Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Just watched "MJ's Boyfriend" -- a pretty good episode considering I'm usually just mild about Fox/Jacob's scripts.

It's great to see MJ get so much screen time and odd that this is the only episode where the plot centered around her.

Did I hear Lucie's intro right? "Mary Jane became a regular in the series' FIFTH season"?

MJ seemed to have eased into HL almost unnoticed, but I would have put her regular status much earlier.

The evolution of her character is interesting. By the time of this episode she is certifiably looney, like the mother a much saner Georgette would have.

This episode clips along but would have been better if Lucy had had more of a grasp of her lines. The eye-darting to cue-cards is quite noticeable here and very distracting.

And in the category of "things I wouldn't know except for sitcoms": the idea that a couple would elope with the groom hoisting a ladder up to the bride's window.

Is the percentage of times the ladder subsequently falls backwards 100? Probably close to it.

MJ's new beau "Jack" looked familiar. He was Mary Tyler Moore's sometimes date on her show when she needed one; never given many lines and never involved in the plot. He was 43 at the time of this HL.

HL is one of the few shows that was getting BETTER just as it was wrapping up. The last half of the season is much better than the first.

With the exception of "Sheriff" and possibly "Birdsitter" (haven't watched that one yet), they're all good to great on the HL scale. Even "Gold Fever" is watchable. 4 of them make my best of HL top 10 list: NG, Lucy Meets Lucy, Wandering Mother and Fights the System; and now that I look at them again, MJ's Boyfriend and Phil Harris have risen a couple of notches.

I have to say i don't recall E V E R seeing Lucy looking at cue cards, i don't know why you guys see that happening everywhere.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched "MJ's Boyfriend" -- a pretty good episode considering I'm usually just mild about Fox/Jacob's scripts.

It's great to see MJ get so much screen time and odd that this is the only episode where the plot centered around her.

Did I hear Lucie's intro right? "Mary Jane became a regular in the series' FIFTH season"?

MJ seemed to have eased into HL almost unnoticed, but I would have put her regular status much earlier.

The evolution of her character is interesting. By the time of this episode she is certifiably looney, like the mother a much saner Georgette would have.

This episode clips along but would have been better if Lucy had had more of a grasp of her lines. The eye-darting to cue-cards is quite noticeable here and very distracting.

And in the category of "things I wouldn't know except for sitcoms": the idea that a couple would elope with the groom hoisting a ladder up to the bride's window.

Is the percentage of times the ladder subsequently falls backwards 100? Probably close to it.

MJ's new beau "Jack" looked familiar. He was Mary Tyler Moore's sometimes date on her show when she needed one; never given many lines and never involved in the plot. He was 43 at the time of this HL.

HL is one of the few shows that was getting BETTER just as it was wrapping up. The last half of the season is much better than the first.

With the exception of "Sheriff" and possibly "Birdsitter" (haven't watched that one yet), they're all good to great on the HL scale. Even "Gold Fever" is watchable. 4 of them make my best of HL top 10 list: NG, Lucy Meets Lucy, Wandering Mother and Fights the System; and now that I look at them again, MJ's Boyfriend and Phil Harris have risen a couple of notches.

I just got this season yesterday. I started watching "Lucy And Danny Thomas" which was an excellent for the very first show of the season. I turned on "The Big Game" but avoided watching the O.J. scenes he was in. "Lucy The Peacemaker" was an excellent show with Steve Lawrence and Edie Gorme. Edie Gorme steals the scenery in this one, I forgot how great she was in a sitcom. "Lucy, The Wealthy Widow" was great with Ed Mahon who could have been great playing in a sitcom . He and Lucy had great chemistry and would have been great as a steady boyfriend for her. I loved Gale and Lucie's changing costumes and getting mixed up with their characters. I also loved Lucie's hairstyle in the sixth season. It is "reminiscent" of the hairstyle she used when she played "The Black Dahlia". I also enjoyed the intros to Lucy of the actor's who played in thos episodes.

Can't wait to venture more into this season!!!!

Lucy's long wig was less appealing then it was used on "The Lucy Show". It made look older.

And don't you love his ALL RED outfit. Looks like they altered Lucy's "It's Today" thing for him.

And don't you love his ALL RED outfit. Looks like they altered Lucy's "It's Today" thing for him.

:marionstrong: This is hilarious! It looks like they added some gray to his hair so it he didn't look too much younger than Mary Jane and Lucy. His hair wasn't gray during his Mary Tyler Moore appearances at this time. John Gabriel also played the Professor in the original Gilligan's Island pilot.

What did you think of Lucy's Tenant, Teri?

This episode was hilarious!!! Lucy's disgusted facial expression behind Reta Shaw's character's back. Jackie Coogan's character telling Mary Jane that she sounds like she swallowed a mouse. Harry Carter becoming the swinger "Cuddles". Lucy putting cups of sugar in Jackie Coogan's hot cereal

"The Bow-Wow Boutique" - Harry Carter tears me up when he attempts to lure Tinker Belle up the ramp to take his bath.

"Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty"- Lucy doing her great pantomine routine. Lucy and Joan getting on each other's nerves. Harry Carter getting on Lucy's nerves when he assumes she is holding up the jury decision.

"Tipsy Through the Tulips" Foster Brooks always cuts me up when he is doing his drunk routine. Lucy playing it straight with him had me in stitches.LOL!!! Foster squirting booze from his carnation on Harry and Harry spitting it back on him. LOL!!!!

"Lucy Plays Cops And Robbers" - I loved it when the robber was ushering Kim into the closet and she was requesting that he be careful in not breaking her nails. Every time the door opened to the closet, Harry's head sticks out screaming that he has claustophobia.

This episode was hilarious!!! Lucy's disgusted facial expression behind Reta Shaw's character's back. Jackie Coogan's character telling Mary Jane that she sounds like she swallowed a mouse. Harry Carter becoming the swinger "Cuddles". Lucy putting cups of sugar in Jackie Coogan's hot cereal

"The Bow-Wow Boutique" - Harry Carter tears me up when he attempts to lure Tinker Belle up the ramp to take his bath.

"Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty"- Lucy doing her great pantomine routine. Lucy and Joan getting on each other's nerves. Harry Carter getting on Lucy's nerves when he assumes she is holding up the jury decision.

"Tipsy Through the Tulips" Foster Brooks always cuts me up when he is doing his drunk routine. Lucy playing it straight with him had me in stitches.LOL!!! Foster squirting booze from his carnation on Harry and Harry spitting it back on him. LOL!!!!

"Lucy Plays Cops And Robbers" - I loved it when the robber was ushering Kim into the closet and she was requesting that he be careful in not breaking her nails. Every time the door opened to the closet, Harry's head sticks out screaming that he has claustophobia.

I dunno but Cops & Robbers was really bad in my opinion, same with Bow Wow - I just didn't enjoy them - might have to watch them again to cast new light.............

I dunno but Cops & Robbers was really bad in my opinion, same with Bow Wow - I just didn't enjoy them - might have to watch them again to cast new light.............

Do you feel that "Cops and Robbers" is too silly? Every character is loony and crazy in this one even Kim, the robber, and those spaced out cops. There are so many characters doing so much action in a short period of time.

I thought you would like "Bow-Wow,,,," because Lucy was working with animals. It reminds me alot of "Lucy The Babysitter" and "Lucy Buys A Sheep". I love most of the Lucy episodes with props in it and Lucy made a mess with the dog shampoo devise especially the co-worker with the toupee.

Do you feel that "Cops and Robbers" is too silly? Every character is loony and crazy in this one even Kim, the robber, and those spaced out cops. There are so many characters doing so much action in a short period of time.

I thought you would like "Bow-Wow,,,," because Lucy was working with animals. It reminds me alot of "Lucy The Babysitter" and "Lucy Buys A Sheep". I love most of the Lucy episodes with props in it and Lucy made a mess with the dog shampoo devise especially the co-worker with the toupee.

Yes, very silly and Bow-Wow was one of the only animal episodes I didn't like.

• 2 months later...

Guess what I finally got around 5PM tonight. After months and months of waiting, Bogdan ordered it for me as MY Christmas gift, then was 400 miles away and always forgot to bring it on his trips over here, then he says they stole it among the things they took in that apartment robbery so he ordered it again and just got it in two days and gave it to me tonight. My Lucy collection of her various series is NOW finally complete!

Looked at all the special features first of course. LOVED the fact that they Dinah show was not just Lucy and Viv but little clips of everybody. Loved the MAME interview. Found the beautiful footage of Lucy and Desi with their kids at Disneyland so nice to watch. Fast forwarded through the Uterine cancer thing and the Savings Bond one, though I had already seen both anyway. As of tomorrow, I have all 24 shows to rewatch. That sketch with Lucy and Andy Griffith was a real highlight, HOWEVER, Lucy playing straight to anyone else doing the comedy rarely does it for me. The Let s Talk to Lucy segments were terrific as always, she should definitely have had her own talk show starting in 75.

Congrats on completing your collection, Claude :) !

I noticed on the Dinah Show bonus feature that it did not include the funny story of the King of Siam & his entourage barging into Lucy's home while she & Viv were coloring their hair. Really glad that it was posted here at the Lounge so that I got to see it.

Congrats on completing your collection, Claude :) !

I noticed on the Dinah Show bonus feature that it did not include the funny story of the King of Siam & his entourage barging into Lucy's home while she & Viv were coloring their hair. Really glad that it was posted here at the Lounge so that I got to see it.

But they did mention it though. Shame the show was cut at all, i'd love to see the whole thing complete. My collection was already complete, I had copies of every show, but these are official and so perfect, picture and quality wise, no cuts, nothing. Did you notice that when watching that Savings Bond feature, you see the OLD quality of the prints that looks so bad compared to the way we get her shows NOW on dvd? LOL!

I wonder if the Dinah! episode was cut to try and fit into some sort of time constraints. Like you can only show 20 minutes so they picked the best parts and dumped the lesser stuff. The Carole Burnett show clip is done like that. They only could use 3 mintues and I believe Tom on her said that they got it to come right at 3 min.

Archived