The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How reliable is the USPS tracking system? My order hasn't been updated since last night. I was so looking forward to getting it today. But, I suppose I can wait another 24 hours. :(

They suck. Since it was a holiday yesterday, USPS wasn't working. Lazy Commies. :lucyblah:

Thank God for UPS!

I quickly browsed thru it during lunch. It's a fantastic set!

And the Italian episode has a whole new intro set to the tune of the season 3 theme. Who knew there was yet another TLS opening!?

First disc has a plethora of production notes, I couldn't believe the number of pages of info they tracked down.

Menus are in the same style as season 4, updated with new clips. Very pretty.

Can't wait to see more later!

Well, you should watch them in beautifully restored "HD" quality, after seeing scratchy color-drained low quality prints. I personally can't wait to see "Lucy Gets Trapped" in pristine crystal clear quality.

Oh I will eventually, but I'm more anxious to see the stuff that's new to me first.

What "Italian" episode?

Stupid Target didn't have it. :angry: neither did Best Buy or Barnes & Noble. What the HELLYELLBINGO? Every time a set came out they had it except this time. They had every season of I Love Lucy in the new reissued package and the sales people keep thinking it's the same show. The only saving grace of ordering online is that, it is free shipping on Deep Discount. so I saved a few dollars but I HATE ordering online because I have to wait longer!

What "Italian" episode?

Stupid Target didn't have it. :angry: neither did Best Buy or Barnes & Noble. What the HELLYELLBINGO? Every time a set came out they had it except this time. They had every season of I Love Lucy in the new reissued package and the sales people keep thinking it's the same show. The only saving grace of ordering online is that, it is free shipping on Deep Discount. so I saved a few dollars but I HATE ordering online because I have to wait longer!

Well if it's any consolation, I have still not received mine yet because UPS seems to like to deliver to my neighborhood at the very end of the business day. <_<

What "Italian" episode?

It includes "Lucy Gets Her Diploma" with a recently found Italian audio track, plus an alternate opening cartoon made just for overseas.

It's here. Did most of the special features first. Nice to see the Emmy acceptance speech. The Carol Burnette Show sketch is competing car rental dealers. Also has a very young looking Tim Conway.

The smilr feature similar to the ones before was so interesting to just watch Lucy' s face and big blue eyes.

The one of her pouring the cream is from Meet the Berles. Carol B parts 1 and 2 are represented a few times on the cover, plus it's the back image of Lucy too. "An All Star Season"!

Loving the episodes on this set, plus the features. Great bloopers, great production notes (with loads of info on the Desilu/Paramount merger and the formation of Here's Lucy), and more beautiful raw footage from Lucy's 2nd glamour shoot. Plus there's more surviving vintage openings and closings than on the last set. And the Eddie Stevenson costume sketches are beautiful.

Another top notch release. Well worth the wait. It was also interesting to learn that Mary Jane was sick and had to skip 2 episodes written for her (Goulet and Diploma). Lucie Arnaz took over in Goulet, Doris Singleton in Diploma. It also includes a scan of a signed photo of Lucy & Mary Jane dressed as scrubwomen from the Sheldon Leonard ep, written by Lucy as a get well to Mary Jane. Very sweet.

My recent Amazon orders have taken longer than usual, so I put a reserve on the DVD at my local Barnes and Noble. Once again, this is a great DVD set! It is clear a lot of hard work went into it. One thing I especially love is the production notes. There are some great details in here. I always figured Lucie's role in "Lucy and Robert Goulet" was originally intended for Mary Jane. It's great to get the backstory. I've only watched disc one so far, but I loved seeing Doris Singleton's scene from "Lucy Gets Her Diploma" that is cut from syndication. I loved seeing the autographed photo Lucy sent to Mary Jane. I'm glad to see Lucy saw what an asset Mary Jane was to the show.

The one of her pouring the cream is from Meet the Berles. Carol B parts 1 and 2 are represented a few times on the cover, plus it's the back image of Lucy too. "An All Star Season"!

Loving the episodes on this set, plus the features. Great bloopers, great production notes (with loads of info on the Desilu/Paramount merger and the formation of Here's Lucy), and more beautiful raw footage from Lucy's 2nd glamour shoot. Plus there's more surviving vintage openings and closings than on the last set. And the Eddie Stevenson costume sketches are beautiful.

Another top notch release. Well worth the wait. It was also interesting to learn that Mary Jane was sick and had to skip 2 episodes written for her (Goulet and Diploma). Lucie Arnaz took over in Goulet, Doris Singleton in Diploma. It also includes a scan of a signed photo of Lucy & Mary Jane dressed as scrubwomen from the Sheldon Leonard ep, written by Lucy as a get well to Mary Jane. Very sweet.

I didn't see your comments above when I posted mine. I like that we loved the same things!

Nitpicky question for those who have received the set already... do the last 10 episodes or so end with the 1960s Paramount Television logo or did they replace it with something more recent?

Good question! They include all 3 original logos as originally aired. The Desilu logo, the Desilu logo with the Paramount blurb at the bottom, and the last batch end with the Paramount Television logo.

Archived