy and Chuck Connors Have a Surprise Slumber Party" being particularly nice. They also did a great job with the Dinah! highlights.

"Lucy the Peacemaker" and "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon" are two episodes this season that only had edited versions released in syndication. Whoever edited "Lucy the Peacemaker" was clearly not an Eydie Gorme fan since a majority of what ended up on the cutting room floor featured her. It was nice to finally see this one unedited. It plays a lot better. I'm looking forward to finally see Gale actually speak in "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon!" All of his lines are cut from the syndicated version.

Unfortunately, the complete Kraft Music Hall show is lost. The only parts known to exist are the brief excerpt with Viv and the kids seen on the DVD and an even lower quality segment of Lucie and Desi's "We'll Build a Bungalow" number.

Why all the comments on the interviewers' mouth?

I tore open the Amazon mailer on my DVD set like it was Christmas morning.

Dinah!

I’m hoping we got all the good stuff and what was left on the cutting room floor wasn't that hot. As we know the King of Siam story got cut, but that’s okay since it is on YouTube.

This was the first time I ever heard DeDe speak. She had a much higher voice then what I was expecting. The hug Lucy gives Viv and how they sit on the couch shows how much Lucy really loved Viv. The way this show is described in The Lucy Book makes Viv sound like she is being a total bitch to Lucy and this is not what I saw.

When Zsa Zsa was asked when she first met Lucy I had some sort of sixth sense that she was going to mention George Sanders. I didn't think that was all she would mention was George Sanders. She really played that up while it seemed like Lucy was desperately trying to down play it. Makes me wonder if there was really something between them. The only other person I recall seeing mention George was Herbie, but we all know how much he liked to trash Lucy.

Lucy mentions some sort of painting she prayed her kids would look like and a picture that Viv gave her that made the kids look like this. What was the name/type of the painting? Also I take it that they showed this picture earlier in the show but that was part of the cut segment. Would anyone know if we have ever seen this picture (that Viv gave)?

Tennessee Ernie Sketch:

Lucy looks beautiful in the opening. The segment on the other hand I was glad to see, but it started off pretty slow.

Lucie Spotlight:

Very nice. I had heard Lucie mention it before and she does here, that she never had any dance training and got it all on the show. I always thought she was in dance class her whole life, never would have guessed. This segment really showed how much her character developed over those six years and how much she really grew up.

Sad to hear that so much of the Kraft Music Hall show has been lost. I was wondering why they did not show the “We’ll Build a Bungalow” number but showed the lead up scene. Now this makes sense. This was one of those specials I really wanted to see.

Mame interview:

Lucy always strikes me as having two personalities in interviews. Animated, bold, brash, straight forward and more reserved, humble. This one was the later. She looked marvelous in her riding gear but that host could have been better with his questions. I found it so odd that after all his admiration was given to her, he starts off his Mame questions with, the critics think the second half of the movie is a bore. What? Ask her some questions about making it, not wow that was a great title number but then it just sucked. I tend to agree with Brock that she does come off a little sad about it not getting the reaction she had hoped for, but I also think she may have just been really tired by this point. Lucy said she had done around 260 interviews by that point. That’s a lot of press.

Home Movies:

Lucy’s hair was really red, wow. This was pretty cute and can you imagine going to Disneyland now in a dress. I would have never thought two people at the height of their fame could have gone to such a public place such as this and have been able to actually enjoy themselves. It looks like they had an official Disney guide with them. Even now celebrities have official guides take them and their kids through the parks. What I didn't really see were huge crowds around them. Even your D list Reality Star couldn't go through Disney now without a massive crowd following them.

On to some of the episodes:

Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball- I had seen this before but not a clear copy of it. Nice to be able to see all the pictures. I believe all of them were from Mame with a few exceptions. Gary, Lucy as Chaplin from Lucy Show, Claude’s favorite 60’s photos hanging on the wall. In the interior room there is a picture of Lucy and DeDe on the back table. The big painting in the 2nd room, was this the painting Lucy had at home and there is also a picture of her and Gary with it?

Where is My Wondering Mother Tonight- I didn't think someone who only broke her leg a year before could put herself into the lotus position let alone do such great comedy while in it. Jack Donahue was pretty funny in this episode. He must have not made much of an impact in other episodes where he showed up.

Lucy and OJ- Just sort of weird watching this knowing the future.

Lucy is NG as an RN- Mary Jane cracks me up. If Harry had hurt his knee so bad he should not be up walking all over. Aren’t Lucy and animals adorable?

I tore open the Amazon mailer on my DVD set like it was Christmas morning.

Dinah!

I’m hoping we got all the good stuff and what was left on the cutting room floor wasn't that hot. As we know the King of Siam story got cut, but that’s okay since it is on YouTube.

This was the first time I ever heard DeDe speak. She had a much higher voice then what I was expecting. The hug Lucy gives Viv and how they sit on the couch shows how much Lucy really loved Viv. The way this show is described in The Lucy Book makes Viv sound like she is being a total bitch to Lucy and this is not what I saw.

When Zsa Zsa was asked when she first met Lucy I had some sort of sixth sense that she was going to mention George Sanders. I didn't think that was all she would mention was George Sanders. She really played that up while it seemed like Lucy was desperately trying to down play it. Makes me wonder if there was really something between them. The only other person I recall seeing mention George was Herbie, but we all know how much he liked to trash Lucy.

Lucy mentions some sort of painting she prayed her kids would look like and a picture that Viv gave her that made the kids look like this. What was the name/type of the painting? Also I take it that they showed this picture earlier in the show but that was part of the cut segment. Would anyone know if we have ever seen this picture (that Viv gave)?

Tennessee Ernie Sketch:

Lucy looks beautiful in the opening. The segment on the other hand I was glad to see, but it started off pretty slow.

Lucie Spotlight:

Very nice. I had heard Lucie mention it before and she does here, that she never had any dance training and got it all on the show. I always thought she was in dance class her whole life, never would have guessed. This segment really showed how much her character developed over those six years and how much she really grew up.

Sad to hear that so much of the Kraft Music Hall show has been lost. I was wondering why they did not show the “We’ll Build a Bungalow” number but showed the lead up scene. Now this makes sense. This was one of those specials I really wanted to see.

Mame interview:

Lucy always strikes me as having two personalities in interviews. Animated, bold, brash, straight forward and more reserved, humble. This one was the later. She looked marvelous in her riding gear but that host could have been better with his questions. I found it so odd that after all his admiration was given to her, he starts off his Mame questions with, the critics think the second half of the movie is a bore. What? Ask her some questions about making it, not wow that was a great title number but then it just sucked. I tend to agree with Brock that she does come off a little sad about it not getting the reaction she had hoped for, but I also think she may have just been really tired by this point. Lucy said she had done around 260 interviews by that point. That’s a lot of press.

Home Movies:

Lucy’s hair was really red, wow. This was pretty cute and can you imagine going to Disneyland now in a dress. I would have never thought two people at the height of their fame could have gone to such a public place such as this and have been able to actually enjoy themselves. It looks like they had an official Disney guide with them. Even now celebrities have official guides take them and their kids through the parks. What I didn't really see were huge crowds around them. Even your D list Reality Star couldn't go through Disney now without a massive crowd following them.

On to some of the episodes:

Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball- I had seen this before but not a clear copy of it. Nice to be able to see all the pictures. I believe all of them were from Mame with a few exceptions. Gary, Lucy as Chaplin from Lucy Show, Claude’s favorite 60’s photos hanging on the wall. In the interior room there is a picture of Lucy and DeDe on the back table. The big painting in the 2nd room, was this the painting Lucy had at home and there is also a picture of her and Gary with it?

Where is My Wondering Mother Tonight- I didn't think someone who only broke her leg a year before could put herself into the lotus position let alone do such great comedy while in it. Jack Donahue was pretty funny in this episode. He must have not made much of an impact in other episodes where he showed up.

Lucy and OJ- Just sort of weird watching this knowing the future.

Lucy is NG as an RN- Mary Jane cracks me up. If Harry had hurt his knee so bad he should not be up walking all over. Aren’t Lucy and animals adorable?

Man you're good at this sort of thing. Great review, great comments. I forget which star said they saw Lucy and her family one time at Disneyland. So true about the jerk and The Lucy Book, i love it as a reference book but he is so far off on some things. One can tell when reading anything you post how much INNER knowledge you have of the whole LUCY saga. I dunno why Lucy was so secretive about her past affairs, guess it didn't fit her General Foods image or something.

Archived