Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright.. I don't like the caption "Let the Laughs Begin".. on the menu of the I Love Lucy dvd set... I also don't like the fact that most of my I Love Lucy collection on dvd.. fails to play properly.. or skips or doesn't play at all.. and when you look at the discs.. rarely do you see scratches or damage.. I don't know.. maybe my dvd player is acting up... Just curious that my video tapes are still great.. but my dvds are the ones acting up.. the only video tape lucy related that I wore out.. was Mame recorded off of broadcast tv... what is the deal with the dvds?? AND now I guess I will have to go and get the other ones that are out... even tho I think the box art is ridiculous..

Really? Only problem I have with my Lucy DVDs is one of my first season TLS disc, part of Antenna episode episode doesnt work, its like 15 seconds but still. I got it like that though, not my damage.

Alright.. I don't like the caption "Let the Laughs Begin".. on the menu of the I Love Lucy dvd set... I also don't like the fact that most of my I Love Lucy collection on dvd.. fails to play properly.. or skips or doesn't play at all.. and when you look at the discs.. rarely do you see scratches or damage.. I don't know.. maybe my dvd player is acting up... Just curious that my video tapes are still great.. but my dvds are the ones acting up.. the only video tape lucy related that I wore out.. was Mame recorded off of broadcast tv... what is the deal with the dvds?? AND now I guess I will have to go and get the other ones that are out... even tho I think the box art is ridiculous..

First time i have heard this, definitely try them on other dvd players BEFORE you go replacing them all. I think out of thousands of dvds i own, only one or two have slight defects and those were bought USED at Blockbuster.

Really? Only problem I have with my Lucy DVDs is one of my first season TLS disc, part of Antenna episode episode doesnt work, its like 15 seconds but still. I got it like that though, not my damage.

Oh wait a minute, i did have a bad experience with one Lucy show dvd i think that would stop playing on one episode and i just replaced it.

It does sound like it is your dvd player as I haven't heard any other complaints about the ILL sets. My own dvd player right now is not playing my DVD-RW discs correctly, one site says that means the laser is starting to go, don't know if that's accurate or not. I agree with you though for all the better picture quality of dvds they do seem more troublesome and with more problems than the old videotapes, couldn't count how many blank dvds I've had to throw away because they wouldn't work. I also slightly hate the new artwork covers for the ILL sets, just too Mad magazineish for me.

It does sound like it is your dvd player as I haven't heard any other complaints about the ILL sets. My own dvd player right now is not playing my DVD-RW discs correctly, one site says that means the laser is starting to go, don't know if that's accurate or not. I agree with you though for all the better picture quality of dvds they do seem more troublesome and with more problems than the old videotapes, couldn't count how many blank dvds I've had to throw away because they wouldn't work. I also slightly hate the new artwork covers for the ILL sets, just too Mad magazineish for me.

Huh, scuse me people, but dun't any of you remember how nuts those damned VHS tapes used to make us? Always skipping on repeated viewings, glitches everywhere, color fading on recopying etc . . .none of that happens with dvds now. I may not like the hassle of trying to copy one, when VHS were so easy that even a putz like me could do it, but still . . .

Also, have you tried furniture polish? Look it up! It works wonders on screwed up DVDs. I have yet to try it on a Lucy DVD but I did it on my Rocky Horror DVD due to all the scratches and little glitches on it from rehearsing that thing constantly. But it did work wonders!

Huh, scuse me people, but dun't any of you remember how nuts those damned VHS tapes used to make us? Always skipping on repeated viewings, glitches everywhere, color fading on recopying etc . . .none of that happens with dvds now. I may not like the hassle of trying to copy one, when VHS were so easy that even a putz like me could do it, but still . . .

I'm just saying.. the damn dvds were supposed to be sooo superior to video tape and now... 4 years of ownership and I can't even watch disc one of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour.. some of my I Love Lucy episodes are unwatchable period (season 5 in the french jail).. and now some Lucy Show episodes are skipping (the one with the one armed man on the run).. what gives?? It's not like I tie them to the back of the car and drag them through those old loggin ruts!

Also, have you tried furniture polish? Look it up! It works wonders on screwed up DVDs. I have yet to try it on a Lucy DVD but I did it on my Rocky Horror DVD due to all the scratches and little glitches on it from rehearsing that thing constantly. But it did work wonders!

I heard PEANUT BUTTER was the thing to use for scratches.

I'm just saying.. the damn dvds were supposed to be sooo superior to video tape and now... 4 years of ownership and I can't even watch disc one of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour.. some of my I Love Lucy episodes are unwatchable period (season 5 in the french jail).. and now some Lucy Show episodes are skipping (the one with the one armed man on the run).. what gives?? It's not like I tie them to the back of the car and drag them through those old loggin ruts!

Well, that's what i'm saying, nobody else has had that kind of SPERIENCE, so it HAS to be your dvd PLAYER that's screwing them up. I've never heard of such a thin. :lucydisgust: I can certainly understand your anger, that's sorta like expecting Dennis Quaid in bed and then getting his brother Randy instead.

I heard PB too, but wouldn't putting food on them get funky after awhile.

I think you're supposed to wipe it off afterwards and the only tiny little bit that stays in there is only in the cracks that you wanted to fill in in the first place. But hey, i just read this, i never tried it. My boyfriend ruined at least a hundred dvds that i made for him of First 48 by constantly stacking them one on top of the other, always rubbing up against each other, now he knows better and puts them all in sleeves or small envelopes.

Well to be honest, from the problems you describe, it sounds more like the problem is your machine, not the discs. If it's a DVD Recorder model, I would suspect, especially if you've used it heavily, it may well be the laser. They don't seem to be made to last -- with constant use, anyway -- more than 2 or 3 years, tops. If it's a player-only model, I would think it'd last longer but still, the laser once it goes, the machine is pretty much done for.

Now try to find a DVD recorder for sale! The ones with built-in tuners (of their own) to record broadcasts directly are vanishing from the marketplace. Not sure why exactly but perhaps the manufacturers are getting heat from networks, etc. since they seem to have just figured out we can make pristine digital copies of their copyrighted broadcasts for easy replication. Idiots! lucyshock.JPG

Well to be honest, from the problems you describe, it sounds more like the problem is your machine, not the discs. If it's a DVD Recorder model, I would suspect, especially if you've used it heavily, it may well be the laser. They don't seem to be made to last -- with constant use, anyway -- more than 2 or 3 years, tops. If it's a player-only model, I would think it'd last longer but still, the laser once it goes, the machine is pretty much done for.

Now try to find a DVD recorder for sale! The ones with built-in tuners (of their own) to record broadcasts directly are vanishing from the marketplace. Not sure why exactly but perhaps the manufacturers are getting heat from networks, etc. since they seem to have just figured out we can make pristine digital copies of their copyrighted broadcasts for easy replication. Idiots! lucyshock.JPG

Yeah, i noticed that too, there is only O N E model available right now here in Canada and i'd better buy it quick as they are definitely going, i assumed it was because everybody has those recorders like Tivo with their set ups now so they no longer record with these but i DO!

Yeah but nobody's sayin' VHS are better, just easier to deal with in terms of recordings (as you mention above). My main regret in VHS recording is not doing everything worth keeping in SP format, those have held up amazing well with rare exceptions. My Lucy memorial stuff still plays great after 23 years and even several of those I record in EP. The glitches and jumping picture on tapes that don't hold up do drive one crazy though as you mention.

Yes indeed, most stores only have one (count' em) model of DVD recorder and it's usually a DVD recorder/VHS combo. If you're lucky you find one store with one DVDR/VHS and one DVD recorder but as you mention they both will need tuners. It is really digusting how the studios have apparently bullied DVDRs off the market which they were never able to do to the VCR.

Yeah, i noticed that too, there is only O N E model available right now here in Canada and i'd better buy it quick as they are definitely going, i assumed it was because everybody has those recorders like Tivo with their set ups now so they no longer record with these but i DO!

That's exactly it the generally public doesn't really have the desire to keep their recordings and Tivo and DVR works nicely for them so DVDR sales haven't been all that great and the studios apparently have been intimidating their manufacturers from really pursuing the market. It stinks because so much material would be "lost" today if not for "private collectors". 99.9 percent of oldtime radio appearances that circulate today probably would be lost if not for fans saving the original discs and likely over 50 percent of the silent movies and 1950's television that exists today is because fans saved prints.

Yeah but nobody's sayin' VHS are better, just easier to deal with in terms of recordings (as you mention above). My main regret in VHS recording is not doing everything worth keeping in SP format, those have held up amazing well with rare exceptions. My Lucy memorial stuff still plays great after 23 years and even several of those I record in EP. The glitches and jumping picture on tapes that don't hold up do drive one crazy though as you mention.

I know what you mean, i stupidly copied three movies on one VHS tape to save money or even 4 Lucy movies sometimes, her early ones were so short but you lost quality in doing so and it was such a hassle to find the third movie to play it, you'd have to fast forward through the whole thin. Lucy doing Hey Look Him Over at the Kennedy Center for Hope was so bad after being recopied over and over for fans that it was just a mess of blue and red, her dress and her hair, you couldn't even recognize her, sound still the same though thank God. And that Beta to VHS to DVD thing made me lose so much priceless Lucy material too.

That's exactly it the generally public doesn't really have the desire to keep their recordings and Tivo and DVR works nicely for them so DVDR sales haven't been all that great and the studios apparently have been intimidating their manufacturers from really pursuing the market. It stinks because so much material would be "lost" today if not for "private collectors". 99.9 percent of oldtime radio appearances that circulate today probably would be lost if not for fans saving the original discs and likely over 50 percent of the silent movies and 1950's television that exists today is because fans saved prints.

True, i copy all this stuff and then never have the time or the willingness to watch any of it. Especially the award shows, they haven't made one worth rewatching in a decade. I looked at my Lucy drawer of DVDs the other day adn it's amazing how much of that has come out now on dvd that will last forever. Well, for MY life anyway.

Yup.. this is an umpopular opinion in Lucy Land..

Here it goes:

I really like "Lucy the Superwoman"... I think is a fun change of pace.. I can understand how many would not like this episode.. but I really enjoy it.. I am not bothered by the premise and completely enjoy it from beginning to end. I really have to hand it to her for "thinking outside the box" and I am glad she did because this episode to me is an example of how far she was willing to go with her character.

Yup.. this is an umpopular opinion in Lucy Land..

Here it goes:

I really like "Lucy the Superwoman"... I think is a fun change of pace.. I can understand how many would not like this episode.. but I really enjoy it.. I am not bothered by the premise and completely enjoy it from beginning to end. I really have to hand it to her for "thinking outside the box" and I am glad she did because this episode to me is an example of how far she was willing to go with her character.

Why are you giving HER the credit, it was the writers who came up with that nonsense. I understand that they were running out of ideas but still, i don't dislike it as much as the stupid animal episodes or the man in a gorilla suit or mooney the monkey or drafted or many others that are lots worse. You're right about one thing, it IS different all right, LOL! But maybe it would have been better IN THE BOX, LOL! Just joking, haven't seen it recently to really discuss this properly.

Why are you giving HER the credit, it was the writers who came up with that nonsense. I understand that they were running out of ideas but still, i don't dislike it as much as the stupid animal episodes or the man in a gorilla suit or mooney the monkey or drafted or many others that are lots worse. You're right about one thing, it IS different all right, LOL! But maybe it would have been better IN THE BOX, LOL! Just joking, haven't seen it recently to really discuss this properly.

Well... I am giving HER the credit.. because she didn't NIX it... and I think it was planned for a Gilligan's Island episode and then sold to Gary with the provisio "if you don't think it's funny, you don't have to pay for it".. Besides.. I like the "special" effects of the episode!

Archived