OFFICIAL 5th SEASON "LUCY SHOW" ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

JoeySanJoaquin

Just because an episode is public domain, does not necessarily mean that the music cues are also. The music may have been licensed for use from another copyright owner, and is not part of the TV episode's copyright protection.

For example, composer Earle Hagen had an arrangement with producers Sheldon Leonard and Danny Thomas that he would retain copyright ownership on the themes he wrote for their shows, e.g., THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, etc. Each and every episode paid Hagen a royalty. Paramount accidentally allowed sixteen 3rd season episodes of GRIFFITH to fall into the public domain, and those episodes became regular fare on pd home videos... and, the open & close theme music was often replaced. Every now and then, a pd would leave in the original music, and Hagen was very efficient in filing infringement lawsuits; Earle's widow still actively enforces the rights of his estate.

Now, I'm just guessing on this particular TLS issue, but are the music cues the property of Pat Collins, i.e., did they use her nightclub act's music? If so, those cues were used by Desilu with the permission of Collins, and were not covered by TLS' episode copyright, nor are they public domain. Maybe the legal rights to those cues were confused and CBS/Paramount deemed them not worth the investigative effort, or, the Collins estate's royalty price was too high, or...?

Sorry, but this is all much too confusing for me, just bring them out, whatever way they are now.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats right.

Darn it! I was afraid that I understood correctly. Oh well, I guess having to watch that embarrasing jack-in-the-box eye sore opening would be something to get use to. I wish they gave us an option between using the regular opening and this one.

Having watching the PD episodes a million times I wasn't phased about watching them in this disc set but I am really enjoying them :).

It doesn't phase me either. It will be like watching something new since they are completely restored and unedited (except for one, I guess). And I am kind of curious to see how this set will compare to the public domain copies.

The discs and bonuses are awesome and defo worth getting even tho we have the PD episodes already.

We have been so blessed with these sets. Lucy would be so proud.

To be honest I watched the Pat Collins episode when I went to bed and didn't notice what was missing but that could have been cos I was falling asleep LOL

Hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

I know!!! It's going to be such a challenge to wait until Christmas!

You can watch season four in the first twenty-four days of December as a build-up to season five. Just an idea.

For me, I plan on getting the season five DVD set as soon as possible. In this regards, I am like Lucy Ricardo ... I have no sales resistance! lol

Hopefully they'll explain the edits to the Pat Collins episode during the Q&A at the screening tomorrow night! (You know someone will bring it up! ;)) :D

oh, please DON'T. The producers worked very hard to make this perfect. The edit was done without their knowledge and they're quite upset about it. I've watched the episode and I'm not even sure where the edit is. I think it's just where members of the audience come up to Pat's stage. Nothing is happening, but there must have been background music that wasn't cleared. It's really so trivial and inconsequential, especially considering ALL the extras you're getting. They should be getting nothing but hozannas and praise. Had they known, they could have inserted other music and avoided this 'controversy', so let's not spoil their well-deserved moment of glory dwelling on this!

This is their best work EVER.

oh, please DON'T. The producers worked very hard to make this perfect. The edit was done without their knowledge and they're quite upset about it. I've watched the episode and I'm not even sure where the edit is. I think it's just where members of the audience come up to Pat's stage. Nothing is happening, but there must have been background music that wasn't cleared. It's really so trivial and inconsequential, especially considering ALL the extras you're getting. They should be getting nothing but hozannas and praise. Had they known, they could have inserted other music and avoided this 'controversy', so let's not spoil their well-deserved moment of glory dwelling on this!

Good British DVD releases which are usually marred by DVD problems are not "hushed up" over here. We complain directly to the DVD company. Case in point the atrocious DVD sets of THE AVENGERS. Enough complaints were made by customers with their hard earned money resulted in (eventual) disc replacements. It's not trivial to some when a minute of footage is missing, not audio, but a visual edit.

So, the release date is tomorrow? HMV should have it in a month or beau might get it from Amazon at a very low price for me for Christmas, seems his company gets everything at COST!

I hope its at Target tomorrow. They've carried every season. Season 4 was on the shelf on its release day!

I didn't mean me, and I don't think I'd have the nerve to but I do know there's always "one in every crowd", especially if they're glued to the internet for any little bit of crap to bring up so it wouldn't surprise me if someone does. Or perhaps they should just make a point to address it anyways, make a quick explanation and move on. I'm sure it's as mentioned blown all out of proportion! These sets have so far been killer and I'm not suprised if this turns out to be the best one yet! :D

It sounds to me like the Pat Collins music edits are her singing a jazzy rendition of "That's All" as they walk to and from the stage. Is that right? I'll have the set in a few days and can find out for myself. Not a huge deal at all, all things considering. And we always have the PD copies to fall back on if we want a complete audio fix :)

The supplements sound fantastic! The producers clearly realized they were needed, as all but one of these episodes are already owned by die-hard Lucy fans. Their time and effort is truly terrific.

I tell you what, I just checked my UPS tracking page, and there are no updated details. If I don't get my copy tomorrow as promised, some people may die. Just saying. :peachonthebeach:

:marionstrong: I know the feeling. It is freezing rain right now and if icy conditions delay the delivery of TLS tomorrow someone may need to hold me back. :angry:

Anyway, when you've all secured your sets, please join the discussion here:

http://www.lucylounge.com/index.php?/topic/1169-tls-season-5-reviews-and-first-impressions/

:HALKING:

I don't mean to minimize the great job the producers of these sets are doing, but an edited episode is not good. I wonder if a replacement program could be instituted where a new disc with the complete episode could be mailed to us. Those that don't mind the missing minute can keep the sets they have, and those that would like the episode complete could get it. Provided it's possible, I'd really like that.

Archived