DVR Alerts!

Just saw my first one, with Neil Simon, this morning after the great Sunshine Boys movie.  Not only is Lucy mentioned in the movie but when they have a promo made for the movie, they're all interviewed and Sid Gould, who has a small part in the film, WHAT ELSE WOULD  HE HAVE, HE mentions Lucy when asked who were the best old time comedy stars.

One hour and fifteen minutes of my life i'll never get back.  What a friggin disappointment, all those boring interviews, kept waiting for Lucy to be next.  All those memories of old times watching talk shows that were interesting, guess I was remembering it wrong, they were mostly boring as hell.

Just got this message back from TCM:

Hi Mickie:

We're tracking the issue with the CARSON ON TCM (2013) episode switch right now. Was it just with "CARSON..." that you noted this issue?

Our Best,

The TCM Social Team, US & Canada

I let them know they showed the Carson's shows scheduled for next week and asked when we will see Lucy's interview.

Yeah, I was lucky with that.  Here I am watching Glee's first five minutes and then switched when I remembered Lucy was supposed to be on TCM.  But because I have several stations that show the same programs, I was able to watch it at nine on a western station.  Getting back to what you said yesterday about Glee.  The reason we watch it is certainly not because of the brilliant writing, but all those great young performers, usually the musical numbers make up for the lousy scripts.  But I noticed even those musical numbers are not what they used to be.  Kristin Cheneweth and Gwyneth Paltrow were on though.  And it was the 100th episode AND next year they wrap everything up and end the series so it just has to get better.

If this thread is referring to Lucy's late '70s (1977?) appearance on The Tonight Show in which she promotes daytime Here's Lucy reruns, that interview was posted briefly on TCM's mobile application a couple of days ago. It's since been taken down; hopefully that will air soon, as it is quite funny.

Reminds me of the time I got the TV Guide in May of 1968 and Lucy was listed as a guest on "Mike Douglas".  They announce the guests at the beginning of the show but Lucy was not among them.  I almost turned it off.  Luckily I kept watching because well into the show, after some sister group sang, Mike, reading from cue cards, introduced an "older sister"  and out walks Lucy to surprise him.  They talk for a while.  This was the first time I had seen Lucy on a talk show and I had no idea her normal speaking voice was so low.  They're showing a bunch of stills from her shows with Lucy commenting on them.  The last one was Lucy on stilts.  Mike, reading from cue cards again, asks Lucy if she would like to meet the world's champion lady stilt walker.  "Indeed I would!" said Lucy with more enthusiasm than a no-name guest would warrant.  I was fooled too because I turned off my tape recorder.  The curtains part and there's Viv with her back to the camera trying, unsuccessfully to mount the stilts.  It takes Lucy and Mike a moment to realize who it is. 

How the Mike Douglas staff pulled that off is amazing!  I think the show was done from Philadelphia, so they had to fly to the two of them in, put them up at different hotels and make sure they arrived and were secluded from Mike and each other.

About a year later, Viv is the guest and they talk about this show and Mike points out that "TV Guide did a 2-page spread on it".

I sure hope the video of this surfaces some day. You'd think if they were going to keep any, they would have kept this one.