OFFICIAL 5th SEASON "LUCY SHOW" ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

JoeySanJoaquin

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got Mine!!!!!!! :lucythrill: Target had it :) I ran there after work.

I called Target yesterday and asked if they had it. The person told me they only had the best of I Love Lucy DVD set. Knowing how people get confused between the two series, I went to Target (despite fighting with the flu) and lo and behold they had season five of The Lucy Show. I picked it up and later during the day I watched four episodes (three on disc 1 and one on disc 2). So far, I have watched ten episodes and I am currently watching the edited episode, "Lucy and Pat Collins".

If you folks need to refer to the Pat Collins episode as "the edited episode" and other such descriptions, I suggest you not bother to buy this stellar set -- or return it if you have, along with your reason why -- and watch your crappy public domain versions instead. Jesus!

:lucyeww:

Joseph, being such a purist about them always being in black and white and never in color, you, of all people, should be able to understand how most people want these EXACTLY as they were first seen, C O M P L E T E ! Even though i agree with what you said, i also see the other side in this particular case.

I'm with Joey. Be happy for the great set we have. The promo at the end of LIL reminded how crappy my vhs copy was and how watching it this time was like seeing it new.

Hey, i said i agreed with Joey too BUT i can understand the nitpickers and their complaints, how difficult is it to show things EXACTLY as they were first shown? But i so agree with you about the pristine condition of the shows that i really could not care less about this missing scene or whatever else. Like i said, i see BOTH sides of this situation.

But people are paying good money for what should be 100% complete.

Mark...if you want to know the actual truth, people are NOT paying the price it WOULD cost... if the studios paid the exorbitant fees the music world demands these days. It is a tired old discussion, but very, very real and oh, so damned legal. The shame is now everyone has their hand out for compensation to their work...and legally, it's justified. "Lucy in London" was NOT about to come out because of these huge music fees....but someone in charge said yes to the expense. It's now out and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to them...even if it were in tact or not...which I believe in this case....is.

NO CONSUMER is about to pay $50-75 or more for these individual DVD sets (which is about what we would all have to fork over) to justify the cost for the studio to pay these music fees and clearances. Legally, they have to say that the sets are 'edited' with even the minutest of music missing or even having somewhat different music that the original broadcast. The average person would never know. BUT, they do it because the studios simply do not want to incur further expenses for the clearance and new rights.

As a fan (and as someone who works with the guys to put the extra materials out there) please understand that it is ALWAYS the gamble the studios take...to make back their money for all of their investments.

IT IS CLEARLY A BUSINESS FIRST and to be 100% honest....they owe 'us' nothing. It is the diligence of Tom Watson and crew and the 'powers that be' that argue it out and bless us with these beautiful sets...100% complete or not.

I personally can be a purist too, but I would rather have what we have now then no sets at all.

Just one man's opinion.

Mark...if you want to know the actual truth, people are NOT paying the price it WOULD cost... if the studios paid the exorbitant fees the music world demands these days. It is a tired old discussion, but very, very real and oh, so damned legal. The shame is now everyone has their hand out for compensation to their work...and legally, it's justified. "Lucy in London" was NOT about to come out because of these huge music fees....but someone in charge said yes to the expense. It's now out and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to them...even if it were in tact or not...which I believe in this case....is.

NO CONSUMER is about to pay $50-75 or more for these individual DVD sets (which is about what we would all have to fork over) to justify the cost for the studio to pay these music fees and clearances. Legally, they have to say that the sets are 'edited' with even the minutest of music missing or even having somewhat different music that the original broadcast. The average person would never know. BUT, they do it because the studios simply do not want to incur further expenses for the clearance and new rights.

As a fan (and as someone who works with the guys to put the extra materials out there) please understand that it is ALWAYS the gamble the studios take...to make back their money for all of their investments.

IT IS CLEARLY A BUSINESS FIRST and to be 100% honest....they owe 'us' nothing. It is the diligence of Tom Watson and crew and the 'powers that be' that argue it out and bless us with these beautiful sets...100% complete or not.

I personally can be a purist too, but I would rather have what we have now then no sets at all.

Just one man's opinion.

So, did the music people waive their rights or reduce their price or was it some generous benefactor who sprang for the money needed?

Pat Collin's act seems like a COMPLETE phony to me. And her quips! Oy! Pat seems so fixated on her chest. "The more you applaud, the bigger my boobs get."...

Did Milt decided to write some blue material?

Pat's gotten a bit more zaftig in the intervening 15 years, giving another meaning to the "Hip" Hypnotist moniker

. I'm sure she's had to have her mink coat let out!

With all the talk about Pat Collins on here, I found a clip from her 1981 20th Anniversary Special. Much more risque than her show with Lucy, but funny (albeit seemingly very staged, but that may just be me)

Maybe it's different in America, but here in the UK when we pay good hard earned money for "official" seasons we expect uncut episodes, or at least some sort of explanation as to why they are cut. And seeing as it seems that PD releaseas have the missing material makes it even more frustrating. We Brits are grateful for the release of classic archive TV, but we don't take things lying down when material is lazily released.

If you folks need to refer to the Pat Collins episode as "the edited episode" and other such descriptions, I suggest you not bother to buy this stellar set -- or return it if you have, along with your reason why -- and watch your crappy public domain versions instead. Jesus!

:lucyeww:

Sorry if the truth hurts but this season does HAVE an edited episode in it. I wasn't aware of that until I read a review. AND I still bought it! One edited episode didn't stop me from purchasing it. It's life. It can't always be perfect or exactly the way we want. However, I do feel people should be aware of this BEFORE they go out and buy this set.

Anyways, I am LOVING this set to pieces ... it has the same quality as the previous sets. The DVD producers did a beautiful job on it. Hopefully they will go out with a bang with season six!

I posted this a little while ago, maybe no one noticed, or is this just an impossibility>

I don't mean to minimize the great job the producers of these sets are doing, but an edited episode is not good. I wonder if a replacement program could be instituted where a new disc with the complete episode could be mailed to us. Those that don't mind the missing minute can keep the sets they have, and those that would like the episode complete could get it. Provided it's possible, I'd really like that.

Yes, over the years i have heard nothing but great things about those two...

And from personal experience, you will never hear anything but wonderful, great things about Frank & Wanda. They are just decent, loving, down-to-earth folks that did their jobs well. No wonder they stayed employed until their boss's death...but by that time, though, they were still employees, they were simply part of the family.

And from personal experience, you will never hear anything but wonderful, great things about Frank & Wanda. They are just decent, loving, down-to-earth folks that did their jobs well. No wonder they stayed employed until their boss's death...but by that time, though, they were still employees, they were simply part of the family.

Exactly, class acts both. :D

I have to pinch myself that Wanda actually remembers some 30+ years later -- without prompting -- this much-larger version (not to mention much grayer!) of a young, naive twentysomething who would schlepp from Central CA to Hollywood every summer with his then best friend to descend upon the LB production offices, hoping to get a glimpse of you-know-who! She was the consummate professional, always kind and polite, never rude and always lovely. I've never forgotten her many kindnesses (guess who got to hold one of those Emmys!!! HALKING.gif) and it's always a treat to see her. Thank you for everything Mrs. Stamatovich! ;)

Exactly, class acts both. :D

I have to pinch myself that Wanda actually remembers some 30+ years later -- without prompting -- this much-larger version (not to mention much grayer!) of a young, naive twentysomething who would schlepp from Central CA to Hollywood every summer with his then best friend to descend upon the LB production offices, hoping to get a glimpse of you-know-who! She was the consummate professional, always kind and polite, never rude and always lovely. I've never forgotten her many kindnesses (guess who got to hold one of those Emmys!!! HALKING.gif) and it's always a treat to see her. Thank you for everything Mrs. Stamatovich! ;)

Maybe Wanda even handled my 18 page fan letter to Lucy????? What year did she start working for her?

Archived