OFFICIAL 5th SEASON "LUCY SHOW" ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

JoeySanJoaquin

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know exactly whats edited out of Lucy and Pat Collins? Is this the first edit of the series so far??

The review says that some of the music cues are edited out, which is odd considering that the public domain version of this episode includes these edited out music cues.

The bar has been set pretty high but it's possible the Season 5 set is the BEST ever. Tom and Jonathan have done a tremendous job. What people don't realize that in different hands we'd be getting the episodes and nothing else. All the extras included are there because these two guys are trying to preserve history for the rest of us. Imagine: the entire season, all these other miscellaneous extras and LIL lovingly preserved. But wait! There's more! An original production about the making of LIL.......We owe these guys a lot. With the DVD industry the way it is, it's doubtful there's big bucks in presenting a set that's already been public-domained to death.

Season 5 has grown on me. If you have to divide the 22 episodes into 'good and bad', I would rate them 16:good and 6:bad. I give Pat Collins and Viv Visits a qualified 'good'. "Pat"'s opening scene in the salon is great. Lucy at her very best. The nightclub scene holds promise, but it just lays there. (Hypnotized into thinking they're Laurel and Hardy??). Although I do enjoy non-actress Pat with her cotton candy hair and novelty glasses. "Viv" is great up until their anachronistic Sunset Strip scene, with its condescending view of the counter culture--embraced, sort of, in LIL.

And speaking of anachronisms: you have to give them credit for trying something different with "Main Street", but its rosy-glassed depiction small town Americana is more 1910 than 1967. I give this a 'good', but a 'bad' for Main Street 2 ('On the Map') because it seems to have been made solely to recoup some the costs of this special set.

To really get the picture of how far this series had strayed from its original concept, imagine dumping these episodes into season 1 and substituting Danfield for Bancroft!

The review says that some of the music cues are edited out, which is odd considering that the public domain version of this episode includes these edited out music cues.

Let me get this straight ... the opening credits for discs 1 and 2 is the jack-in-the-box opening?

Thats right.

Having watching the PD episodes a million times I wasn't phased about watching them in this disc set but I am really enjoying them :)

The discs and bonuses are awesome and defo worth getting even tho we have the PD episodes already.

To be honest I watched the Pat Collins episode when I went to bed and didn't notice what was missing but that could have been cos I was falling asleep LOL

And we finally get to see Carole Cook's brief scene as "Aunt Carey" in "Main Street on the Map". The strange thing is that I can't find her in crowd of Bancroft citizens, a strange mix of local yokels and that clean-cut and well-rehearsed dancing troop. Carole's voice stands out in the "Mainstreet" song (particularly in "There's Farmer Brown..who came to town"), and she's there in costume, so WHERE is she?

Am I the only who finds Mel Torme bilious? Yes, he's talented but every gesture and line reading says "I'm so cool."

"Bilious" is a word Irma used to describe Sid Gould (according to some quote I remember). So this episode is 'double-bilious' with Mel AND Sid who's decked out like a cartoon farmer as if he's on his way to a Borsht Belt hoedown-themed costume party.

Someone needs to set this sitcomonline reviewer straight. He devotes too much print space to his "AHA!" discover of 'missing footage', apparently some unimportant and very brief music bridge in a so-so episode "Pat Collins" as if to forewarn us that we're being duped into buying unedited episodes and his sleuthing has uncovered the 'truth'. This smacks of someone who's just looking for something to gripe about. He does give the set high marks, but why even bring this up? And if he must, one sentence would be plenty..and he should add 'you're not missing ANYTHING.' He doesn't get that we're lucky this was released at all, that CBS is not making enough money to pay for trivial music rights that NO ONE other than malcontents is going to notice.

He misses the appeal of "LIL"...Could it be that like the under-rated and under-apprecited "Lucy Gets Lucky", the fact that a laugh track is also missing here makes it seem less enjoyable to those that are used to being told what's entertaining?

Seeing these episodes crystal clear as opposed to the glacoma-fogged PD prints is a real treat.

And we finally get to see Carole Cook's brief scene as "Aunt Carey" in "Main Street on the Map". The strange thing is that I can't find her in crowd of Bancroft citizens, a strange mix of local yokels and that clean-cut and well-rehearsed dancing troop. Carole's voice stands out in the "Mainstreet" song (particularly in "There's Farmer Brown..who came to town"), and she's there in costume, so WHERE is she?

Am I the only who finds Mel Torme bilious? Yes, he's talented but every gesture and line reading says "I'm so cool."

"Bilious" is a word Irma used to describe Sid Gould (according to some quote I remember). So this episode is 'double-bilious' with Mel AND Sid who's decked out like a cartoon farmer as if he's on his way to a Borsht Belt hoedown-themed costume party.

Someone needs to set this sitcomonline reviewer straight. He devotes too much print space to his "AHA!" discover of 'missing footage', apparently some unimportant and very brief music bridge in a so-so episode "Pat Collins" as if to forewarn us that we're being duped into buying unedited episodes and his sleuthing has uncovered the 'truth'. This smacks of someone who's just looking for something to gripe about. He does give the set high marks, but why even bring this up? And if he must, one sentence would be plenty..and he should add 'you're not missing ANYTHING.' He doesn't get that we're lucky this was released at all, that CBS is not making enough money to pay for trivial music rights that NO ONE other than malcontents is going to notice.

He misses the appeal of "LIL"...Could it be that like the under-rated and under-apprecited "Lucy Gets Lucky", the fact that a laugh track is also missing here makes it seem less enjoyable to those that are used to being told what's entertaining?

Seeing these episodes crystal clear as opposed to the glacoma-fogged PD prints is a real treat.

Thanks for such a great review! I thought the same thing when I read the editing comment by the sitcomsonline reviewer. The way he warned us and griped about an edited episode I was expecting to read that an entire scene or something was cut. So when I read it was just a few music cues that barely amount to one minute I was like (in a relieved way), "That's all?" You are right that we are so lucky to get this at all AND restored so beautifully with such phenomenal bonus features. This is at the top of my Christmas list and I can't wait to get it!!!

Great review, Neil! Thanks.

What are your personal highlights of the LWL doc? Also, what is the Savings Bond special feature in the set?

Assuming you mean the "LIL" documentary, it's nothing short of perfection...riveting and half-hour full of insight. EXPERTLY edited with interviews and never-before seen footage and stills. It's if they made it especially for ME! (and you and Harry and even Claude!).

I've just skimmed the war bond segment. It's b/w footage of Lucy doing narration from the Carmichael apartment (but as Lucille Ball). Mostly historic footage of your bond money at work. I don't know if they were still selling war bonds in 1967, but probably no mention of the then-current Vietnam conflict. 1967 or thereabouts seemed to have been the turning point of public opinion against this situation--even the Carter children were involved in 'the protest'!

Another (yes, yet ANOTHER) great extra is a segment of Lucy as her "Countess-Real Estate" old lady boarding a plane and discussing the CBS Monday night line up with an 'affiliate' sitting next to her, Gale.

Apparently this is part of a 90 minute presentation CBS did for their affiliates about their 'stellar"* 1966 line up. There was a 16mm b/w print of the whole thing and they found this color 35mm print of the Lucy segment but without sound. They took the time to dub the sound from the 16mm print into the 35, flawlessly, I might add. That's the kind of guys they are!! A Class Act all the way.

Assuming you mean the "LIL" documentary, it's nothing short of perfection...riveting and half-hour full of insight. EXPERTLY edited with interviews and never-before seen footage and stills. It's if they made it especially for ME! (and you and Harry and even Claude!).

I've just skimmed the war bond segment. It's b/w footage of Lucy doing narration from the Carmichael apartment (but as Lucille Ball). Mostly historic footage of your bond money at work. I don't know if they were still selling war bonds in 1967, but probably no mention of the then-current Vietnam conflict. 1967 or thereabouts seemed to have been the turning point of public opinion against this situation--even the Carter children were involved in 'the protest'!

Another (yes, yet ANOTHER) great extra is a segment of Lucy as her "Countess-Real Estate" old lady boarding a plane and discussing the CBS Monday night line up with an 'affiliate' sitting next to her, Gale.

Apparently this is part of a 90 minute presentation CBS did for their affiliates about their 'stellar"* 1966 line up. There was a 16mm b/w print of the whole thing and they found this color 35mm print of the Lucy segment but without sound. They took the time to dub the sound from the 16mm print into the 35, flawlessly, I might add. That's the kind of guys they are!! A Class Act all the way.

Ugh, these reviews are so tantalizing! I don't think I'll be able to sleep until Tuesday night! Thanks for the info, and for catching my LWL reflex. LOL

Thats right.

Having watching the PD episodes a million times I wasn't phased about watching them in this disc set but I am really enjoying them :)

The discs and bonuses are awesome and defo worth getting even tho we have the PD episodes already.

To be honest I watched the Pat Collins episode when I went to bed and didn't notice what was missing but that could have been cos I was falling asleep LOL

You are all so lucky to have it already! I may have to wait until Christmas! I am happy that they included the "Jack in the Box" opening from what I read. I don't get why Lucy HATED it--yeah I understand the head popping out but I like the music. I can't wait to see "Bean Queen" fully restored! And I thought "Viv Visits Lucy" was in season 6. I guess not.

What's this EVEN Claude crap? I dun't appreciate getting FOURTH billing kiddo!

CHRISTMAS?! :lucyshock:

Hopefully you'll get to open it on Christmas Eve like the oyster-stuffed goose-eating package-opening Tuttle-Bagleys!

:marionstrong:

I know! I'm going to try and be a good girl and wait until Christmas but I honestly don't know if I can hold out until then! Santa may be forced to give me a three year old box of chocolates as an emergency present!

:marionstrong:

I know! I'm going to try and be a good girl and wait until Christmas but I honestly don't know if I can hold out until then! Santa may be forced to give me a three year old box of chocolates as an emergency present!

Yeah, it's supposed to be MY Christmas present from lovebuns but i doubt i can wait also!

The bar has been set pretty high but it's possible the Season 5 set is the BEST ever. Tom and Jonathan have done a tremendous job. What people don't realize that in different hands we'd be getting the episodes and nothing else. All the extras included are there because these two guys are trying to preserve history for the rest of us. Imagine: the entire season, all these other miscellaneous extras and LIL lovingly preserved. But wait! There's more! An original production about the making of LIL.......We owe these guys a lot. With the DVD industry the way it is, it's doubtful there's big bucks in presenting a set that's already been public-domained to death.

Season 5 has grown on me. If you have to divide the 22 episodes into 'good and bad', I would rate them 16:good and 6:bad. I give Pat Collins and Viv Visits a qualified 'good'. "Pat"'s opening scene in the salon is great. Lucy at her very best. The nightclub scene holds promise, but it just lays there. (Hypnotized into thinking they're Laurel and Hardy??). Although I do enjoy non-actress Pat with her cotton candy hair and novelty glasses. "Viv" is great up until their anachronistic Sunset Strip scene, with its condescending view of the counter culture--embraced, sort of, in LIL.

And speaking of anachronisms: you have to give them credit for trying something different with "Main Street", but its rosy-glassed depiction small town Americana is more 1910 than 1967. I give this a 'good', but a 'bad' for Main Street 2 ('On the Map') because it seems to have been made solely to recoup some the costs of this special set.

To really get the picture of how far this series had strayed from its original concept, imagine dumping these episodes into season 1 and substituting Danfield for Bancroft!

Wow! So Neil and David got advance copies already? Cool. Thanks for sharing your reviews! Hopefully they'll explain the edits to the Pat Collins episode during the Q&A at the screening tomorrow night! (You know someone will bring it up! ;)) :D

You are all so lucky to have it already! I may have to wait until Christmas! I am happy that they included the "Jack in the Box" opening from what I read. I don't get why Lucy HATED it--yeah I understand the head popping out but I like the music. I can't wait to see "Bean Queen" fully restored! And I thought "Viv Visits Lucy" was in season 6. I guess not.

Lucy & Viv Reminisce is in season 6. (I think that's what you're thinking of.)

But why is the music links missing. They seem to be freely available from all the bargain basement DVDs of this episode. Doesn't seem logical though does it.

Just because an episode is public domain, does not necessarily mean that the music cues are also. The music may have been licensed for use from another copyright owner, and is not part of the TV episode's copyright protection.

For example, composer Earle Hagen had an arrangement with producers Sheldon Leonard and Danny Thomas that he would retain copyright ownership on the themes he wrote for their shows, e.g., THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, etc. Each and every episode paid Hagen a royalty. Paramount accidentally allowed sixteen 3rd season episodes of GRIFFITH to fall into the public domain, and those episodes became regular fare on pd home videos... and, the open & close theme music was often replaced. Every now and then, a pd would leave in the original music, and Hagen was very efficient in filing infringement lawsuits; Earle's widow still actively enforces the rights of his estate.

Now, I'm just guessing on this particular TLS issue, but are the music cues the property of Pat Collins, i.e., did they use her nightclub act's music? If so, those cues were used by Desilu with the permission of Collins, and were not covered by TLS' episode copyright, nor are they public domain. Maybe the legal rights to those cues were confused and CBS/Paramount deemed them not worth the investigative effort, or, the Collins estate's royalty price was too high, or...?

Archived