Lucy Sightings!

Brock

Lucie was a "question" on Jeopardy tonight. The category was "L.A." and the answer was: On July 17, 1951, the Ball dropped this actress...a Desilu Production."

"The Ball dropped this actress" is a very odd way of putting it.

My favorite Lucy question on Jeopardy was from years ago: an audio 'daily double' where the contestant was to guess who was doing the singing ("Hey Look Me Over" from the Wildcat LP) . His guess: GWEN VERDON!

I'm so glad we have "Wildcat" preserved to rub into the noses of people who say Lucy could not sing and should never have done musicals. It came along just at the right time: when Lucy's vocal powers were at their peak. Granted that's not saying much. In those days, cast recordings were done on a Sunday, a day when theaters were dark. The cast and orchestra convened at Webster Hall, usually the Sunday after the opening, and did the recording live, thereby preserving the feel of the theatrical experience. Imperfections were left in, such as Lucy's "Tippy Tippy Toes" throat clearing.

Cast recording were still very popular in 1961. "Wildcat" made the Billboard charts long after the show had closed, peaking as the 12th best selling album of the week, a position it maintained for some time.

"The Ball dropped this actress" is a very odd way of putting it.

My favorite Lucy question on Jeopardy was from years ago: an audio 'daily double' where the contestant was to guess who was doing the singing ("Hey Look Me Over" from the Wildcat LP) . His guess: GWEN VERDON!

I'm so glad we have "Wildcat" preserved to rub into the noses of people who say Lucy could not sing and should never have done musicals. It came along just at the right time: when Lucy's vocal powers were at their peak. Granted that's not saying much. In those days, cast recordings were done on a Sunday, a day when theaters were dark. The cast and orchestra convened at Webster Hall, usually the Sunday after the opening, and did the recording live, thereby preserving the feel of the theatrical experience. Imperfections were left in, such as Lucy's "Tippy Tippy Toes" throat clearing.

Cast recording were still very popular in 1961. "Wildcat" made the Billboard charts long after the show had closed, peaking as the 12th best selling album of the week, a position it maintained for some time.

I don't know it was that popular an album. i just love it. Lucy's vocal powers were at peak and it was just fun for her to be doing this musical. Too bad the schedule made her ill. She should have done Mame around here though Mame still is enjoyable fourteen years later.

I was at my local farmers' market this morning and spotted this out of the corner of my eye. After I finished feeling lightheaded that someone actually took them out of the box, I snapped a photo:

farmersmarket.jpg

Love the idea, but I'm with you, Brock, they took them out of the box?! I NEVER take mine out! It's too risky! :lucydisgust:

Love the idea, but I'm with you, Brock, they took them out of the box?! I NEVER take mine out! It's too risky! :lucydisgust:

One thing I regret as a child about getting my first Lucy doll was taking it out the box. It was the Paris gown doll. I took her hat off, hell, the whole outfit. Changed her into all my different 50s style dresses, played with her as a doll. I then created my own Ricky doll out of a black haired Ken, Ethel out of a 80s Barbie, Little Ricky, and I had an old man stuffed doll as Fred (HAHA) and played my own I Love Lucy episodes! As fun as it was, I regret it. Still have the box and the doll but the clothes are MIA. I regret it, but hey I was 8 or 9 and that doll is full of memories?! Haha. I guess putting red lipstick on and my Lucy wig and pretending I was her wasn't enough for me! :D

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I regret as a child about getting my first Lucy doll was taking it out the box. It was the Paris gown doll. I took her hat off, hell, the whole outfit. Changed her into all my different 50s style dresses, played with her as a doll. I then created my own Ricky doll out of a black haired Ken, Ethel out of a 80s Barbie, Little Ricky, and I had an old man stuffed doll as Fred (HAHA) and played my own I Love Lucy episodes! As fun as it was, I regret it. Still have the box and the doll but the clothes are MIA. I regret it, but hey I was 8 or 9 and that doll is full of memories?! Haha. I guess putting red lipstick on and my Lucy wig and pretending I was her wasn't enough for me! :D

Haha I'm just now seeing this! But those memories are precious! I never played with Barbie dolls, so when I got mine it was a no brainer! But honestly, I wish I did have a memory of playing with at least one like that. I'm from such a small town in GA that when I was younger the only way to get any Lucy items were to drive to the next town, and all that they had were "The Lucy Show" dvds. I'm happy they did, because it exposed me to a Lucille Ball show other than just "I Love Lucy." But when I was really young the only Lucy things I had were the Calendars and TLS dvds, unless we came across something when we were in a bigger city (an I always looked). Fortunately, they have a few more things in the next town now, but still not a lot. I live in Savannah now and just recently found a cute little art shop that sells paintings and they have several Lucy tin signs. Next payday, I know where I'm going! :professor:

Haha I'm just now seeing this! But those memories are precious! I never played with Barbie dolls, so when I got mine it was a no brainer! But honestly, I wish I did have a memory of playing with at least one like that. I'm from such a small town in GA that when I was younger the only way to get any Lucy items were to drive to the next town, and all that they had were "The Lucy Show" dvds. I'm happy they did, because it exposed me to a Lucille Ball show other than just "I Love Lucy." But when I was really young the only Lucy things I had were the Calendars and TLS dvds, unless we came across something when we were in a bigger city (an I always looked). Fortunately, they have a few more things in the next town now, but still not a lot. I live in Savannah now and just recently found a cute little art shop that sells paintings and they have several Lucy tin signs. Next payday, I know where I'm going! :professor:

Yeah, i got those TIN signs also, and the magnets and even a Lucy CUP, years ago you could never find anything like that anywhere here.

I went to the gay village last Sunday morning and picked up all the free gay newspapers and magazines and one of them, all about the Maritime provinces called WAYVES had a Lucy lookalike on the cover, a lady in that polka dot blue dress, apron and Lucy wig, so obviously made up like Lucy, if you look hard enough, the lady is E V E R Y W H E R E !

I got a set of DVDs of "Our Miss Brooks". Actually very enjoyable. The cast is great and the scripts on the episodes I've watched anyway keep things clipping along. Now I don't feel so bad about Eve winning an Emmy over Lucy that one time. She's really got a lot of style and charm...and as Desi said: "No one can deliver a line like Eve Arden."

Like December Bride, the sets, the scoring and some of the audience response 'sweetening' is very much in the style of I Love Lucy. Natural since both were Desilu produced (or co-produced).

In one episode, Walter (25+ year old high school sophomore Richard Crenna) brings in a little figurine that looks like a baby. Walter: Miss Brooks, do you know what this is?

Connie: Lucy had another baby?

I also got a set of December Bride's. The kitchen is the very same set from ILL--with very little attempt to disguise it with alterations. Same appliances in the same place. The shutters to the next room, the door, cabinets, and the breakfast nook counter: all identical. I've seen some other December Brides and I don't remember the kitchen being this similar.

Yeah, i got those TIN signs also, and the magnets and even a Lucy CUP, years ago you could never find anything like that anywhere here.

The pickins are still pretty slim in GA, but it's getting better! I usually just order my stuff from the internet or buy it when I'm out of state.

CBS Sunday Morning had a feature on Alex Trebeck this morning. They showed a picture with him and Lucy. I didn't recognize the show it was from. It has Alex holding a long stick Mic, and Lucy standng next to him talking. It looks to be 70's or early 80's. Anyone have an idea on what this is from?

This week's People Magazine (Jennifer Aniston cover) has two suggestions for an ILL remake: Kristin Wiig as Lucy and Andy Samberg as Ricky. :lucyshock:

The first thing wrong with this is the proposition of an ILL remake to begin with! We don't need another ILL! And I absolutely adore Kristen Wiig, but she is no Lucy! I would rather see a spin-off comedy where the character is a Lucy relative. But NO ONE can play Lucy. Sheesh, give it up already people!

CBS Sunday Morning had a feature on Alex Trebeck this morning. They showed a picture with him and Lucy. I didn't recognize the show it was from. It has Alex holding a long stick Mic, and Lucy standng next to him talking. It looks to be 70's or early 80's. Anyone have an idea on what this is from?

It was probably from the game show High Rollers. Lucy made an appearance once on the show. Lucy loved the show and Alex Trebek and she recommended him to Merv Griffin when he was looking for a host for Jeopardy.

It was probably from the game show High Rollers. Lucy made an appearance once on the show. Lucy loved the show and Alex Trebek and she recommended him to Merv Griffin when he was looking for a host for Jeopardy.

Harry is correct as always, it was from High Rollers and here's the shot, circa 1977. Appears to be none other than Ruta Lee on the right.

LB_HighRoller_77.jpg