Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

Well... I am giving HER the credit.. because she didn't NIX it... and I think it was planned for a Gilligan's Island episode and then sold to Gary with the provisio "if you don't think it's funny, you don't have to pay for it".. Besides.. I like the "special" effects of the episode!

Well, those were the magic words for gary to accept a script all right, LOL! Lucy and special effects, now THAT's a great subject. Seeing her hooked up with invisible wires for that Orson Welles magic trick, that she found so uncomfortable. I'd still like to know how that was done. The only special effect in the stuntwoman ep that i recall was the lifting of that dresser in her apartment. What are some of the others?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, those were the magic words for gary to accept a script all right, LOL! Lucy and special effects, now THAT's a great subject. Seeing her hooked up with invisible wires for that Orson Welles magic trick, that she found so uncomfortable. I'd still like to know how that was done. The only special effect in the stuntwoman ep that i recall was the lifting of that dresser in her apartment. What are some of the others?

Claude.. so many.. Lifting the computer off Mr. Mooney.. Breaking the typewritter carriage, stapling so hard the desk corner breaks.. pushing the file cabinet drawer through the wall... breaking the door in the office.. breaking the door into her appartment.. busting her rifrigerator door... busting the pillar in her apartment.. etc.. all of these (in the suspended belief that she is super strong) and Mary Jane's comment "Gosh Lucy your S T R O N G !" contribute to a quirky fun episode!

Claude.. so many.. Lifting the computer off Mr. Mooney.. Breaking the typewritter carriage, stapling so hard the desk corner breaks.. pushing the file cabinet drawer through the wall... breaking the door in the office.. breaking the door into her appartment.. busting her rifrigerator door... busting the pillar in her apartment.. etc.. all of these (in the suspended belief that she is super strong) and Mary Jane's comment "Gosh Lucy your S T R O N G !" contribute to a quirky fun episode!

Yeah, sure sounds like it, i'll just have to find the time to look at that one again in an unbiased way. It's just that i've always heard how bad that show is so i was starting to believe it myself. I just have to stop reading the Lucy book so much.

Yup.. this is an umpopular opinion in Lucy Land..

Here it goes:

I really like "Lucy the Superwoman"... I think is a fun change of pace.. I can understand how many would not like this episode.. but I really enjoy it.. I am not bothered by the premise and completely enjoy it from beginning to end. I really have to hand it to her for "thinking outside the box" and I am glad she did because this episode to me is an example of how far she was willing to go with her character.

I don't mind it at all. Some good physical comedy. I also heard the Gilligans Island fact before, but its true I think it would've worked well with that show. Gilligans Island makes TLS seem full of common sense. Lol. But the thing I like most about that episode is Lucy's wig. Haha.

I don't mind it at all. Some good physical comedy. I also heard the Gilligans Island fact before, but its true I think it would've worked well with that show. Gilligans Island makes TLS seem full of common sense. Lol. But the thing I like most about that episode is Lucy's wig. Haha.

Well, a superwig for a superwoman, ha ha ha ha ha .

I also like "Lucy, the Superwoman" (it stretches credibility past the usual Lucy limits, but I can't help but laugh). I'll confess to laughing during "Lucy the Babysitter" and "Lucy and the Astronauts", as well. And I fully expect to be tarred and feathered for admitting this, but the Wayne Newton shows are among my fave "guest star" episodes (and I'm fully aware that "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" is beyond corny...lol!). ;)

I also like "Lucy, the Superwoman" (it stretches credibility past the usual Lucy limits, but I can't help but laugh). I'll confess to laughing during "Lucy the Babysitter" and "Lucy and the Astronauts", as well. And I fully expect to be tarred and feathered for admitting this, but the Wayne Newton shows are among my fave "guest star" episodes (and I'm fully aware that "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" is beyond corny...lol!). ;)

W O W , well stated opinions, great avatar picture, bottom one out of this world and Canadian too? Where have you been all my life? :lucythrill: And i love your name too.

The Newton episodes have their charms. I'd probably be more partial to them if I hadn't seen that video of him kissing up to Michele Bachmann, but that's just me :)

Lucy the Superwoman was a clever idea, but it clearly shows its origins as a Gilligan's Island proposal.

Lucy and the Astronauts, in particular, was a real gem. I was very pleasantly surprised by that show.

Wayne, unfortunately was one of Lucy's faves, and when she liked someone, she encouraged them and wanted to work with them and guided them and so on, more than she ever got when she was first strating out. As Carol B once said of her, she was very nurturing to young talent.

• 1 month later...

Wayne, unfortunately was one of Lucy's faves, and when she liked someone, she encouraged them and wanted to work with them and guided them and so on, more than she ever got when she was first strating out. As Carol B once said of her, she was very nurturing to young talent.

Wayne Newton was already a star before Lucy decided to showcase him. Jackie Gleason had the guy on his variety show many, many times. Lucy was just hopelessly out of touch with what was popular in the 60s and beyond. She liked the 40s and 50s, felt more comfortable there, and it came through in her material. Kids of 1965 didn't like Wayne Newton. He was hopelessly squaresville!

Wayne Newton was already a star before Lucy decided to showcase him. Jackie Gleason had the guy on his variety show many, many times. Lucy was just hopelessly out of touch with what was popular in the 60s and beyond. She liked the 40s and 50s, felt more comfortable there, and it came through in her material. Kids of 1965 didn't like Wayne Newton. He was hopelessly squaresville!

Another perfect example of you not knowing what the frig you're talking about, Wayne mentions both Lucy and Gleason in his autobio as having given him his start. It was she who lost him for a pilot as she warned him he'd be that character for the remainder of his career, he'd never have been the King of Vegas had he done that tv show.

Archived