OFFICIAL 5th SEASON "LUCY SHOW" ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

JoeySanJoaquin

Sorry if the truth hurts but this season does HAVE an edited episode in it. I wasn't aware of that until I read a review. AND I still bought it! One edited episode didn't stop me from purchasing it. It's life. It can't always be perfect or exactly the way we want. However, I do feel people should be aware of this BEFORE they go out and buy this set.

Anyways, I am LOVING this set to pieces ... it has the same quality as the previous sets. The DVD producers did a beautiful job on it. Hopefully they will go out with a bang with season six!

Sorry to have been so terse, it's just I feel a little "protective" if you will of the folks who have worked so diligently to get these out to us with all these incredible goodies. Yes, to be honest I'm not exactly thrilled either to find that there is indeed an edited episode on this set -- only one, it appears, thank goodness -- but still, there it is for whatever reason, which means it isn't perfect.

While I truly don't know how or why this happened, i.e., whether it was a music clearance issue or what, I'm still thankful that we've got them, they're near perfect and with this release, we've only got one season to go and I'm looking forward to seeing what surprises might come in that final package.

To make one point however in all fairness, there is a disclaimer on the back of the DVD case, just under the grid with all the logos and technical data, which clearly (but of course in oh-so-tiny-type) states, "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions." That only one out of the 22 episodes ended up actually being edited, it appears we lucked out.

Consider several instances of other "classic TV" releases treated shabbily upon their DVD release, e.g. Shout's first season of Rhoda in which syndicated cuts were used for the entire Season 1 release, as also happened for the first season of the original release of Roseanne (it is currently being reissued, with uncut episodes by another company) and perhaps the most infamous, the first (and only, to date) season of WKRP in Cincinnati, in which entire scenes were cut as well as much of the original classic rock music replaced by more "muzak"-type music in an attempt to steer clear of music rights issues and such and actually be able to release a set without it costing an exorbitant sum; naturally, fans were livid -- no one was happy with that "compromise", understandably.

Given those (and there're so many more) examples, I think we did okay. Just my two centavos. ;)

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consider several instances of other "classic TV" releases treated shabbily upon their DVD release, e.g. Shout's first season of Rhoda in which syndicated cuts were used for the entire Season 1 release, as also happened for the first season of the original release of Roseanne (it is currently being reissued, with uncut episodes by another company) and perhaps the most infamous, the first (and only, to date) season of WKRP in Cincinnati, in which entire scenes were cut as well as much of the original classic rock music replaced by more "muzak"-type music in an attempt to steer clear of music rights issues and such and actually be able to release a set without it costing an exorbitant sum; naturally, fans were livid -- no one was happy with that "compromise", understandably.

Given those (and there're so many more) examples, I think we did okay. Just my two centavos. ;)

Wow, did not even know this sort of shit happened, just disgusting, HOWEVER, if it's the only way some of them ever came out, then it's ok by me. Better some than none!

Exactly, class acts both. :D

I have to pinch myself that Wanda actually remembers some 30+ years later -- without prompting -- this much-larger version (not to mention much grayer!) of a young, naive twentysomething who would schlepp from Central CA to Hollywood every summer with his then best friend to descend upon the LB production offices, hoping to get a glimpse of you-know-who! She was the consummate professional, always kind and polite, never rude and always lovely. I've never forgotten her many kindnesses (guess who got to hold one of those Emmys!!! HALKING.gif) and it's always a treat to see her. Thank you for everything Mrs. Stamatovich! ;)

By the way, your bottom picture, i cannot stand Desi in that shot, looks furious, and Lucy looks snobby, did they have a fight just before the picture was taken? LOL!

By the way, your bottom picture, i cannot stand Desi in that shot, looks furious, and Lucy looks snobby, did they have a fight just before the picture was taken? LOL!

I Just watched Lucy & Pat Collins. I didn't know if I was going to like this one, but really enjoyed it. Loved Lucy and Gale doing Laurel & Hardy! Mary Jane was funny at the fashion show. When Lucy was trying on the mink coat, Mary Jane just casually says, "Why don't you buy it, Lucy" :lol:

Trailer

Whoa mama! The picture is so clear even for Youtube. I can't wait to see it! And now I know where that version of "Pop goes the weasel" came from, whoever posted it as their update. I lolzed at when Lucy was at the airport and she's like "I'm only going to be here for 1 day, I won a jingle contest" and the desk clerk was like "good grief."

Trailer

OMG, just stunning, when i saw part of it last night on You Tube, it looked terrible, but this is what i expected from the way you guys described it, just stunning. Say what you will about color Joey, but this elevates a nine to an eleven, especially after watching those washed out colors on my copy of a copy of a copy, just BRILLIANT and CRISP, makes it even more enjoyable.

I wonder if the fact most of these episodes are in the public domain and therefore free to reproduce on DVD meant they had the budget in this set to clear Lucy In London? Just a thought... but whatever the reason HOORAY!!!!!!

Nevertheless, it didn't cost any less to restore the episodes from the original negatives, and that is always a costly process.

I wonder if the fact most of these episodes are in the public domain and therefore free to reproduce on DVD meant they had the budget in this set to clear Lucy In London? Just a thought... but whatever the reason HOORAY!!!!!!

I think the fact that the episodes are in public domain doesn't mean the music is. So CBS would still have to get clearance on that. Technically the companies that issue the PD DVDs are breaking the law. I think that's the case anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

Well so's the set! Anyone on here (ahem!) who doesn't have it yet needs to get "on the Ball" :rolleyes: and get one!! You won't be sorry! :D

How many times do i have to tell ya, it's rec'd 400 miles away so it's been ordered again elsewhere and it's supposed to come in this week, i'll have TWO sets.

I know, this new place promised delivery in one week and it's been THREE already! AND he won't be going back to that hotel in Toronto any time soon so unless he drives six hours to go get it and six hours back, i'm outta luck.

He could always mail me the hotel key and I'll swing by Richmond Hill, pick it up, and mail the damn thing! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived