Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's not to understand, the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour was a part of the Desilu Playhouse shows and they aired five of them two years in a row and one season with only three shows.

Well I do understand that. I meant how they made it the 7,8, and 9 season of I Love Lucy not LDCH 1,2,3. I should've clarified that more.

"Lucy's Tenant" gets my vote as the funniest episode of the series. You are totally right about the audience. They are extremely enthusiastic from the very beginning. Listen to the huge ovation that greets Gale's entrance.

Harry: Who's the dude?

Mary Jane: Is it true?!

Lucy: Is what true?

Mary Jane: You're living with a MAN! :D

Mary Jane: Is he single? Is he rich? Are you engaged? What's that awful smell?

Kermit: They made me take a screen test and they said I came off looking dishonest.

Lucy: :hlLOL: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Kermit: That's not funny.

Lucy: Oh. :lucyblah:

Mary Jane: Your horoscope said, "If opportunity knocks, open the door."

Lucy: Big deal.

Mary Jane: Well, there aren't many knocks at your age.

Lucy: At my age?! Well, listen to Peter Pan!

Wasn't this the show that Fidelman said would've have been okay in the early days of "I Love Lucy" but should've have been unacceptable by now? I like a lot of his comments, but I think he was off the mark on this one. I found every episode on disc one to be an absolute gem!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but does "Lucy the Peacemaker" have the smallest cast of any Lucy episode? Only Lucy, Steve and Edie. I can't recall any other episode to feature only three actors, and just one member of the main cast.

Also, this may be just an issue with my copy, but did anyone notice any compression issues on disc 4?

It's hard to describe, but in the "Lucy meets Lucy" episode, for instance, whenever the camera cuts to another shot, there seems to be a second or two of residual compression remaining from the last shot, resulting in a blurred image. It snaps away immediately, but it seems to happen every time the camera cuts to another shot.

While looking through the episode list, I was pleased to see that Doris Singleton FINALLY was used for an Episode introduction. The only other time Doris participated in a "LUCY" dvd release was when she did an audio commentary for an I Love Lucy episode, that featured her as Carolyn Applebee. Anyways, this is bitter sweet, since she now has departed us!

Wasn't this the show that Fidelman said would've have been okay in the early days of "I Love Lucy" but should've have been unacceptable by now? I like a lot of his comments, but I think he was off the mark on this one. I found every episode on disc one to be an absolute gem!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but does "Lucy the Peacemaker" have the smallest cast of any Lucy episode? Only Lucy, Steve and Edie. I can't recall any other episode to feature only three actors, and just one member of the main cast.

I don't understand Fidelman's dislike for Lucy's Tenant either.

I think Lucy the Peacemaker might have the smallest cast for a Lucy episode. I can't think of any other episodes that feature only three actors. Gale was originally in the episode, but his role was cut prior to airing.

Don't get me started on fidelman's later Lucy show reviews.

While looking through the episode list, I was pleased to see that Doris Singleton FINALLY was used for an Episode introduction. The only other time Doris participated in a "LUCY" dvd release was when she did an audio commentary for an I Love Lucy episode, that featured her as Carolyn Applebee. Anyways, this is bitter sweet, since she now has departed us!

Well, at least they got to film her before she did depart.

This season was a mix bag --- with gems and duds sprinkled in. The episodes I enjoyed the most were: Cops and Robbers, Wealthy Widow, Bow-Bow Boutique, Tenant, Jury Duty, Gold Fever, Bird Sitter, Sheriff, Milton Berle, Mary Jane's Boyfriend, Lucy Meets Lucy, Wandering Mother, and Fights the System. Each and every one of this had Lucy either scheming, causing mischief, or solving some sort of a problem. The majority of these episodes also had a reguler cast in them - Gale Gordon, Lucie Arnaz, and/or Mary Jane Craft.

Now with the episodes I enjoyed the least (or not at all) - Peacemaker, Eddie Albert, Andy Griffith, Frankie Avalon, Chuck Conners, and Phil Harris. I feel these concentrated too much on the guest stars/musical numbers and not enough on the regular cast or the plot itself. I was quite disappointed with the Frankie Avalon episode ... the majority of that episode featured him singing/performing ... hardly any Lucy in it. The build up to the climax of the Eddie Albert episode was long and boring and even the climax wasn't that great. The Andy Griffith episode was Lucie-centered and the plot of it wasn't particularly interesting. Phil Harris episode - boring just like Lucy Show one ... I don't know which one is the worse. Both of them are bad. Anyways, it appeared to me that Lucy was definitely relying on guest stars in the season. That was fine and dandy but why did the spotlight have to be on THEM? The show is called Here's LUCY, afterall.

This season was a mix bag --- with gems and duds sprinkled in. The episodes I enjoyed the most were: Cops and Robbers, Wealthy Widow, Bow-Bow Boutique, Tenant, Jury Duty, Gold Fever, Bird Sitter, Sheriff, Milton Berle, Mary Jane's Boyfriend, Lucy Meets Lucy, Wandering Mother, and Fights the System. Each and every one of this had Lucy either scheming, causing mischief, or solving some sort of a problem. The majority of these episodes also had a reguler cast in them - Gale Gordon, Lucie Arnaz, and/or Mary Jane Craft.

Now with the episodes I enjoyed the least (or not at all) - Peacemaker, Eddie Albert, Andy Griffith, Frankie Avalon, Chuck Conners, and Phil Harris. I feel these concentrated too much on the guest stars/musical numbers and not enough on the regular cast or the plot itself. I was quite disappointed with the Frankie Avalon episode ... the majority of that episode featured him singing/performing ... hardly any Lucy in it. The build up to the climax of the Eddie Albert episode was long and boring and even the climax wasn't that great. The Andy Griffith episode was Lucie-centered and the plot of it wasn't particularly interesting. Phil Harris episode - boring just like Lucy Show one ... I don't know which one is the worse. Both of them are bad. Anyways, it appeared to me that Lucy was definitely relying on guest stars in the season. That was fine and dandy but why did the spotlight have to be on THEM? The show is called Here's LUCY, afterall.

I'm half way through the third disc so I'll post my favourites/least favourites later this week but in my opinion Cops & Robbers and Bow Wow and Bird Sitter and Gold Fever and Sherrif would be in my least favourite list! Also, the Lucy Show version of Phil Harris is my favourite episode in Season 6! Haven't watched the HL version yet. We're certainly opposites!

I'm half way through the third disc so I'll post my favourites/least favourites later this week but in my opinion Cops & Robbers and Bow Wow and Bird Sitter and Gold Fever would be in my least favourite list! Also, the Lucy Show version of Phil Harris is my favourite episode in Season 6! Haven't watched the HL version yet. We're certainly opposites!

Is it true YOU worked with Fidelman on his book.

Claude! You watch Bow Wow, Bird Sitter and Gold Fever and Sherrif and you'll think the same thing! Everyone on here though has loved Cops & Robbers, not sure why though!

Sorry, bubbela, can't remember, bow wow i remember wasn't bad, but the other three you're probably right. But i doubt i hate them as much as you do. The only one i ever H A T E D was Drafted, and that was on the classic perfect first series. LOL!

Sorry, bubbela, can't remember, bow wow i remember wasn't bad, but the other three you're probably right. But i doubt i hate them as much as you do. The only one i ever H A T E D was Drafted, and that aws on the classic perfect first series. LOL!

Actually funnily enough I don't HATE any of the episodes from this season - I find this season very strong but yes, there are some below average ones.

Archived