Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

People's reactions to the same episodes are always so interesting.

Of your poor ones, the ones I really enjoyed after all these years were "Cops" and "Milton". Milton, in particular because it's such a funny premise: Lucy bidding $5 for his services. The only time I remember there being that many people in the Carter living room. Would have helped if they had gotten REAL actors, or at least non-actors who could get a full line out convincingly.

I'm so-so about Eddie Albert--he gives such an over-the-top performance. Lucy is good in this one and it's great to see her in one last musical number. Don't you agree that her "Whoopee" vocals are better than her singing in Mame?

The ep in your good/very good catagory I did not care for were Andy Griffith.

"Wealthy Widow", "Peacemaker", "Danny T" were all just passable in my book.

Despite the OJ connection, I enjoyed "Big Game" though did not in its initial run.

"Phil Harris" was more enjoyable than I remember. Love the interplay between the two, mainly because Harris has such a natural delivery and seems to play loose with the script, not something that a lot of people got away with on a Lucy set. Enjoyed his reactions to Lucy (as I did in the 1968 ep).

Not as wild about "tipsy"...should have been better. When you have Foster Brooks as a guest star, there's only one direction a episode can take!

Haven't watched "Bird Sitter" yet. There's usually SOMETHING in a BobMadelyn script that's good, but as I recall, Arte was annoying enough to ruin the episode.

And "Gold Fever" was better than average for a HL outdoorsy show. Did they EVER have an episode that took place in the wilderness that did NOT have an encounter with someone in a ridiculously obvious animal costume? I can't think of one. Their outdoor sets are always impressive, even if the shows are not.

I think what people were referring to was how this interviewer kept harping on the "lull" in the movie after the mame number. One mention was enough.

"Mame" ended the Broadway production's first act as Lucy noted in the interview, adding that maybe it would have been better if the movie had had one.

Well, the Portland show DID have one, which I believe is the last movie I went to that had an intermission.

Season 6 of Here's Lucy is a great way to end a fantastic series! MPI have outdone themselves! My favourite special features were the Lucie Arnaz spotlight, the T.E.Ford special and of course the poignant Dinah special! I watched the Mame interview expecting to see the interviewer be "rude" but I didn't find any of his questions offensive nor did I find Lucy particularly upset. I teared up in the final episode introduction - I always get so emotional like that! Also, it was fantastic being able to see our dear Doris one last time!

Now for the episode ratings

POOR

Bow Wow

Eddie Albert

Cops & Robbers

Bird Sitter

Milton Berle

Sheriff

OK

Frankie Avalon

Gold Fever

Phil Harris

GOOD

Wealthy Widow

Chuck Connors

Meanwhile Back @ The Office

Mary Jane's Boyfriend

Wandering Mother

Fights The System

Andy Griffith

VERY GOOD

Danny Thomas

The Big Game

Peacemaker

Tenant

Jury Duty

Tipsy Tulips

N.G as an R.N

Lucille Ball

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And just to meander a little:

I saw one of Jack Benny's last live performances. In the summer of 1974 he played Portland's Civic Auditorium. To get another kid (and old enough to drive) to go to a Jack Benny show was a tough-sell. I finally had to BUY the other person's ticket and pay for gas and parking. I'm glad I saw him because he died the next December. (Benny , not my friend)

He did the above bit, this time interrupted by the theater manager coming on and announcing (actual) future acts that were on the Auditorium's schedule.

Jack was as lively on stage as he ever was.....I waited by the stage door (as Mrs. Miller and I always did). Didn't interact with him, but remember how small and old he looked in contrast to the energetic person on stage. To be fair, he was probably tired from traveling and performing. And he was 80 after all.

I saw him LIVE seven years before that and he was so terrific, he was always my favorite male comedian, the man could get hysterical laughs with a long pause, never saw anyone as professional and as funny ever again after that. It was at the World's Fair in '67 here and he joked that he had the same Royal Suite as the Burtons, where they were married three years before that, i forget what he said, all i remember is the one joke that i've told here before but it's so funny i'd like to tell it again . . . he and George Burns were best friends of course and always tried to crack each other up with practical jokes . . . he was in his hotel room when George called to say he was coming up to see him, so Jack stripped off all his clothes and stood on the bed, naked with a book in his hand, unfortunately for him, George sent the maid up instead.

I think what people were referring to was how this interviewer kept harping on the "lull" in the movie after the mame number. One mention was enough.

"Mame" ended the Broadway production's first act as Lucy noted in the interview, adding that maybe it would have been better if the movie had had one.

Well, the Portland show DID have one, which I believe is the last movie I went to that had an intermission.

Kids on here probably have no idea how it was BACK THEN for us older folk. You would RESERVE tickets for any movie they called a Road show movie, any BIG splashy spectacle was like that, i'll never forget getting tickets for Funny Girl, going to the theater, watching the film and then leaving at intermission. I had never been to a movie with an intermission before so i thought it was over with Barbra's DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE! All the way home, i kept wondering why i hadn't seen her other BIG numbers.

People's reactions to the same episodes are always so interesting.

Of your poor ones, the ones I really enjoyed after all these years were "Cops" and "Milton". Milton, in particular because it's such a funny premise: Lucy bidding $5 for his services. The only time I remember there being that many people in the Carter living room. Would have helped if they had gotten REAL actors, or at least non-actors who could get a full line out convincingly.

I'm so-so about Eddie Albert--he gives such an over-the-top performance. Lucy is good in this one and it's great to see her in one last musical number. Don't you agree that her "Whoopee" vocals are better than her singing in Mame?

The ep in your good/very good catagory I did not care for were Andy Griffith.

"Wealthy Widow", "Peacemaker", "Danny T" were all just passable in my book.

Despite the OJ connection, I enjoyed "Big Game" though did not in its initial run.

"Phil Harris" was more enjoyable than I remember. Love the interplay between the two, mainly because Harris has such a natural delivery and seems to play loose with the script, not something that a lot of people got away with on a Lucy set. Enjoyed his reactions to Lucy (as I did in the 1968 ep).

Not as wild about "tipsy"...should have been better. When you have Foster Brooks as a guest star, there's only one direction a episode can take!

Haven't watched "Bird Sitter" yet. There's usually SOMETHING in a BobMadelyn script that's good, but as I recall, Arte was annoying enough to ruin the episode.

And "Gold Fever" was better than average for a HL outdoorsy show. Did they EVER have an episode that took place in the wilderness that did NOT have an encounter with someone in a ridiculously obvious animal costume? I can't think of one. Their outdoor sets are always impressive, even if the shows are not.

Interesting how people's views differ. Yes, she did sound better in the Eddie Albert number from memory but I just found the whole episode quite pointless, did nothing for me

Interesting how people's views differ. Yes, she did sound better in the Eddie Albert number from memory but I just found the whole episode quite pointless, did nothing for me

For some of us, just the fact that the two former stars of that funny comedy movie were together after all those years was enough to make it memorable, and then to get that musical number, well, icing on the cake.

For some of us, just the fact that the two former stars of that funny comedy movie were together after all those years was enough to make it memorable, and then to get that musical number, well, icing on the cake.

Yeah, I guess not really being "from that era" or knowing much about Eddie it doesn't help

You don't know about Eddie Albert, the star of Green Acres with Eva Gabor, question mark.

I LOVE that show! I've been watching a lot of it lately on THIS TV along with Mister Ed. Both Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor were superb in their roles on GA.

Well for me, it was nice seeing Lucille Ball acting along side with another TV comedy star. And season six had a lot of TV comedy stars I must say ... Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster on The Munsters), Dick Sargeant (#2 Darrin on Bewitched), Danny Thomas (Danny Williams on Make Room For Daddy), Hans Conried (Uncle Tonoose on Make Room For Daddy), Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester on The Addams Family), Andy Griffith (Andy Taylor on The Andy Griffith Show), Arte Johnson (from Laugh-In), and of course, Eddie Albert (Oliver Wendell Douglas on Green Acres).

I LOVE that show! I've been watching a lot of it lately on THIS TV along with Mister Ed. Both Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor were superb in their roles on GA.

Yes they were, but at the end of the series, i used to get annoyed by the stupidity of some of the characters like that guy that used to say one thing, but no, he meant another, well, he didn't mean that, or was it this, oh it couldn't have been this, know the one i mean?

Yes they were, but at the end of the series, i used to get annoyed by the stupidity of some of the characters like that guy that used to say one thing, but no, he meant another, well, he didn't mean that, or was it this, oh it couldn't have been this, know the one i mean?

I think you are referring to Hank Kimball the county agent. That was the character who had the memory problem. And his memory got worse with each progressing season. He must have developed some sort of a dimentia or even Alzhiemer's disease over the course of the show. But I find this ironic though given the fact that an actual Green Acres star in real life suffered from Alzhiemer's disease and that was Eddie Albert.

I think you are referring to Hank Kimball the county agent. That was the character who had the memory problem. And his memory got worse with each progressing season. He must have developed some sort of a dimentia or even Alzhiemer's disease over the course of the show. But I find this ironic though given the fact that an actual Green Acres star in real life suffered from Alzhiemer's disease and that was Eddie Albert.

Wait a minute, you`re not telling me that actor was really doing that, it was all written that way in the script i`m sure. Didn't know that about Albert, must have been really bnad by the time he acted with Lucy again.

Wait a minute, you`re not telling me that actor was really doing that, it was all written that way in the script i`m sure. Didnèt know that about Albert, must have been really bnad by the time he acted with Lucy again.

I was referring to Hank Kimball the character not the actor who played him. And with Eddie Albert, I believe the symptoms of him having Alzhiemer's disease began to show in the late 1990's.

Well, you just have to get out more.

I will come to her defense. She probably was not around during the original run of Green Acres or at the height of Eddie Albert's popularity in television/movies. And if she is under the age of 20 or even 25, then that might help explain it.

I will come to her defense. She probably was not around during the original run of Green Acres or at the height of Eddie Albert's popularity in television/movies. And if she is under the age of 20 or even 25, then that might help explain it.

Just FYI: Mikidiki is a him. ;)

Aren't you kind! :lucyhaha: (I am actually 34) p.s - I have heard of Green Acres but I wouldn't know what it was about or who it was with)

Just FYI: Mikidiki is a him. ;)

Don't give away my secret! :gary:

• 2 months later...

Just watched "MJ's Boyfriend" -- a pretty good episode considering I'm usually just mild about Fox/Jacob's scripts.

It's great to see MJ get so much screen time and odd that this is the only episode where the plot centered around her.

Did I hear Lucie's intro right? "Mary Jane became a regular in the series' FIFTH season"?

MJ seemed to have eased into HL almost unnoticed, but I would have put her regular status much earlier.

The evolution of her character is interesting. By the time of this episode she is certifiably looney, like the mother a much saner Georgette would have.

This episode clips along but would have been better if Lucy had had more of a grasp of her lines. The eye-darting to cue-cards is quite noticeable here and very distracting.

And in the category of "things I wouldn't know except for sitcoms": the idea that a couple would elope with the groom hoisting a ladder up to the bride's window.

Is the percentage of times the ladder subsequently falls backwards 100? Probably close to it.

MJ's new beau "Jack" looked familiar. He was Mary Tyler Moore's sometimes date on her show when she needed one; never given many lines and never involved in the plot. He was 43 at the time of this HL.

HL is one of the few shows that was getting BETTER just as it was wrapping up. The last half of the season is much better than the first.

With the exception of "Sheriff" and possibly "Birdsitter" (haven't watched that one yet), they're all good to great on the HL scale. Even "Gold Fever" is watchable. 4 of them make my best of HL top 10 list: NG, Lucy Meets Lucy, Wandering Mother and Fights the System; and now that I look at them again, MJ's Boyfriend and Phil Harris have risen a couple of notches.

Archived