Lucy and Desi photo thread :)

Annaleigh

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting these great pics! The ones with Lucy, Desi & the kids when they were very young always make me smile.

I wanted to read the article, too, but the tiny print makes my eyes go :wacko: . I clicked on the article to make it a wee bit bigger & managed to make out the second to last paragraph on the left column that begins: "Then Desi went on to tell me ..." (or something similar). Cute true story about their early days that I had not heard before B) .

For those unable to read the vintage article posted in Brock's image above, I've transcribed it below. There's one particularly interesting tidbit about the Arnazes and a psychiatrist's conclusion.

Lucy and Desi say: Laugh and be Happily Married

By Louella O. Parsons [1881 - 1972], Motion Picture Editor, Entertainment Press Service

(Most likely published in December of 1955)

MERRY CHRISTMAS! In the home of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz today, as in homes all over the world, the family is gathered around the Christmas tree. They, too wish you a happy yuletide with peace on earth, good will toward men. Lucy and Desi have hung up stockings in the traditional Santa Claus fashion for Lucie Desiree, age four, and little Desiderio, IV, age two.

For weeks, Lucy and Desi, who sell America’s best known name brand marriage to millions of TV fans, have been shopping because they are so typical of family life a this season of the year. I did a combined interview with them. Digressing from Christmas for a moment, I asked Lucille if doing a show every week isn’t a strain.

“It would be harder if we weren’t just playing ourselves,” she said. “So many of the incidents in our shows are things that have happened to us in real life.”

Last month, Lucy and Desi celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary, and I asked Desi what he attributed to their happiness.

He said, “A sense of humor and the ability to laugh. Often when we’ve had words, one of us sees the absurdity of it and starts laughing. If people would start to laugh more, marriages would last longer.”

“Lucy and I have been happy ever since we were remarried in the church,” he continued. “You know was well as anyone that our first years of marriage were pretty stormy; in fact, so stormy that Lucy and I separated.”

“Realizing how we have averted trouble in our private life with a sense of humor,” said Lucy, "we know that a laughing audience is a listening audience, and that’s why we try to get all of this into our shows. Like all married couples, we have our disagreements, but before we know it, one of us will interrupt to say, ‘What a perfect situation for I Love Lucy.’ That’s how so many of our marital problems have been incorporated on film.”

Recently, a psychiatrist wrote the Arnazes that a half hour of watching their show on TV often solves problems that ordinarily might require weeks of treatment. :lucycoy::lucymeh:

“In our new picture, Forever Darling, we use the device of a guardian angel,” said Desi. “It’s a marriage that started out at top speed, but is gradually slowing down to a prosaic crawl. Our angel spurs on the wife to develop an interest in her husband’s work – scientific research, so we have her accompany him on a camping expedition. Lucy in the woods! Need I say more?”

Then Desi went on to tell me, “When we were first married, Lucille and I actually did go on a camping trip. I’ll never forget the first night Lucille wanted o leave the light on in our tent. I said no. The light went out. A half hour later, Lucy let out an unearthly scream. Two yellow eyes were glaring at us. An owl had flown into our tent. We spent the rest of the night with the light on!

The story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz is stranger than any fiction. Lucille, whose perfect timing has been a model for many other comedians, was at a standstill career-wise when TV came into her life. She started as a Goldwyn Girl and made a few pictures, but offers were not coming in as fast as Lucille wanted. I well remember her carroty red hair, which has since been toned down.

Desi was playing nightclubs, and their constant separation was not the best thing in the world for their marriage. Besides, he was not having any luck in motion pictures, either.

Then about five years ago, they did their first I Love Lucy show on television and were an immediate success. Their Monday night show became a must in homes all over the country.

They formed their Desilu Company and started other TV shows, until today the names of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are household words. Their success has been sensational, and because of their earlier struggles, they appreciate their good fortune.

All beautiful shots Blitnowink, thank you for sharing. What the heck does your screenname stand for anyway?

I'm glad I could share, Claude! The name is completely nonsensical, though. I assure you it's not worth the least bit of analysis.

For those unable to read the vintage article posted in Brock's image above, I've transcribed it below. There's one particularly interesting tidbit about the Arnazes and a psychiatrist's conclusion.

Lucy and Desi say: Laugh and be Happily Married

By Louella O. Parsons [1881 - 1972], Motion Picture Editor, Entertainment Press Service

(Most likely published in December of 1955)

MERRY CHRISTMAS! In the home of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz today, as in homes all over the world, the family is gathered around the Christmas tree. They, too wish you a happy yuletide with peace on earth, good will toward men. Lucy and Desi have hung up stockings in the traditional Santa Claus fashion for Lucie Desiree, age four, and little Desiderio, IV, age two.

For weeks, Lucy and Desi, who sell America’s best known name brand marriage to millions of TV fans, have been shopping because they are so typical of family life a this season of the year. I did a combined interview with them. Digressing from Christmas for a moment, I asked Lucille if doing a show every week isn’t a strain.

“It would be harder if we weren’t just playing ourselves,” she said. “So many of the incidents in our shows are things that have happened to us in real life.”

Last month, Lucy and Desi celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary, and I asked Desi what he attributed to their happiness.

He said, “A sense of humor and the ability to laugh. Often when we’ve had words, one of us sees the absurdity of it and starts laughing. If people would start to laugh more, marriages would last longer.”

“Lucy and I have been happy ever since we were remarried in the church,” he continued. “You know was well as anyone that our first years of marriage were pretty stormy; in fact, so stormy that Lucy and I separated.”

“Realizing how we have averted trouble in our private life with a sense of humor,” said Lucy, "we know that a laughing audience is a listening audience, and that’s why we try to get all of this into our shows. Like all married couples, we have our disagreements, but before we know it, one of us will interrupt to say, ‘What a perfect situation for I Love Lucy.’ That’s how so many of our marital problems have been incorporated on film.”

Recently, a psychiatrist wrote the Arnazes that a half hour of watching their show on TV often solves problems that ordinarily might require weeks of treatment. :lucycoy::lucymeh:

“In our new picture, Forever Darling, we use the device of a guardian angel,” said Desi. “It’s a marriage that started out at top speed, but is gradually slowing down to a prosaic crawl. Our angel spurs on the wife to develop an interest in her husband’s work – scientific research, so we have her accompany him on a camping expedition. Lucy in the woods! Need I say more?”

Then Desi went on to tell me, “When we were first married, Lucille and I actually did go on a camping trip. I’ll never forget the first night Lucille wanted o leave the light on in our tent. I said no. The light went out. A half hour later, Lucy let out an unearthly scream. Two yellow eyes were glaring at us. An owl had flown into our tent. We spent the rest of the night with the light on!

The story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz is stranger than any fiction. Lucille, whose perfect timing has been a model for many other comedians, was at a standstill career-wise when TV came into her life. She started as a Goldwyn Girl and made a few pictures, but offers were not coming in as fast as Lucille wanted. I well remember her carroty red hair, which has since been toned down.

Desi was playing nightclubs, and their constant separation was not the best thing in the world for their marriage. Besides, he was not having any luck in motion pictures, either.

Then about five years ago, they did their first I Love Lucy show on television and were an immediate success. Their Monday night show became a must in homes all over the country.

They formed their Desilu Company and started other TV shows, until today the names of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are household words. Their success has been sensational, and because of their earlier struggles, they appreciate their good fortune.

I'm glad I could share, Claude! The name is completely nonsensical, though. I assure you it's not worth the least bit of analysis.

O I C well, thanks for the article, all are eyes are appreciative.

• 4 weeks later...

$(KGrHqF,!lkE8HMBnciiBPRHmmBRi!~~60_3.JPG

The background is a little bit out of focus but people resembling Martin Gabel and the delightful star of stage and television Miss Arlene Francis appear to be sitting behind them. Cigarettes for all!

Doesn't look like Arlene and i think it was taken at the Philip Morris convention, LOL!

Doesn't look like Arlene and i think it was taken at the Philip Morris convention, LOL!

It really was such a different time! Wonder what they'd think about now where, at least here in California, you can hardly smoke anywhere anymore (Thank GOD!) unless it's outside and then often several feet way from entrances, exits, etc.

Would be interesting to know too how many of the folks in that one picture, or in that room that night, succumbed eventually to some form or another of the Big C. lucyblah.JPG

It really was such a different time! Wonder what they'd think about now where, at least here in California, you can hardly smoke anywhere anymore (Thank GOD!) unless it's outside and then often several feet way from entrances, exits, etc.

Would be interesting to know too how many of the folks in that one picture, or in that room that night, succumbed eventually to some form or another of the Big C. lucyblah.JPG

Or a heart condition also, it affects that too. Yes, back then, everybody smoked, my dad did ciggies, cigars and the pipe. I hated ciggies but did try the other two at various times. Here, it's cold six months of the year, so they'd have people smoke outside but they'd converge in entrances and exits and as us non smokers passed through, you could get emphysema on the spot unless you held your breath till you were outside.

I think i remember you talking about Arlene being ninety something, did she pass away since then?

She died almost 11 years ago from Alzheimer's Disease. :( The always lovely and vivacious head of Kitty Carlisle died in 2007 at the grand ole' age of 96, and performing till the end.

It's a joke from The Simpsons and I think of it whenever I see or hear her name.

It's from the episode where Bart becomes world famous after uttering the phrase "I didn't do it!" on Krusty's show. When his fame starts to wane, he daydreams about being on Match Game 2034 with other washed up stars including Billy Crystal, "Farrah Fawcett-Majors-O'Neal-Varney", Spike Lee, "ventriloquist Loni Anderson" and Kitty Carlisle's preserved head, dubbed "the always lovely and vivacious head of Kitty Carlisle."

Archived